Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Adrenaline?
01-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Adrenaline?
Ok, so I was going through my head while in the car, late for school:

Soldiers on the battlefield, while in action, are being shot at, shooting and (usually) facing harsh conditions (even before battle). So, that would mean not every soldier is a calm and controlled killing machine. Some will get a \"near hightened awareness\" by this adrenaline and some rarely break down in the fight (BAD IDEA).

So, what about making some sort of system -- BUT COMPLETELY different from UT2k3/4s version. Here\'s how it goes.

As you stay longer in battle, your adrenaline will go up slowly, and seeing fellow teammates or enemies be killed (have to be a close, yet realistic radius) will also contribute a bigger chunk of adrenaline into this meter.

When the meter his 100%, it automatically goes off (seeing, unless you are some alien, I doubt you can control it). Maybe vision blurry somewhat, maybe tunnel vision or something (wouldn\'t that be cool to implement?) but you can take a few extra hits, or your accuracy increases.

SOME Features may include:
#No actual meter, it just goes off when it does.
#Surviving will help it slowly grow
#Making a kill or seeing someone on your team die gives a bigger, one time increase; nearby explosions do the same
#injuries (nonfatal but still OUCH kind) contribute to increasing adrenaline
#Goes off automatically at 100%
#Blurred vision/Tunnel Vision/etc, but increased accuracy, being able to take more hits, do certain actions quickly.

Please don\'t go :wtf: because this sounds like a DM-ish idea. I think it\'s a perfectly logical way to also simulate (TTR == Simulation, BTW) soldiers on the WW2 battlefields. Oh, it may sound unbalanced abit. I\'d like some comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2005, 04:23 PM
RE: Adrenaline?
huh, interesting approach to an idea thats somewhat like something i\'ve thought up before(make no mistake, this is rather different)

presonally, while this could potentially take quite a bit to polish and refine could make for some really interesting situations.

like having your team member \"lose it\" (not in teh bad way, but get overcome by the adrenaline) and charge an MG poistion, screaming while running, taking hits etc, would be CRAZY.
Big Grin

its def something to ponder about.
good suggest Big Grin
01-21-2005, 07:33 PM
yes except during an adrenaline rush, your aim should be worse because your hands get shakey and your breathing/heart rate increases. It would be most realistic for it to just increase your speed, maybe strenght for throwing nades ect...seems like it would be a hard thing to acomplish for the effects that a read adrenaline riush would give yuo
01-21-2005, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2005 08:49 PM by shift.)
Exclamation RE: Adrenaline?
Interesting idea, Sober.

Anyway, I\'m a bit more with andius adjustments. If melee combat will be included (that seems it will be) adrenaline should affect mainly that, increasing *slightly* your strength. I\'m not sure about increasing your aiming here.

But assuming that fatigue is also a feature in the new TTR I say make adrenaline tied to fatigue. I mean, once you reach a 100% adrenaline no fatigue restrictions are applied, no matter if you were completely exhausted, while you are in 100% adrenaline (say, during 5/10secs) you can run, jump, melee, etc without any fatigue restrictions. And that would be the ONLY adrenaline effect (quite enough IMO).

A counterpart for the positive features of adreanline would be a 100% fatigue after the adreanline rush. You overused your body while in adrenaline, so you\'ll likely be quite tired after that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me =) One thing that would also be cool is if there could be some kind of granadeshock. If your are close to an explosion there should be some kind of granadshock effect, almost like the one in CoD =)
01-22-2005, 12:15 AM
No, adrenaline is one of those things you can\'t code in for the player. What you have to do is try to actually get their real adrenaline pumping.

Like sometimes, if I\'m in INF, and half my squad gets mowed down, I get really excited and jumpy. Especially if I take all those mofos out.
01-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Well, I like the idea of rewarding players that last long being in action, and that\'s what this idea is mainly about.

You only increase your adrenaline if you make a frag, are next to a explosion, see your mates die, etc. The good thing about this idea is that it rewards players quite fairly. It\'d give them a slight bonus and some counterparts.

Also, the original TTR has a fatigue system already built-in, so I see quite logical having adrenaline too. And if both are related in some way, the better.
01-22-2005, 01:11 AM
i would think that adrenaline would decrease accuracy but it would make you feel pain less.
01-22-2005, 02:17 AM
I got the impression and support this, that adrenalin is a bad thing, a penalty for things that let you shiver in fear.

f.e. being under mg fire suppresion fire, surviving a nade that went close off near you, seeing an unusal number of comrads die around you in a short time f.e in mg fire.

When it goes off, it lasts a short periode till you get f.e. cover or die:
pros: stamina wouldnt count for that time, you would keep on \"fighting\" even if hit by bullets except a head shot or extremly big amount of bullets.
cons: you would get some kind of tunnel vision, very shaky spray aim, sprinting the whole time, extremly tired afterwards.

It would be something, that kicks in on a few extrem situations, you would hear your breathing become faster and heart beat and if you dont do anything against it, it kicks off.

possible scenarios:

-you approach a mg position, get under supressive fire:

1) when adrenalin kicks off you can turn in time and run away like mad into safety

2) you dont get the drift and attack wild spraying the mg position, high chance of dying naturally Smile

-or another one you move with 2 comrads to a position, then fire from an mg or maybe 2 smgs opens on to you from the sidea nd your comrads die:

1)you run like mad to reach cover

2)you turn and try to engage the position wild sprying

you would always start to sprint, the user can decide where he wants to try to stear, and if he opens fire / uses melee, I think it would work out if balanced right since it just kicks in, if you do something stupid which is done in other games very often f.e attacking a setup mg position with a rifle or if somethign unusal extrem happens
01-22-2005, 03:07 AM
RE: RE: Adrenaline?
The_Punisher Wrote:No, adrenaline is one of those things you can\'t code in for the player. What you have to do is try to actually get their real adrenaline pumping.

Like sometimes, if I\'m in INF, and half my squad gets mowed down, I get really excited and jumpy. Especially if I take all those mofos out.

I agree with you Punisher, i think the game itself should give the player the adrenaline shot. I had that alot with TTR, especially during defense, enemy is close & a couple of minutes r left on the timer & heavy casualties on my team.

Wesker