Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
02-11-2005, 09:48 AM
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
\"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.\" - John Stuart Mill

isoFlux Wrote:anyways, in a nutshell, the causes we seem to be fighting for since WWII have not been worthy of my, or anybody else\'s, death or suffering.

So you think the Vietnamese didn’t suffer under Communism? Or the Iraqis under Sadam? There were lots of Germans who were perfectly content under Hitler. The Nazi’s never invaded America and were willing to make peace with Britain in 1940. Have you ever given any thought to what made that war worth fighting under your criteria? Didn\'t fighting Nazism cause a lot of suffering and destruction?

isoFlux Wrote:if i get drafted i will do one of two things: extend my studies in Germany, or move to new zealand (the Canadian border is gonna look like the Iron Curtain). i refuse to fight and die for something as petty as oil and fake WMDs.

So I guess you wouldn’t call the police if somebody stole your computer or your car or anything else right? Colonial wars are not about oil or trade. They’re about rule of law, ownership of property- physical and intellectual- and fair return on investment and every other economic principle that has created the wealth we enjoy today. Not that Vietnam or Iraq were colonial wars (not entirely), they were about defeating ideologies that enslaved and/or killed millions and threatened the U.S.

And before any Marxist hypocrites post that all property is theft, make sure you’ve given away your computer, internet connection, etc, and are living(starving actually) in a mud hut in a third-world country somewhere.

If you honestly don’t believe terrorism is an imminent threat, fine, I hope your right. But few people believed Germany was a threat in 1937.

Freedom is something you may not be able to fully understand when you have it, but if you ever loose it you’ll know. And if you’re not willing to fight and perhaps die for freedom, you could find yourself one day with no choice but to fight for a tyrant. (Germany or Russia ring a bell?)

“You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you.” - Leon Trotsky
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country? - Sgt. Boomer - 02-11-2005 09:48 AM