Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
ive been thinnking about this for a long time, and have remained unchanged in my decision: i dont know.

i used to get hung up on the concept of \'a country\' and what makes a country different from any other hunk of land. i ended up deciding, in the usa\'s case, that the constitution and bill of rights made the country. so, basically, a stack of paper written by a bunch of smart, rich, white guys made the usa different than any other country. kinda like belonging to a club, or a gang, or a brother(sister)hood with a huge budget and massive ego.

on a tangent, i though it was kinda ironic how countless revolutions were sparked and fought over things like famine or genocide, but ours (usa) was fought over ornery taxes. Smile sorry for the loaded language.

but there\'s also different ways of dying for the paper stack - as a policeman, an FBI agent, a CIA agent, a soldier, a protester, a kkk member, etc. kinda like dying as a member of a club thats a member of a club and so on. people fought and died for civil rights, and that was for the betterment of their country.

i still dont know. i really like living, but i have yet to find a purpose worth striving toward. excellence is a good goal, but in what? it was in that mind frame when i thought \'if theres no purpose for which to die, for what purpose is there to live?\' or something like that, i got it written down somewhere.

i guess, mortality\'s damn too finite, and that\'s probably why peeps tend to crave belonging to something larger than themselves - eg a country. and if you realize that u can keep something, that\'s been around a helluva lot longer than u have, around even a little longer at the price of your life, which is a brief moment of flatulence in comparison, mebbe its worth it. the whole laying bricks or building a cathedral thing.i still dont know. hope this makes sense.Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country? - dr.moe - 02-08-2005 11:26 AM