Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
101 rules of black metal
12-19-2005, 06:34 PM
RE: RE: RE: 101 rules of black metal
Big-Al Wrote:
Delirium_ Wrote:As a person who listens black metal I beg the differ.
Whats wrong with Dani Filth??? Confused
cradel of filth dude? right?
Beat you to it! I\'m way more black metal than you! 8) And I\'m not even Dani Filth Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2005, 06:56 PM
RE: 101 rules of black metal
i didn\'t need to use google Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-19-2005, 08:10 PM
A then my hunch was right, ah yea, cause he\'s on MTV now he\'s the bad guy.

Deicide, Immortal, Burzum and Mayhem is way more black metal then Cradle of Filth though.

Agh all these stereotypical lists can match anything. If I didn\'t have better things to do I could make a list like that about Christians, popsters, rappers, politicians and the likes.

DONT HATE US CAUSE WE PREFER SATAN *cry*
Id say
but I\'m not a Satanist so... Big-Al knows, we had a \"talk\" didn\'t we Bigal *wink*wink*
12-19-2005, 08:23 PM
deicide is death metal. not black.

black metal badgers Tongue

lol, yeah, we had a talk lol.
12-19-2005, 10:28 PM
But cradle of filth does suck. When i saw him on tv on viva la bam he painted a pentragram for no reason. He so is a wannabe black metalist.
12-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Anyway i don\'t like pure black metal. I prefer symphonic, melodic or industrial black. About Cradle of Filth I can say that they make very good music but Dani\'s vocals ruin it. I like around 15 seconds of each song of CoF. I hope someday they will kick that gay-vampire\'s ass out of that band and find some real singer.
12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
damn BM badgers.

death metal is way better Tongue
12-19-2005, 11:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2005 11:45 PM by Delirium_.)
RE: RE: 101 rules of black metal
Big-Al Wrote:deicide is death metal. not black.

Back in my days labeling was simple and I stick to it

Deicide is black metal not death cause black metal deals with satanism and with such lovely lyrics as \"open the door jehovah you whore\", \"kill the christian\", \"when satan rules his world\" and \" i wipe my ass on the book\" etc etc it IS black metal NOT death.

But hey, these days we have emo pop metal and soon we\'ll have hip hop shlager metal next to classical universal pop rock synth house.
\"ich haB das folkorenbrod gefressen *tadadadadadadada*\"

Death metal is about death and graves and shit (forgot the name)
Black metal has satanic lyrics (deicide etc)
Heavy metal has long hair and whining singers (metallica)
Hardcore metal is well brutish, violent and fast (All Out War)
Speed metal is just speedy (cannibal corpse - I think)
Industrial metal has synthesisers and industrial sounds in it (fear factory)

Oh and emo metal has good riffs with lyrics about long lost loves sung by a pubescent pimplefaced pigeon who thinks he\'s luciano motherfucking pavarotti.
12-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Heart RE: RE: RE: 101 rules of black metal
Delirium_ Wrote:
Big-Al Wrote:deicide is death metal. not black.

Back in my days labeling was simple and I stick to it

Deicide is black metal not death cause black metal deals with satanism and with such lovely lyrics as "open the door jehovah you whore", "kill the christian", "when satan rules his world" and " i wipe my ass on the book" etc etc it IS black metal NOT death.

But hey, these days we have emo pop metal and soon we\'ll have hip hop shlager metal next to classical universal pop rock synth house.
"ich haB das folkorenbrod gefressen *tadadadadadadada*"

Death metal is about death and graves and shit (forgot the name)
Black metal has satanic lyrics (deicide etc)
Heavy metal has long hair and whining singers (metallica)
Hardcore metal is well brutish, violent and fast (All Out War)
Speed metal is just speedy (cannibal corpse - I think)
Industrial metal has synthesisers and industrial sounds in it (fear factory)

Oh and emo metal has good riffs with lyrics about long lost loves sung by a pubescent pimplefaced pigeon who thinks he\'s luciano motherfucking pavarotti.
disagree with the gendres and the bands there...
for a good source --> http://www.bnrmetal.com/

and as such:

The Genres Of Heavy Metal

This page briefly describes many of the genres and classifications of metal, as well as provide specific band listings for these genres. This is really only a guideline, and one man\'s guideline at that -- a lot of this is subject to opinion and is the source of endless debate among fans.

Black Metal

Black metal finds its roots in bands such as Venom and Bathory, and is often characterized by an inherently evil tone and a raspy vocal style (Quorthon of Bathory may or may not be the originator of this vocal style, but once you\'ve heard him, many black metal vocalists will sound very similar to him, for what that\'s worth). The earlier bands focused on minimal instrumentation, as represented by Darkthrone, early Mayhem, and older Immortal, while another group of bands explored a more symphonic, keyboard-driven style (Emperor, Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir) and still others have migrated towards an eclectic, avant-garde direction (Arcturus, new Mayhem). Norway continues to be the primary exporter of black metal bands, though other countries have contributed some quality bands as well.

