Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Support...
07-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Support...
And I don\'t mean support as in tell me your problems and we\'ll all hug (ya friggin pansies). But I think I\'ve figured out a decent way to rig up a support system.

Err, support as in supporting the in game weapon. You set it up by making a support key. Something really simple.

You hit it and the game makes a quick check. It checks the distance from the gun to some sort of surface. These surfaces could be a wall, a corner, a low box... Anyway, you set the distance to be a foot or something like that.

So you hit the support button, and you\'re within a foot of a surface. This does a couple of things. First, it halves weapon shake. Anyone who shoots guns will tell you that it\'s difficult to freehand a gun for any amount of time. And it doesn\'t matter how well you\'re built, the gun is going to shake. So you hit the support button, and it halves the amount the gun shakes on you.

Another thing it does is half the mouse movement speed. While this is an advantage, so it\'s hard to jerk the mouse around while supported, it\'s also a disadvantage. It\'d be hard to defend yourself if you get flanked or out maneuvered.

Another thing it would do, is it would severely limit movement while in range of the surface. I.E. you would move at about quarter speed in any direction until you either A.) Left the range to surface or B.) Turned off Support. Again, this would limit you in a SHTF situation, especially when you\'re panicking.

Unfortunately, to keep the game simple (for now), I would advise against raising or lowering the model to the surface. Just not necessary. For the time being, the best thing to do would be to make an animation of support mode. Something like the arms are tucked in really tight to the body.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Support... - The_Punisher - 07-30-2006 12:55 PM
RE: Support... - Reno - 07-30-2006, 06:13 PM
RE: Support... - Gego - 07-30-2006, 08:21 PM
RE: Support... - The_Punisher - 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
RE: Support... - Reno - 08-02-2006, 05:36 AM
RE: Support... - The_Punisher - 08-02-2006, 06:06 AM
RE: Support... - Reno - 08-02-2006, 07:39 AM