Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which do you believe
03-22-2005, 10:39 AM
RE: Which do you believe
Alright, it\'s 1.18 at night and I\'m bored, and even though this thread\'s like more than a week old, I\'ll give it a shot...

I say: there\'s no path laid out before us, because I believe that the future doesn\'t exist yet. If there were such a thing as \"fate\" - which I see as an imaginary line on which you move through time and space - then it should in theory be possible to see this line: if it exists, it can be attested. If, for example, your \"fate\" is that you will be hit by a car at, say, 40, and you see this \"fate\", then you could easily change it by killing yourself before then.

What we will do tomorrow is what we decide ourselves. It might be a concoction of feelings we have built up until that moment when we do a certain thing, but it\'s definitely not something that\'s \"predestined\".
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
RE: RE: Which do you believe
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:If, for example, your "fate" is that you will be hit by a car at, say, 40, and you see this "fate", then you could easily change it by killing yourself before then.

Logically then, wouldnt that mean that because you saw your \'fate\' you in actuality fullfilled your true fate by killing yourself, which is where you would have gone because you knew that you would die.

hmm....paradoxes......
I beleive that, yes, in a partial sense, our fate is predetermined, in that major things in our life are determined for us. however smallerthings that dont *utlimately* affect your fate are decided by yourself.

unless you count death as your true future, then its def predetermined Wink
03-22-2005, 10:06 PM
RE: RE: RE: Which do you believe
Reno Wrote:
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:If, for example, your "fate" is that you will be hit by a car at, say, 40, and you see this "fate", then you could easily change it by killing yourself before then.

Logically then, wouldnt that mean that because you saw your \'fate\' you in actuality fullfilled your true fate by killing yourself, which is where you would have gone because you knew that you would die.

hmm....paradoxes......
Good point :think:

But I think if \"fate\" exists, you can\'t change it over the course of your life. After all, it\'s your \"fate\". So by killing yourself in my example, you would\'ve cheated it, changing the outcome of what \"fate\" had planned for you up until you would die at 40.
03-23-2005, 06:05 AM
RE: Which do you believe
My theological background says that you run on fate for the first few sections of your life, then you are on your own after that.

Or for Pun, six of one, half a dozen of the other!

SC