Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jurrasic Park around the corner?
04-10-2005, 04:09 AM
RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
Cs-137 is an anthropogenic form of Caesium. It is only created by nuclear reactions.... only natural source is stars (of which it does not appear penetrate the atmosphere)... it has a half life of 50 years and appears on the Earth (in particular the northern hemisphere) once nuclear weapons are being detonated.... fallout levels dropped sharply in the 1970s with the ban of above ground nuclear weapons testing, however Chernobyl injected a fresh layer of Cs-137 into the atmosphere that was deposited. If there are no more injections of Cs-137 into the atmosphere, it cannot be used for dating in about 20 years time.

Also, forgot to say, Carbon dating (in particular the most common C-14/C-13/C-12 ratio system) cannot be used for dating anything that originated in the past 150 years as the Industrial revolution + modern industry disturbed the natural ratio of C-14/C-13 that was present on the planet.

Vips
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2005, 04:19 AM
RE: RE: RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
viper Wrote:
Yellowbelly Wrote:I believe humans walked with dinosaurs. But then again, that dating thing is not accurate at all. You could take one sample and it will give all sorts of readings with different types of dating.

Tell you\'re not a scientist.... Carbon dating is inaccurate however, on the time scales being talked about, the accuracy is MINISCULE.

That only depends on how old you think the earth is. I really don\'t believe carbon dating is accurate to 50 years. If it was, there would be no purpose of other innaccurate types of dating.
04-11-2005, 04:54 AM
RE: RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:OMFGITSSOHUGE!!!!!11111osaurus :lol:
You mean my johnson? Tongue
04-11-2005, 05:01 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
Yellowbelly Wrote:I really don\'t believe carbon dating is accurate to 50 years.

A. Do a scientific degree where you actually use dating techniques
B. Finish a proper education first

Its amazing how people query proven methods that have been used for a long time (and its accuracy has been proven).
04-11-2005, 05:14 AM
RE: RE: RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
w00p Wrote:
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:OMFGITSSOHUGE!!!!!11111osaurus :lol:
You mean my johnson? Tongue
Is it that ancient? Wink Tongue
04-11-2005, 06:58 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Jurrasic Park around the corner?
viper Wrote:
Yellowbelly Wrote:I really don\'t believe carbon dating is accurate to 50 years.

A. Do a scientific degree where you actually use dating techniques
B. Finish a proper education first

Its amazing how people query proven methods that have been used for a long time (and its accuracy has been proven).

How can it prove anything if it\'s not comparable to anything else unless it\'s dating something during recorded history?
04-11-2005, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2005 07:18 AM by viper.)
Have you ever heard of tree rings? In particular tree rings preserved in tar pits and peat bogs, fossil trees, and finally trees preserved in volcanic deposits (most common).... you know the date of the event that killed the tree/preserved it (why its volcanoes mainly)..... and cross reference with carbon dating = tests on its accuracy.

You\'d be surprised how many date verification systems out there.

Also, cores taken in lakes (excellent sources of climatic data) and glaciers have shown that carbon ratios have not changed during any milankovitch cycle (read up on them aswell if you want to talk about stuff like this), and as the half life of c14 and c12 are known, and the ratio they exist is known the dating system is very very accurate (on geologic time scales).
04-11-2005, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2005 10:20 AM by Sgt. Boomer.)
Carbon dating may be good, but it’s hardly infallible. And scientific advances frequently overturn older theories. Remember the flap about Neanderthal Man a few months ago?

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1196571/posts

“Professor Reiner Protsch von Zieten showed that Neanderthal Man existed in northern Europe. Calculations on skeletal remains found at Hahnofersand, near Hamburg, stated they were 36,000 years old.
Yet recent research at Oxford University\'s carbon-dating laboratory has suggested that they date back a mere 7,500 years. By that time, Homo sapiens was already well-established and the Neanderthals were extinct.”

“Another apparent misdating involved an allegedly prehistoric skull discovered near Paderborn in 1976 and considered the oldest human remain ever found in the region. Prof von Zieten dated the skull at 27,400 years old. The latest research, however, indicates that it belonged to an elderly man who died around 1750.
Germany\'s Herne anthropological museum, which owns the Paderborn skull, was so disturbed by the findings that it did its own tests. \"We had the skull cut open and it still smelt,\" the museum\'s director, Barbara Ruschoff-Thale, said last week. \"We are naturally very disappointed.\"”

( Sorry if I beat you to it Pun Tongue )
04-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Hehe, I honestly haven\'t researched the flaws of carbon dating enough to get into that argument.

Also, Tomcat. They believe that some dino\'s were warm blooded, while some were cold. Something about the body size and the energy needed to substain it if warm blooded or the body size and the amount of movement or mobility it needed if cold blooded.
04-11-2005, 07:50 PM
I first thought that too punisher but they simply evolved at a much faster pace than would be normal for cold blooded. So i drawed the conclusion that they were warm blooded.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user