Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
02-01-2005, 12:08 AM
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
\"No government can ever give you freedom\". Freedom is something that comes from within, not from a higher power outside of a person. You can fight for your freedom all you want, but when you die, you won\'t have it anyway.

But I don\'t think freedom can\'t be taken away though. I wouldn\'t want to be in prison, for example, where they tell you when to sleep, eat, walk,... Taking away freedoms is the base principle of any modern-day capital crime punishment system.

I so feel like debating the very essence of freedom now Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2005, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2005 05:39 AM by Jonathan.)
This thread is sickening. Period! :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2005, 05:45 AM
Absolutely not! This threat is great! some real debating going on man.
02-01-2005, 07:39 AM
fighting in an army isn\'t freedom either, more like following suicidal orders
02-01-2005, 09:30 AM
RE: RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
Big-Al Wrote:fighting in an army isn\'t freedom either, more like following suicidal orders

depends on which army you go into.
02-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Quote:depends on which army you go into.
:agree:
02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Okay - you asked for it Big Grin

free?dom ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frdm)
n.
The condition of being free of restraints.
Liberty of the person from slavery, detention, or oppression.

Political independence.
Exemption from the arbitrary exercise of authority in the performance of a specific action; civil liberty: freedom of assembly.
Exemption from an unpleasant or onerous condition: freedom from want.
The capacity to exercise choice; free will: We have the freedom to do as we please all afternoon.
Ease or facility of movement: loose sports clothing, giving the wearer freedom.
Frankness or boldness; lack of modesty or reserve: the new freedom in movies and novels.

The right to unrestricted use; full access: was given the freedom of their research facilities.
The right of enjoying all of the privileges of membership or citizenship: the freedom of the city.
A right or the power to engage in certain actions without control or interference: “the seductive freedoms and excesses of the picaresque form” (John W. Aldridge).

source dictionary.com

Of course this is completely off topic unless people connect their right to freedom to the nation they live in.

That in itself is a restraint.
02-08-2005, 06:50 AM
Hell no! The only thing in the world I\'d fight for is my health or that of those in whose well-being I\'m interested. It\'s called self-defense, and if the world would go by this principle, we wouldn\'t have any wars at all.

Fighting and dying is the most stupid thing to do, from an evolutionary point of view.
02-08-2005, 10:16 AM
all these people saying no, are you saying that in a WWIII scale of war where you were fighting for the freedom of yourself and your country and if you failed you faced opression and mistreatment, you would sit back and do nothing?
02-08-2005, 11:26 AM
ive been thinnking about this for a long time, and have remained unchanged in my decision: i dont know.

i used to get hung up on the concept of \'a country\' and what makes a country different from any other hunk of land. i ended up deciding, in the usa\'s case, that the constitution and bill of rights made the country. so, basically, a stack of paper written by a bunch of smart, rich, white guys made the usa different than any other country. kinda like belonging to a club, or a gang, or a brother(sister)hood with a huge budget and massive ego.

on a tangent, i though it was kinda ironic how countless revolutions were sparked and fought over things like famine or genocide, but ours (usa) was fought over ornery taxes. Smile sorry for the loaded language.

but there\'s also different ways of dying for the paper stack - as a policeman, an FBI agent, a CIA agent, a soldier, a protester, a kkk member, etc. kinda like dying as a member of a club thats a member of a club and so on. people fought and died for civil rights, and that was for the betterment of their country.

i still dont know. i really like living, but i have yet to find a purpose worth striving toward. excellence is a good goal, but in what? it was in that mind frame when i thought \'if theres no purpose for which to die, for what purpose is there to live?\' or something like that, i got it written down somewhere.

i guess, mortality\'s damn too finite, and that\'s probably why peeps tend to crave belonging to something larger than themselves - eg a country. and if you realize that u can keep something, that\'s been around a helluva lot longer than u have, around even a little longer at the price of your life, which is a brief moment of flatulence in comparison, mebbe its worth it. the whole laying bricks or building a cathedral thing.i still dont know. hope this makes sense.Smile