Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
GL Goes TSE
01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
RE: GL Goes TSE
Heh, sorry about that.
just stress that has been brewing up(its been kinda crazy for me recently :o )
Didnt mean to scare ya there Yellow, but i hope you understand the point Smile

this seems to be a really big issue with community members with ALL indie games, not just ours, and its has been getting to me for a while, n top of lotso responisiblilities around the house, etc, etc

Also:
it would be a HUGE!!! help if we could have at least 1 dedicated model converter. Someone to convert the old models to use in Torque, or any models that are finished amd convert them to torque. this would speed up develeopment quite considerably, and would take alot of work off of my shoulders Wink

Talk to JoeB if you\'d like more info about this job spot
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Ild do it if i new how to.
01-26-2005, 09:34 AM
does it require any coding? I only have basic skills in Java and even still I\'d have to brush up with it again. If it\'s just a copy and paste thing, sure I can do it.
01-26-2005, 09:42 AM
nope really this is how the job goes:
(note ive only done this is milkshape Confused but the process is essentially the same)
import model(usually 3ds format) -> check it over, apply texture if needbe, add collisions if need be(most likely this step will become uneeded when i get the phsyics engine in) -> export to DTS
thats pretty much how it goes. really the only requirement is having a modeling proggie.
01-30-2005, 12:48 AM
Well, Reno, I respect what you have to say(and I fully understand that TTR is a volunteer effort), but all we ever hear is \'TTR:T stuff is the schfizzle, that other game bites\' but we never see anything!

It\'s frustrating for us on the otherside, to be told that \'any minute now, we are gonna blow your socks off\' for months on end, and never see this stuff. Maybe it\'s just me, but I thought we were supposed to get a major update when the new forums went online.

Otherwise, I have a bunch of 3D programs, but I believe that none of them will import 3ds files. Much less export DTS files. So, sorry I can\'t help out there.

@Yellowbelly, there are also plenty of times that the forums here have been dead for a while, and most of the people claimed that TTR development was dead. But it just keeps going!

Otherwise, I will take gameplay over graphics any day, and I am excited to have the possibility of TWO, count em, TWO Independent WWII Western Front based games to play, along with a few mods and commercial games.

SC
02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
You don\'t need to be able to import .dts files. As for exporting to .dts, there are several exporters for different programs, I generally use Milkshape because the 3ds max exporter has problems. I just compiled TSE and have a newer version of the max exporter and will see if it works.

The screens in my sig are from Torque. It\'s easy to export static models, a little harder with animated ones. I\'m using Milkshape and Gamestudio to pactice animating. I really want to use 3ds max though.
02-04-2005, 01:40 PM
To do the job, do you have to buy the TSE? I wouldn\'t know how to apply a texture and add collisions.
02-05-2005, 11:29 AM
You don\'t have to buy TSE unless you\'re going to work with the source code. As far as modeling stuff, there would be no need to purchase it. But if you don\'t know how to apply textures or collision meshes, that might be a problem. There\'s a book called \"3D Game Programing All in One\" that teaches you the basics of modeling and texturing for use in Torque. It also teaches about scripting, but that is not needed to export models.