Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
01-25-2005, 12:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2005 12:16 AM by IntRed.)
RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
The US, to me is just different in culture, in almost every meaning of the word, basically as a whole, its not because its a modern country that it should be compared to european modern country\'s.

We do however judge actions worldwide, usually we tend to evaluate them from our own perspective, its normal , people do that but its not always the right way to look at things.

Personally i do feel that the US is under bad leadership but this doesn\'t mean that one should observe the US under that specific spotlight, lets not forget that almost half of the US wanted a different leader.

But I really liked it in the US, most people here in Europe have a misconception of the US, because of movies, because of \'hear say\' stories, you just got to have an open mind and experience it for yourself i say.
I did just that and i had the time of my life in the US, and i\'m hoping to go back there soon enough Smile
Heck i even went to the most \'feared\' state of \'em all (also on the list: vegas, colorado), Texas and i really had a good time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2005, 03:09 AM
The Us actually does give little im comparison to other countries for the tsunami. The netherlands with its 16 million people gave over 150 million euros which is quite much.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2005, 04:21 AM
wasn\'t there once a report by the un... that gave the nice result that holland and denmark paid most of the peace missions and stuff? AFAIK the US still doesn\'t pay their fees totally because of some issues about the UNs stance on birth control
01-26-2005, 04:43 AM
RE: RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
IntRed Wrote:The US, to me is just different in culture, in almost every meaning of the word, basically as a whole, its not because its a modern country that it should be compared to european modern country\'s.

We do however judge actions worldwide, usually we tend to evaluate them from our own perspective, its normal , people do that but its not always the right way to look at things.

Personally i do feel that the US is under bad leadership but this doesn\'t mean that one should observe the US under that specific spotlight, lets not forget that almost half of the US wanted a different leader.

But I really liked it in the US, most people here in Europe have a misconception of the US, because of movies, because of \'hear say\' stories, you just got to have an open mind and experience it for yourself i say.
I did just that and i had the time of my life in the US, and i\'m hoping to go back there soon enough Smile
Heck i even went to the most \'feared\' state of \'em all (also on the list: vegas, colorado), Texas and i really had a good time.
Yeah, certain documentaries (actually, more like mockumentaries) like Farenheit 9/11 and others give people the wrong idea about America.

Thank Michael Moore for that. :roll:
01-31-2005, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-31-2005 11:12 PM by GaGrin.)
My views match closely with isoFlux on this issue.

\"...there are plenty of things i will fight for, but few things i will be able to willingly, conciously die for.\" - isoFlux

I would not willingly fight, kill or die for my country (The United Kingdom of Great Britain) as we have lost any crediblity I thought we had left when we supported the Bush presidency and the ensuing chaos.

I doubt I had any sense of loyalty to my country before then, but anything that could have remained was destroyed in that peroid anyway.

I would go so far as to say that supporting your nation instead of your political ideas is actually extremely harmful. Obey the laws, pay your taxes, and vote for what you actually WANT.

As of right now, I can think of nothing I would die for. Sad perhaps, but true.

*Edited for spelling.
01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
So when it all boils down to it, most people here would rather live without freedom, then die for it?
01-31-2005, 02:59 PM
RE: RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
The_Punisher Wrote:So when it all boils down to it, most people here would rather live without freedom, then die for it?
Yep. It\'s sad that people wouldn\'t fight for freedom, it really is. :\\
01-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I won\'t die for any country. Not even if I somehow got my own country and it was invaded, I still will not die for it. However, Being one who does like to fight, I will fight for someone if the price is right. Yes, that would make me a mercenary, which isn\'t a glamorous title, but that\'s how it is. I would only die for individual people, such as family and friends, but never a greater cause. Causes come and go.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-31-2005, 10:03 PM
RE: RE: RE: Are you willing to fight and/or die for your country?
Pythong Wrote:
The_Punisher Wrote:So when it all boils down to it, most people here would rather live without freedom, then die for it?
Yep. It\'s sad that people wouldn\'t fight for freedom, it really is. :
Sigh.

The question was whether or not we\'d fight and die for our country. That\'s really something totally different than freedom. You guys must\'ve gotten them mixed-up now in that climate of fear you live in.
01-31-2005, 11:07 PM
I have to agree with Everest here.

However, I disagree that \"freedom\" is something anybody truely has under any form of government and that it can truely ever be completely taken from you.

Just my opinion of course. Take that as you will.