Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which do you believe
03-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Which do you believe
Interesting question.

Do you believe that everyone makes their own choices in life, and our destiny is completely random, depending on our actions. Or, do you believe that our lives are running down set tracks and have a set outcome?

Do we make our own future?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2005, 12:26 PM
RE: Which do you believe
Personally, I think its a bit of both.

Everyone is born with, and develops, a personality. This personality effects all of our decisions in life, and how we act. So technically, you could say it is somewhat planned allready.

For example, that kid in school who did drugs all the time, and never did any work, its not hard to see where his life is going. However, there are the odd things that throw us off, impulses, and random unfortunate/fortunate accidents.

So as much as I would like to say we make our own future, to some extent i belive it is allready decided for us by who we are.
03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
i think we choose our own fate, im prettyshure god didnt set it for me to chug a 5th of jack lastnight.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2005, 07:50 PM
I believe that we choose our own fate. I also believe that there are infinite number of universes in which everything happens what can happen.
03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
RE: RE: Which do you believe
tomcat ha Wrote:I believe that we choose our own fate. I also believe that there are infinite number of universes in which everything happens what can happen.

In that case, surely in this universe we don\'t decide our own fate, because if there is a universe for every different possible outcome, then this one is going to follow a pattern.
03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
I also think that we are the owners, and the prisoners, of our own decisions (I think this was a quote by someone). But life has many variables, and reality is made by a lot of things apart from yourself, so your decision making can be and already is conditioned or altered by external factors (the accidents already mentioned).

Anyway, I also think that we have some kind of inertia in our lives, maybe I wouldn\'t call it destiny, but some kind of preset path that you follow unconsciously, probably set by who you are and what\'s your environment. Although, you still have the ability to drive away from that preset road, maybe following a parallel one or even a tangential one, as long as you believe in yourself and are trust to what you really are (or you think you can be).

So, yes to both.
03-06-2005, 08:30 PM
JR it may seem because this universe will have this course well it isnt going to have this course. In each universe a different desicion will be made. Like instead of eating this cookie i will pet the cat.
03-06-2005, 08:37 PM
Yeah i\'m with tomcat here, fate is written out but every discision you take moves you down a different path, and theres an infinite number of universes which have all the different yous from all the different dicisions you ever made
03-07-2005, 01:44 AM
I\'m more for \"determine your own fate\", but \"a prewritten fate\" does hit me a bit. We all die, that IS our fate (unless someone finds immortality - the good kind, no Satanic pacts, ok?) and the part inbetween is what we get to write for ourselves.

I wouldn\'t know if there are infinite parallel universes that have slight changes - but it WOULD be infinite - let\'s say someone plays a chess game and moves their Knight off first, but in a parallel universe, all is the same as the former, except he starts with a King\'s pawn. Now that\'s quite infinite.
03-07-2005, 03:03 AM
No you don\'t get it Tom and Soul. If there are infinite number of universes where anything that could happen happens, that means that your life is preplanned out by fate.

Now, that doesn\'t mean that Fate has deemed you to do something great. Nothing has changed. It means that you still decide what you want, but say that it has already been decided.

Pretty much a worthless thought.