Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The thanks people get for help....
10-19-2005, 11:12 PM
RE: The thanks people get for help....
On a serious side, holland is making quite some preperations for the global warming effects. Like making space for floods and strengthening the dykes.

When I saw how New Orleans (what will it be called next btw, New New Orleans? Tongue) had it\'s dikes placed I nearly fell of my seat in amazement, really they couldn\'t and shouldn\'t expect those dykes to hold back even a small hurricane.

Example, *sea*dyke(1 layer with nothing but a wall on it)*city* That\'s it! really man, they had no protection what-so-ever! Same thing for the river, it had houses right next to it with nothing but a single flimsy dyke in between, the water could go 1 way, and 1 way only.

Quite sad when you think of it. :/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2005, 11:27 PM
RE: RE: The thanks people get for help....
dr.moe Wrote:its resolved?
OH YEAH!!!
10-20-2005, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2005 01:32 AM by =D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD.)
joeb Wrote:On a serious side, holland is making quite some preperations for the global warming effects. Like making space for floods and strengthening the dykes.

So the plan is that all the dykes will plug the holes in the dikes with their new, strong fingers?Big Grin
10-20-2005, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2005 01:40 AM by Big-Al.)
RE: RE: RE: The thanks people get for help....
=D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD Wrote:
joeb Wrote:On a serious side, holland is making quite some preperations for the global warming effects. Like making space for floods and strengthening the dykes.

So the plan is that all the dykes will plug the holes in the dikes with their new, strong fingers?Big Grin
another dyke fan :rofl:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2005, 01:47 AM
Quote:dike1 also dyke Audio pronunciation of \"dyke\" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dk)
n.

1. An embankment of earth and rock built to prevent floods.
2. Chiefly British. A low wall, often of sod, dividing or enclosing lands.
2. A barrier blocking a passage, especially for protection.
3. A raised causeway.
4. A ditch; a channel.
5. Geology. A long mass of igneous rock that cuts across the structure of adjacent rock.

ahh well Tongue
10-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Don\'t ruin my witty remarks with your facts and logic!
10-20-2005, 01:52 AM
dyke2 Audio pronunciation of \"dike\" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dk) also dike
n. Offensive Slang

Used as a disparaging term for a lesbian.

^that\'s why we are laughing^
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2005, 01:59 AM
Well, way back when, New Orleans wasn\'t under Sea Level.

However, they only recently figured out that it was all the silt drifting down the Mississippi that helped keep the shores built up.

It didn\'t help that they massively reduced the amount of silt flowing down the river.

Another problem was the wetlands. The wetlands were also recieving some of the silt. They built a natural barrier between NO and the rivers and gulf. But the rate of Growth to Decay of them declined to the point where they were losing more then they could gain. So the natural protection barrier wore away.

And the last thing is the Foolishness of Man to think that we can control Nature. Nature is the most destructive force in the world. Atomic Energy is a distant second.
10-20-2005, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 10-20-2005 02:19 AM by joeb.)
aye pun, thinking that we cannot control nature is one thing, not defending yourself against it properly is another..

But I get your point.
10-20-2005, 06:04 AM
The_Punisher Wrote:...
And the last thing is the Foolishness of Man to think that we can control Nature. Nature is the most destructive force in the world. Atomic Energy is a distant second.

i dont know, its hard to call what Nature does to the World destructive. i would call it ironic, or pretty, or awesome, or inspiring - or ironically, pretty inspirationally awesome! But destructive... not so much.

it could just be a glass half full kinda thing, but i dont think nature is too destructive in the world. man (in the genderless, symbolic, neutral, please-dont-chop-my-balls-off-because-i-said-this-or-otherwise-hold-it-against-me-sort-of-way) is probly the most destructive thing out there, and if s/he doesnt pay enough attention, will naturally destroy itself. Big Grin:404: