Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which do you believe
03-07-2005, 03:04 AM
RE: Which do you believe
I believe also that we can decide our own fate.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2005, 04:59 AM
you have this sayng in dutch:

er zijn meerdere wegen die naar Rome leiden

or something, it means

there are several paths which all lead to Rome

take Rome as the end of your life. I see it that what we become, has already been defined by some greater power or whatever. That even makes me say something: what the heck, I won\'t do this, cause my future is already set. but on the other hand, I sometimes say, ok, if you make this step, its like climbing the stairs to a slide, it makes the next steps easier, like if you were just sliding down...

but as Neo said: The problem is... choice. It\'s true; I often think: if i do A, this might happen, if I do B, this might happen. So a while back I decided to get a social life, and said \"yes\" to the question if I wanted to come along to Gouda. It made me get closer to them. If i\'d said no, i would\'ve missed out on several things and would have no idea what they were talking about if they would take about it.... So I\'ve taken my first step to a social life then, and now I\'m sliding down gently.
03-07-2005, 01:02 PM
RE: RE: Which do you believe
The_Punisher Wrote:Pretty much a worthless thought.

no because one day, down the line, we will be able to visit these worlds, (sliding i will call it) and be able to meet you with one changing point in your life and see difference it has made...

like that red dwarf with ace rimmer
03-07-2005, 06:36 PM
There are many things we have absolutely no control over: into which era, nation, culture, and family we’re born; what physical and mental advantages and disadvantages we’re born with; cats; and of course death.

And there are many things that we can choose, in fact we have more freedom to choose the major components of our life than any other people in any other era or culture: our jobs; our education; our homes; our friends; our wives. We don’t always get what we choose, and success or failure is often beyond our control, but we at least have the freedom to try to achieve what we want, and to refuse what we don’t want.

But the thing in life we have the most control over is ourselves: our attitudes; our responses; the small, seemingly insignificant choices for good or for ill that we face every day and that ultimately determine our character and who we are.

So while we will never have complete control over the external factors of our lives, we do have tremendous control over the person we become. And should that carry over beyond death to an afterlife, then we do indeed control our fate.

Quote:
\"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.\"
-Charles Swindoll
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2005, 07:42 PM
RE: RE: Which do you believe
Mengioto Wrote:you have this sayng in dutch:

er zijn meerdere wegen die naar Rome leiden

or something, it means

there are several paths which all lead to Rome
Mengie, That dutch saying, I think it is more ment as that there are more ways to get to a certain goal, i dont think it particular about fate.. more in the way of \"man, there is this cool bike in store \" you can either pay for it ( one way) or steel it (other way).

I dont think you can discuss much about this topic, you either believe it or not. I feel that i control my own life, if i decide to kill myself tomorrow then I will die, and if I decide to go on.. well my decision... could still be a fixed fate tho.... who knows.. you will never know.

Wesker
03-07-2005, 08:50 PM
I, like JR, believe that it\'s a bit of both.... We can\'t choose exactly how long we live, we are born with different genetic profiles that govern how long we should live. Therefore we can\'t choose how long with live in that aspect, but we can make choices, Choices like whether or not to kill ourselves or to try and preserve our health by making good choices in life. So you cant choose when you are going to die, it\'s impossible, So in that aspect I believe our fate is mixed between the two.
03-08-2005, 02:24 PM
No soul. What the other universes are doing has no bearing on how worthless that thought is.

You say that fate is already determined. On each of infinite universes, your specific fate is already determined by infinite number of choices. But the world you are on right now is determined by fate, which is what you do. So it really doesn\'t have any bearing on fate at all. You just do what you want to do.

You are saying that in the grand scheme of things, you have no choice as to what you\'ll do, but you make a choice anyway. Somewhere on a different plane you are making a different choice. It\'s a really worthless thought which doesn\'t address the question.
03-08-2005, 06:17 PM
not really, it answers the question, but not in a way satifactory to you, yes our fate is layed out somewhere all fates are, but we choose a choice and and somewhere another of me chooses another choice, it makes the most logical sense in my eyes
03-10-2005, 12:30 PM
That\'s circular logic. It doesn\'t change anything.
03-12-2005, 06:08 AM
we decide what we do all by ourselves!

and tomcat, how about you pet that cooky and eat the cat ey?