Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Discussion on aim stances,
01-21-2005, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2005 07:26 PM by isoFlux.)
RE: Discussion on aim stances,
ok, ive been \"developing\" (i.e. thinking about) this exact topic for the past week and a half. ive come up with something similar to what has been suggested here. ive just taken some sample screenshots in INF 2.9 to illustrate my (and others\') ideas. i used INF because its aiming animations are perfect for demostrating this, as RO\'s and TTR\'s aiming animations tilt the weapon up or down then move into aiming position, so getting a \"straight-shot\" screenshot halfway through aiming is impossible.

ive just given this thread a very cursory scanning, so if my suggestions have been layed out above, oops Tongue

ok, i am assuming five movement speeds: walking, jogging, running, and walking while crouched or prone. click on any of the pics to get a larger view.

ok, first we have a running position. no firing your weapon, and it dodges across the screen. this can also represent the prone-movement, but would have a more America\'s Army animation, with the rifle btween the arms, pulling the avatar across the ground.
[Image: inf_run_thumb.jpg]

now we have the regular \"hipped\" aiming position. this will be the normal aiming position for the jogging movement speed. firing is allowed.
[Image: inf_hip_thumb.jpg]

ok, here is the new, \"shouldered-aim\" position. there are two ways it can be introduced; i will mention one now and one later. the first is to have it automatically happen when a player is still (prone, crouch, or standing) or walking. when you start to jog, it goes back to the \"hipped\" position, and when you stop, after a second or two, it returns to the \"shouldered-aim\" position.
[Image: inf_mid_thumb.jpg]

here is the tried-and-true \"aimed\" position. this can be attained by pressing the bound \"aim\"-key only when in the \"shoulered-aim\" position. movement is \"locked\" into walking if the avatar is standing up, and if he changes posture, drops to \"hipped\", then back to \"aimed\" (or, if not aimed to begin with, to shouldered-aim.) i suggest NOT incuring a movement penalty while aimed, because walking with ironsights up is do-able, its just not very accurate Tongue
[Image: inf_aim_thumb.jpg]

now, for the second implementation of \"shouldered-aim\". how about making the \"aimed\" mode hold-aim, instead of toggle-aim, and making shouldered aim hold-aim. ok, tap your \"aim\"-key, you get \"shouldered aim\", hold it down, and you get ironsights (aimed position).

i am partial to the first, because it is less complicated and doesnt require the player to jam down on his right mouse button so much, but both would work.

[EDIT]
i just read above about the mousewheel idea. wow, great thinking. that would definatly work, except for not everybody has a mouse wheel. and those who dont will be forced to bind more keys to their keyboard and make a quite gaudy key-layout. i still think the auto-shoulder thing is best because its the simplest and best for all PC-configs.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Discussion on aim stances, - Destiny@Work - 01-21-2005, 11:11 AM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - Sober - 01-21-2005, 11:38 AM
RE: RE: Discussion on aim stances, - [JR] - 01-22-2005, 04:08 PM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - Reno - 01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
RE: RE: Discussion on aim stances, - Sober - 01-21-2005, 05:15 PM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - isoFlux - 01-21-2005 07:20 PM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - ElvenKind - 01-21-2005, 07:25 PM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - isoFlux - 01-21-2005, 07:30 PM
RE: Discussion on aim stances, - tomcat ha - 01-22-2005, 02:01 AM