Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Giving blood?
02-21-2005, 02:56 AM
RE: RE: Giving blood?
SoulSurfer Wrote:slightly off topic but good all the same

i\'m type o negative, so i got the best blood
i think i am too, but why does that make it better?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2005, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2005 03:23 AM by The_Punisher.)
RE: Giving blood?
Quick run down of blood types (written by me).

You have two kind of proteins in your blood that is just genetic.

The first is the letter protein. You have A type of blood. You have B type of blood. Both are proteins in the same slot, but are different. You can\'t give an A person type B blood. The A person\'s blood will see the B protein and reject it.

Now there\'s AB blood which is a combination of both the A and the B blood at the same time. You can put either straight A or straight B blood into this person and his body won\'t reject it.

Lastly, there\'s O type. This isn\'t actually a protein, but a lack of a protein. It just isn\'t there. So if you put O type into an A or B person, their blood won\'t see a foreign protein and won\'t reject it.

The next protein type is either + or -. Meaning it\'s there, or it isn\'t. You can put - blood into + blood person, but not the other way around. A - blood person will reject + blood.

So you have Types like AB-, or O+, or B+ and so on and so on.

O- have no identifying proteins, so it can be put into all people without rejection. But the O- can only recieve O- blood.

On the other side of the spectrum, a person with blood AB+ can only give blood to other AB+ people, but can recieve blood from everyone.

So in a hospital, if you need blood, they stick O- in you until they are sure of your blood type.

I myself, am an A+.
Find all posts by this user
02-21-2005, 05:15 AM
cool =)
im O+ , can I recieve and give to anyone?
02-21-2005, 08:39 AM
You can always give. But you for example, can only recieve the blood types O+ and O-.

Err, that is to say you can only recieve those blood types without dying.
02-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the blood type info Punisher :tup: I got A-

Wesker
02-22-2005, 01:06 AM
RE: RE: Giving blood?
The_Punisher Wrote:You can always give. But you for example, can only recieve the blood types O+ and O-.

uhm, cant he receive both blood types, but if he gets the wrong one, hell get pretty ill, not dying o_O (unless he was low on his own blood in the first place)
02-22-2005, 07:47 AM
The_Punisher Wrote:Does anyone else feel better after giving blood? I\'m not talking about that, "I\'m a pint low on blood" type of high. I\'m saying that I feel to be in better general health after giving blood.

Anyone else experience this?

Actually: the reason for this is because(if i recall) when you donate the blood, boviously your body must make new blood. The new blood is cleaner and better than your \"old\" blood, which is probably why you feel better after wards, as the newer blood is making you function alittle more effeicently.
(i brought up the mouse blood thing in physics and we got into a huge discussion over it all, and my physics teacher said that you feel better after giving blood because of that, so logically, donating blood makes you healthier.)
02-22-2005, 08:24 AM
RE: RE: RE: Giving blood?
Jognt Wrote:
The_Punisher Wrote:You can always give. But you for example, can only recieve the blood types O+ and O-.

uhm, cant he receive both blood types, but if he gets the wrong one, hell get pretty ill, not dying o_O (unless he was low on his own blood in the first place)

well if you get given A B or AB your body will reject it and this can lead to death, its a point in noting you can recieve positive once if your negative and be fine i think but after that you build up immunity to the +rhesus (not sure about this, its been a long time
02-22-2005, 09:03 AM
You know how if you get a cut, your blood clots up around where the cut is?

Imagine your blod clotting in all of your veins. At the same time.
02-24-2005, 10:37 AM
That could be trouble