Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
some suggestions
12-01-2005, 02:56 AM
RE: some suggestions
That\'s why they invented the gas chambers, Del. They got the teqnique from the third reich way of dealing with their own ?untermensch?. If ya ever get the chance of catching the brilliant BBC series about the enormous Auswitch deathcamps, ya\'ll learn all about it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Actually they searched quikly for a way to get rid of killing squads because executions like that undermine morale really fast.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-01-2005, 03:32 AM
RE: RE: some suggestions
tomcat ha Wrote:Actually they searched quikly for a way to get rid of killing squads because executions like that undermine morale really fast.
Excuse me? So you\'re saying, they made the gas chambers because soldiers might\'ve become uncomfortable with shooting people, or something? :con:
12-01-2005, 03:35 AM
Yeah basically. Even Himmler reccommended it.
12-01-2005, 03:52 AM
I guess shooting old men, women and children was a bit too much even for the average german soldier.
12-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Well average german soldiers couldnt take it well at all. Even fanatical Waffen SS soldiers couldnt do it more than a couple of times.
12-01-2005, 04:35 AM
I did not know that. But I\'m thinking gassing people is perhaps more cruel than shooting them, if you can put a gauge on different ways to kill people to begin with.
12-01-2005, 04:53 AM
RE: RE: some suggestions
delerium10101 Wrote:Well, interesting catch here. Sure, we could say "corpse is here" but the precise arrangement is up to the client, however, collisions would get very screwy with the corpse (you will not be able to walk through corpses like it was nothing). And other things may collide with the corpse, like shrapnel. If the arrangement of the various limbs differs from computer to computer, we can\'t do things like that. The server says one thing, client A sees something different, and client B sees something different still. The server might say that shrapnel did hit client A, while client A sees the shrapnel blocked and client B sees some shrapnel hit and some miss. Personally, it\'s little details like using your fallen comrades as meat shields that add that extra immersive factor to a game, and unless client/server are in agreement, we can\'t do that without making people frustrated. And yes, collisions are in fact that accurate. No bounding box collisions for us, no no. If we do ragdoll, we will probably use the cheap cheat known as "precomputed ragdoll" which really means "ooh, spiffy animation!". Much *much* cheaper. A single byte transmitted once to indicate the animation, and no additional overhead beyond that.

And two X1800XTs? I am officially obligated to hate you.
Hmmm... Ok you won Tongue...

But what if you let the server sync the most important bone/joint-positions to every client after a certain timeinterval?

And 2 X1800XTs... Well, I\'ve been saving up for years now. But I don\'t see 2x X1800XT coming...
I think I\'ll start with just 1, and after a year I\'ll buy a second one.
12-01-2005, 06:10 AM
RE: RE: RE: some suggestions
SgtH3nry3 Wrote:
delerium10101 Wrote:Well, interesting catch here. Sure, we could say "corpse is here" but the precise arrangement is up to the client, however, collisions would get very screwy with the corpse (you will not be able to walk through corpses like it was nothing). And other things may collide with the corpse, like shrapnel. If the arrangement of the various limbs differs from computer to computer, we can\'t do things like that. The server says one thing, client A sees something different, and client B sees something different still. The server might say that shrapnel did hit client A, while client A sees the shrapnel blocked and client B sees some shrapnel hit and some miss. Personally, it\'s little details like using your fallen comrades as meat shields that add that extra immersive factor to a game, and unless client/server are in agreement, we can\'t do that without making people frustrated. And yes, collisions are in fact that accurate. No bounding box collisions for us, no no. If we do ragdoll, we will probably use the cheap cheat known as "precomputed ragdoll" which really means "ooh, spiffy animation!". Much *much* cheaper. A single byte transmitted once to indicate the animation, and no additional overhead beyond that.

And two X1800XTs? I am officially obligated to hate you.
Hmmm... Ok you won Tongue...

But what if you let the server sync the most important bone/joint-positions to every client after a certain timeinterval?

And 2 X1800XTs... Well, I\'ve been saving up for years now. But I don\'t see 2x X1800XT coming...
I think I\'ll start with just 1, and after a year I\'ll buy a second one.
you should get graphics cards designed for direct X 10, it will probably be worth the wait Smile and you might have saved even more by then lol.
12-01-2005, 07:52 AM
yeah and once those dx10 cards are out, you should wait for the dx11 cards, shouldn\'t take too long then Tongue