Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reno\'s Project Revealed.
10-13-2005, 03:31 AM
RE: Reno\'s Project Revealed.
Well, EK caught me a wee bit off gaurd here(posted this while i was sleeping haha)

Firstly, concerning why this whole thing is so revolutionary: as Joe and a few others had posted, because of the interactiveness, it\'s possible to see people coming, destroy it, etc, etc.
If you where a sniper hiding in the tall grass, you\'d be far harder to spot than if you where sitting in a clear area. And because it interacts, if you had a guy sneaking around crouched/prone in the grass, and you look over and see it moving, lay a couple shots into it, or throw a nade.

as for performance, there is actually very very very very little performance hit because of the way every is handled. iG uses 3 LOD\'s at all times(which, like everything else, is generated at run-time), and the blade creation and interaction algos are very short and sweet, meaning less time to deal with it, but just as effective regardless. The general design this whole thing is based off of was capable of being run in realtime(30fps) on a 500mhz machine. Performance really wont be a concern Wink
And no, this is not a option that can be toggled off. that would be an unfair advantage to people who want a cheap advantage.

and shift, while i agree that at a glance, it sounds liek we\'re just shoving everything at next gen hardware, we\'re actually designing pretty much everything to be fast enough to scale to a resonable area reqs wise.
TSE\'s current min reqs(which is about where we intend to maintain TTR\'s):
Quote:Pentium 1 GHz
256 MB RAM
DirectX 9 Compatible 3D Graphics Accelerator - WITH LATEST GRAPHICS DRIVERS
(note, TSE is currently windows only, but *WILL* be crossplatform when it\'s development gets closer to the end, so done worry mac/linux boys Wink )

In closing, iG opens alot of possibilities ingame, while also being designed to run on low end systems.
and if *anyone* feels underwhelmed, i still have a few projects in the work on top of this, so just wait, there\'s quite a bit more to come Wink

-Reno out
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-13-2005, 03:50 AM
Guys, it\'s just grass! Why waste your time on \"pretty grass\" when you should be well on your way to making a game???
10-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Um....hate to break it Everest...but there happen to be 2 coders. 1(Del) is our scripting/gameplay dynamic guy, whereas the other(me) is the engine coding/effects guy.

We are making a game. But what\'s the point of a game if there isnt anything intersting in it? Wink
I\'m the effects/engine guy, and doing my job Tongue
10-13-2005, 04:02 AM
I was talking to the team that allows such pointlessness in general.

I\'m sure you (the team) are working on a game, and I\'m thankful for that, but \"pretty grass\" isn\'t helping your (the team\'s) case at all.
10-13-2005, 06:11 AM
RE: RE: Reno\'s Project Revealed.
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:I was talking to the team that allows such pointlessness in general.

I\'m sure you (the team) are working on a game, and I\'m thankful for that, but "pretty grass" isn\'t helping your (the team\'s) case at all.
interactive grass adds to the gameplay buddy!

i almost gave you a negetive vote, but, no...

wow! come on! :wtf: we get this great update and ur acting all \"shit, what have u lazy bums been upto while i was out drinking with my friends and wanking\" dude!
this is it! this is our dreams becoming a realitly!!! in a bunch of guys fre time!

they are doing some real cool stuff and all you can say is why aint it fininshed

:beg:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2005, 06:35 AM
Once again i find myself in agrement with AL !!!!

Its the little things like grass and other cover that make playing a map interseting and enjoyable.

looking forward to seeing clods of turf being thrown into the air from nades Smile any chance of getting bullet impacts in the grass to throw up a little spray of mud/grass ??
10-13-2005, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2005 08:16 AM by joeb.)
yeah, I mean, why change ttr 1.35 right? if all we add is nice grass.... it\'s all pointless as there already is a ttr right, right??

Really, you seem to miss the point that the grass isn\'t the game, it\'s a feature of it...

- was gonna make a big post, but I think this smiley says it all :\\ -
10-13-2005, 08:20 AM
it was kinda funny when i rushed to see what reno\'s awesome project was. i was all excited and ecstatic and some other verb or something to see... grass. at first, i was like \"damn, thats not what i expected.\" but then i remembered that i didnt know what to expect!

then i started laughing thinking about all the crazy things you could do with the grass. imagine crawling up to some dude and gutting him with your bayo! or rather, while the grass is still new to us and hypnotic in its awesome glory, tossing a nade to divert some dude\'s attention(as he watches chunks of soil and grass fly), then crawl up to him and bayo him! it\'d be great!

also, i think its pretty cool that reno went out and did something nobody else has done right. thats pretty cool, considering that its all the little things that make the game awesome. some other little things include bandaging, pulling the pin before you throw the nade, stamina, weapon sway - dynamic grass only enriches the experience and tweaks the fluid tactics of the game even more. and thats why i like playing ttr anyway. hope this makes sense.

in short: im diggin the grass.
10-13-2005, 12:12 PM
GOF: yes, wer\'re gunna have hit effects that do that sort of thing
Big Grin

also, because TSE\'s material system is crazy customizable, we could do cool things like having mud under grass, dirt under grass, sand under grass, whatever, and it\'d all be customized to that specific surface, so you can have any sort of crazy imapct effect combination you wanted Smile

I\'m glad that most people seem to appreciate this. I had pulled a considerable level of effort over most of the summer working with Sylvian to get me on the right track for this. While he gave me the basic prinicpal, and a white paper(a pdf in french. ack! no translations!), everything since then has been my own effort, and learning as i go.
iG is getting alot closer, and now that IGC is out of the way, i can dedicate some loving to it once again Smile

as for a video: this was Sylvian\'s implementation, and this is *not* in torque just yet(basically all that\'s holding me back is the eternal evil that is OpenGL and rendering in general)
vid:
http://www-evasion.imag.fr/Publications/...er_mp1.mpg

i\'d like to point out that when the vid starts, you see a ball rolling through, then as the camera moves over, you can see the path that the ball crushed through the grass(yes, grass will be crushed down and take time to recover based on the weight of the object, so a tank driving over the grass is gunna smash it down near permanetally, while people\'s trails through it may dissipate in about a minute. pretty spiffy stuff Wink

-Reno out
10-13-2005, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 10-13-2005 12:51 PM by Serpentine.)
:\\ I love you Reno, in all the wrong and right ways, Let me bare your children..... i know im married, but please! i want to have illigitimate love children with a genius!

this looks so awesome, as i always expected from you guys, the whole team, since the start of the site, things are rapidly shaping up, keep it up, i wish i had money in paypal lol, i\'d donate. Wink:tup: