Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Building a new computer
02-06-2007, 06:13 AM
RE: Building a new computer
consider waiting a bit longer for the ATi\'s...
- ~12% Faster than 8800GTX
- ~12% smaller than 8800GTX
- ~12% more power needed than 8800GTX (oh wait, that isn\'t positive is it?)

I\'ve been checking that PSU you\'re planning on getting...
+12V 1 (? 5%) 1.0A - 20A
+12V 2 (? 5%) 1.0A - 18A

those aren\'t a lot of amps.. for the same price you should check if you can get a CoolerMaster iGreen 500w.. i got that one, 3 12v rails, just about 55-60 amps.. now that\'s power Wink

Judging by the date of your last post, you may have already purchased it though.. in this case, i\'d run 3DMark06 a couple of times, and use a multimeter to check the 12v line on both the normal Molex connectors and if you\'ve got a steady hand (very important to avoid short-circuit) check the 12v on the PCI-e line..

other than that.. looks nice, the case is standard-ish, though it is of good quality for it\'s price..

Btw, again, i\'d really wait for the new ATi\'s... i\'ve got a x1950XTX atm, but as soon as the new cards are released (and after the 2nd price drop, im guessing 2 weeks after release) im getting a new one ^-^
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Hmm, all the reviews are saying that its a loud PSU, one of the reasons im excited about getting a new computer is that my current computer is very loud and annoying. So, I\'m trying to cut down on as much noise as possible.

Do you have any other reccommendations? I haven\'t boughten it yet, but I\'m planning on doing so very soon.

I was thinking about spending a bit more and getting this case instead, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129154
02-07-2007, 02:26 AM
Im not going to get a ati myself in my next desktop because i want to be able to install linux on it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2007, 02:56 AM
nvidea > ati
sad but true
02-07-2007, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2007 05:43 AM by Jognt.)
RE: RE: Building a new computer
andius Wrote:Hmm, all the reviews are saying that its a loud PSU, one of the reasons im excited about getting a new computer is that my current computer is very loud and annoying. So, I\'m trying to cut down on as much noise as possible.

Do you have any other reccommendations? I haven\'t boughten it yet, but I\'m planning on doing so very soon.

I was thinking about spending a bit more and getting this case instead, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811129154

It does make a little bit of noise, so maybe it\'s not for the quiet home theater PC, but i can only hear it when i turn all of my PC\'s fans down to 5v.. Tongue

I\'m not that fond of Antec designs myself, but their cases are usually of decent quality..

Big-Al Wrote:nvidea > ati
sad but true

If you look at it via how easy it is to increase shader performance, then yeah, maybe.. but when you compare image quality, ATi > nVidia ever since the 9600...

All i need to know is that ATi cards kill their competitors, the coding frustrations aren\'t for me Wink

btw, Haven\'t really got an alternative for the PSU then..the CM only produces a small humm, unless you\'re gaming heavily (cpu heat rises to psu + psu is loaded) then i can hear it the rest, if i pay attention and listen to which fan it is Tongue And it has pretty good 12v rails..

edit: just checked out the images at newegg, i recognize that case, i remember myself looking at it thinking \"damn... tooo much metal.. how can that ever work?\" when i saw it at work.

I haven\'t checked out the airflow in it, but the less metal means the better for me Tongue
(keep in mind my thoughts here are biased sorta, since i noticed i went for looks instead of functionality, by sacrificing my 3*HDD bay for 1 floor mounted HDD ... (looks cool, 150gb raptor with a CCFl above it, HDD itself mounted in shock absorbing/cooling zalman bracket, which is dremeled to the floor of the case... a look from outside shows the platters spinning and the heads searching ^^)

so it could very well be a good case, im just scared of metal (less airflow / weight problem) though i should check that case tomorrow at work to see how it works..
02-07-2007, 06:48 AM
Honestly ATI\'s slowly killing itself.
While it does manage faster video cards and more raw power, the fact that they\'re tool stupid to add new firmware stuffs, and just make heavier and newer drivers for the card with the same infastructer means that if you want some of the newer features that\'ll be showing up in games, you should really move towards nVidia.
If you\'re more focused on games that are out now, or will been soon, it\'s your personal preference, but for alot of the newer stuff, ATI\'s crapping out because they dont want to do more work than they have to.
ATI\'s slowly sliding into the abyss and at this rate will really kill itself in the long run.
But, in all fairnes, this is one of the coders dealing with coding frstration(man, you should talk to del, haha he\'s a lot worse for it than me because of the stuff he\'s trying to code)