Christian Metal

Whereas the other genres presented here are defined by the music itself, Christian metal bands are listed as a genre based on their lyrical stance. Thus, there are Christian thrash bands (Tourniquet, Living Sacrifice), Christian doom bands (Paramaecium), Christian progressive bands (Veni Domine), and so on. Some Christian bands are preachy to the point of being obnoxious, while others are far more subtle in their approach. Stryper, was the first band to gain acceptance in the secular world (though just how \"metal\" they were is subject to debate), and then bands such as Barren Cross, Bloodgood and others came along, proving that real metal and spiritual lyrics could indeed coexist.

Death Metal

One of the more extreme forms of metal, death metal is basically an offshoot of thrash, with less melodic riffs and a low, growly, often almost unintelligible vocal style that at its best (or worst, depending on one\'s point of view) has been described as \"cookie monster vocals\". The early nineties saw the initial rise of death metal in places such as Florida ( Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Obituary, and others) and Sweden ( At The Gates, Entombed, and others), and remains a dominant form of extreme metal to this day.

Doom

Doom metal can be described with a single word -- slow. Ponderous, ultra-heavy riffing and (usually) melodic vocals dominate this form of metal. Black Sabbath are, of course, the fathers of metal in general, but their early work concentrated on slow riffing and thus is the primary influence on doom metal bands. Candlemass deserves mention for rejuvenating the genre in the eighties, and their first four albums are regarded as classics in the field.

Doomdeath

A subgenre of doom metal, doomdeath combines the slow pace of doom with the low, growly vocal style of death metal. Three British bands, Paradise Lost, My Dying Bride, and Anathema, are generally regarded as innovators here, though of the three, only My Dying Bride still plays the doomdeath style.

Folk Metal

As the name implies, these bands introduce folk influences into their sound, often with the use of violins and sometimes flutes. Skyclad may not have been the first such group, and they aren\'t the folkiest, but they arguably were one of the first groups to popularize the concept.

Goth Metal

Goth metal bands derive from earlier goth rock bands such as Sisters Of Mercy, with Type O Negative one of the most well-known such bands. For some reason the Finns have taken to this style, with most of the bands in the goth category hailing from that country.

Gothic Metal

Gothic metal bands tend to write songs with a slightly more orchestral feel to them. Often the vocal style of such bands is a dead giveaway, with either choirs or the so-called \"beauty and the beast\" style (a male, death-like vocalist paired with a more angelic female voice) often employed. The vast majority of bands who feature a female lead vocalist (excepting the rare female extreme metal vocalists such as Angela Gossow of Arch Enemy and Karyn Crisis of Crisis) are usually considered gothic metal bands. Theatre Of Tragedy, in their early years, was a prime example of this style (though they have transformed into quite a different style now), with bands such as Tristania and The Gathering also releasing prototypical gothic metal albums at least at some point in their careers.

Grindcore

Grindcore bands usually focus on very short songs, each a burst of frenzied noise, yet often with surprising depth and skill in the musicianship department. It is often labelled as an offshoot or a subgenre of death metal, though its origins would imply otherwise. Napalm Death may or may not have invented the genre, but their early works are considered classics.

Grunge

The grunge boom hit in the early nineties, originating in the Pacific Northwest, bands such as Mudhoney, Green River, and others fusing raw punk with early Sabbath heaviness. Many of the bands commonly associated with grunge are arguably not really metal at all, though a few, such as Tad, clearly were heavy enough to warrant inclusion. Nirvana, of course, is the band that most associate with breaking the genre into the mainstream with their Nevermind release in 1991, though their earlier Bleach album is a far more metallic beast, and closer to the early spirit of grunge.

Hard Rock

In reality, the difference between \"hard rock\" and \"heavy metal\" is a fine line, and widely open to debate and interpretation. To these ears, hard rock really seems to be the more radio-friendly version, while heavy metal opts for a more sinister, darker sound. Practically every band in the so-called glam or hair genre probably slots in hard rock, and many debate about whether such bands are really metallic or not (the lack of glam bands on this site gives a clue as to this author\'s opinion). Nonetheless, there were and are many bands not in the glam arena that are best described as hard rock, and many of them have sufficient crossover appeal to belong on a metal site.

Industrial Metal

Industrial music, in its earlier form, comprised of making music with non-musical instruments. Industrial metal takes this idea and furthers it, usually by complementing metal guitars with samples, external sound effects, and (often) processed vocals. Ministry is an acknowledged pioneer in the field, and one of its disciples, Skrew, also deserves mention as a prime influence and soundalike for many bands in this genre. On the somewhat more mainstream side of this genre are bands such as Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson.