summarization: your preference, but future games are going to be using alot of new features, and there\'s a pretty solid chance that ATI wont support them.
02-07-2007, 08:01 AM
RE: RE: RE: Building a new computer
Jognt Wrote:I haven\'t checked out the airflow in it, but the less metal means the better for me Tongue
(keep in mind my thoughts here are biased sorta, since i noticed i went for looks instead of functionality, by sacrificing my 3*HDD bay for 1 floor mounted HDD ... (looks cool, 150gb raptor with a CCFl above it, HDD itself mounted in shock absorbing/cooling zalman bracket, which is dremeled to the floor of the case... a look from outside shows the platters spinning and the heads searching ^^)

so it could very well be a good case, im just scared of metal (less airflow / weight problem) though i should check that case tomorrow at work to see how it works..
Hey a photo of that would be cool to see! :tup:
02-07-2007, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2007 08:59 AM by Jognt.)
RE: RE: RE: RE: Building a new computer
Big-Al Wrote:
Jognt Wrote:I haven\'t checked out the airflow in it, but the less metal means the better for me Tongue

Hey a photo of that would be cool to see! :tup:

i\'ll see if i can get some nice pictures of it soon, hard to get good pictures with the CCFL\'s lighting up everything Tongue (and the fact i dont have a camera, not even in my phone o_O gotta save money on something i guess Tongue)

Reno Wrote:Honestly ATI\'s slowly killing itself.
While it does manage faster video cards and more raw power, the fact that they\'re tool stupid to add new firmware stuffs, and just make heavier and newer drivers for the card with the same infastructer means that if you want some of the newer features that\'ll be showing up in games, you should really move towards nVidia.
If you\'re more focused on games that are out now, or will been soon, it\'s your personal preference, but for alot of the newer stuff, ATI\'s crapping out because they dont want to do more work than they have to.
ATI\'s slowly sliding into the abyss and at this rate will really kill itself in the long run.
But, in all fairnes, this is one of the coders dealing with coding frstration(man, you should talk to del, haha he\'s a lot worse for it than me because of the stuff he\'s trying to code)

summarization: your preference, but future games are going to be using alot of new features, and there\'s a pretty solid chance that ATI wont support them.

hmm, i\'ll keep that in mind when i purchase another card.. planning to get R600 though.. do you have some links as to where i can read up on this?
02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Ok, I put in my order last night, I did some more research and found a nicer PSU that is still \"whisper\" quiet.

I ended up buying a much cheaper NZXT Trinity case after reading a couple good reviews.

I will probably have more questions when little problems pop up during the build, I\'ll keep you guys posted, and may even post a couple 3dmark scores.

I\'m pretty excited, I ran this program that finds the numbers in Pi last night, and it took like 1 minute 47 seconds to find 1 million digits, and people with comparable systems to the one i just bought are getting in the 19 second area. Heh heh should be quite an upgrade. Not too mention the sides fell off my current case and the thing sounds like a plane taking off..a very very shitty plane at that. Tongue
02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
RE: RE: Building a new computer
Jognt Wrote:consider waiting a bit longer for the ATi\'s...
- ~12% Faster than 8800GTX
- ~12% smaller than 8800GTX
- ~12% more power needed than 8800GTX (oh wait, that isn\'t positive is it?)

I\'ve been checking that PSU you\'re planning on getting...
+12V 1 (? 5%) 1.0A - 20A
+12V 2 (? 5%) 1.0A - 18A

those aren\'t a lot of amps.. for the same price you should check if you can get a CoolerMaster iGreen 500w.. i got that one, 3 12v rails, just about 55-60 amps.. now that\'s power Wink

Judging by the date of your last post, you may have already purchased it though.. in this case, i\'d run 3DMark06 a couple of times, and use a multimeter to check the 12v line on both the normal Molex connectors and if you\'ve got a steady hand (very important to avoid short-circuit) check the 12v on the PCI-e line..

other than that.. looks nice, the case is standard-ish, though it is of good quality for it\'s price..

Btw, again, i\'d really wait for the new ATi\'s... i\'ve got a x1950XTX atm, but as soon as the new cards are released (and after the 2nd price drop, im guessing 2 weeks after release) im getting a new one ^-^

I don\'t know much about computers (lately), however most house power lines are only rated to take 16 amps...