Instrumental

As the name implies, groups in this category feature no vocals. The majority of these bands are somewhat eclectic and progressive in their approach, though there are exceptions. An all-time BNR favorite, Kong, is in this category.

Metalcore

As of this writing, metalcore is the latest rage in underground metal in America. These bands combine straight hardcore singing with music often more aligned with thrash or melodic death (indeed, a lot of bands these days seem to be blurring the distinction between melodic death and metalcore).

Melodic Death Metal

A second form of death metal is the so-called Gothenburg style, named for the Swedish city where innovators such as Dark Tranquillity and In Flames reside. Here, the vocal style is similar but the musical style is much more melodic, occasionally bringing to mind an Iron Maiden.

Nu-Metal

Even as the popularity of nu-metal wanes, the debate will continue among metal fans on whether nu-metal really is a metal genre. First popularized in the mid-nineties by groups such as Korn and Deftones, nu-metal bands frequently feature down-tuned guitars, vocals that frequently borrow from hip-hop or hardcore, and song structures that appear to have originated from the alternative hard rock scene rather than traditional metal.

N.W.O.B.H.M.

The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal (NWOBHM) signalled a rebirth in metal popularity in England, roughly around the years of 1980 to 1984 or so. Of the hundreds of British bands who sprouted at this time (many who never got past a demo or a 7\" record), Iron Maiden and Def Leppard are probably the two most well-known, with others such as Saxon, Angelwitch and Diamond Head also making a major impact on the scene. Though the time frame and nationality are the main defining components of NWOBHM, the majority of these bands also had a similar style, mixing prime 70\'s Brit metal (Judas Priest, Deep Purple, UFO) with the roughness of punk rock. Though it\'s difficult at best to point to a single album as a representation of the entire genre, a good place to start might be Iron Maiden\'s debut album.

Power Metal

Once upon a time the term \"power metal\" was interchangeable with plain old heavy metal, with perhaps an emphasis on heavier riffing. In recent times, though, the term is most often used to describe the decidedly European style of metal, a style dominated by double-bass drumming, anthemic choruses, and speedy riffing. One originator of this style would have to be Helloween, whose early works such as Walls Of Jericho and Keeper Of The Seven Keys proved to be blueprints for the style. Another band worth mentioning is Hammerfall, as they are often regarded as the band most responsible for the revival of the genre in 1997 when they debuted with Glory To The Brave.

Progressive Metal

Initially, progressive metal bands fell into two camps, the first being bands who incorporated quirky time signatures and atypical riffing into metal, and the (related) second being metal bands strongly influenced by 70\'s progressive rock bands such as Yes, Genesis, and ELP. Watchtower and Thought Industry are two excellent examples of the first group, while Dream Theater remains the most well-known of the latter group, as well as the single band most fans point to first when referring to progressive metal. In later years, melodic progressive metal bands have blossomed, many of them not quite as technically oriented as the genre originally defined. Indeed, a lot of these bands can be best described as some mixture of Dream Theater, Queensryche, and Fates Warning, which indeed places these three bands as major innovators in the field. On the extreme end of progressive metal is technical metal, where the musicianship and songwriting variance is placed at an even higher premium. This is demonstrated by bands such as Cynic, and Spiral Architect.

Stoner Rock

Also occasionally referred to as desert rock/metal, it doesn\'t take a genius to figure out what the name \"stoner rock\" refers to, though whether or not it\'s an appropriate term or not is another matter. Bands in the genre focus on 70\'s rock/metal influences and a psychedelic edge. The single band most often noted as an influence or soundalike to others in this field is unquestionably Kyuss, who in their relatively short career basically invented the genre (though bands such as Monster Magnet and Fu Manchu deserve a mention here too).

Thrash

Thrash metal is generally characterized by a fast pace, a staccato, chunky guitar riffing style, and aggressive vocals. Metallica\'s Kill \'Em All, released in 1983, is arguably the first true thrash album, with healthy thrash scenes sprouting in the USA (particularly the San Francisco area), Germany, and elsewhere by the late eighties. By the early nineties the genre was a bit oversaturated, and in later years fewer bands played the style, but it\'s still a viable style today, with veteran bands such as Overkill, Testament, and Destruction, among others, still producing quality thrash albums. Amusingly, thrash is often misspelled as \"trash\" by European writers.

Viking Metal

Musically, several bands in the Viking genre sound like black metal bands on the surface, but the lyrical subject is different, and moreover there is usually more of a rousing, anthemic chorus element not found in black metal. Traditional Norse melodies often find their way into Viking metal songs, which can at times relate this genre to folk metal.
12-20-2005, 05:00 AM
Bullshit all bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit *cry*