Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reno\'s Project Revealed.
10-14-2005, 06:42 AM
RE: Reno\'s Project Revealed.
like in red faction?
only better?

now, with red faction, i only ever played the demo, but i read that thier nice blow up the rocks feature was under exploited.

maybe it\'s bad if such cool features get too much hype?

...then again?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Lookin\' good. This grass will add an interesting effect. Soldiers can to some extent follow other (possible enemy) soldiers just by traveling through downed grass which indicates that someone was already there :tup:.
10-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Since Eve feels that his rep points show the entire validity of his comment, I figured I would add my few cents to his rep.

Not everyone cares about rep, and it\'s about as accurate as judging the popularity of an idea presented in a comment as counting clouds that are puffy, versus clouds that are flat.

This is a GREAT feature, plus the included comment about deformable terrain makes it even better!

SC
Find all posts by this user
10-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Nice Smile
10-15-2005, 09:12 AM
RE: RE: Reno\'s Project Revealed.
Smithcraft Wrote:Since Eve feels that his rep points show the entire validity of his comment, I figured I would add my few cents to his rep.

Not everyone cares about rep, and it\'s about as accurate as judging the popularity of an idea presented in a comment as counting clouds that are puffy, versus clouds that are flat.

This is a GREAT feature, plus the included comment about deformable terrain makes it even better!

SC

=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:
[JR Wrote:]
(what he said)

shift Wrote:(what he said)

:agree:

We all know who we\'re talking about here: me. *waves* No need for hypocrisy.

I agree my opinions on the grass thing were a little harsh, but they were truthful nonetheless. People share these opinions, albeit not in public: I\'ve had 4 positive reactions and only one negative - so far. That says a lot, in my humble opinion. The people who did praise the grass thing probably only did so because they felt like they had to somehow. But I can\'t speak for them, of course.

If people disagree with me on the grass thing, they can do so in PM\'s or through the reputation system. I have a reputation of 4 green blocks. I did not ask for them. They were given to me. I\'m not boasting with my reputation, in fact it bothers me more than anything, because I feel I don\'t deserve it. Dev team members should get them, but they don\'t. Why? Don\'t they deserve it? Think about that. And then come back to publicly attack me with unconstructive criticism. Thanks!

Also: sorry dev team for not understanding the grass thing. Sorry, but I just don\'t get it. Sorry!
10-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Okay, negative criticism is fine. I\'m all for negative criticism. Constructive negative criticism is the best kind of feedback there is.

But for the love of god, just drop the whole rep thing.

Now that I\'ve got that off my chest... What do I think of iG? I think it\'s a wonderful addition to TTR. One of the most important bits of creating a realistic game is having a realistic environment. The graphics can be life-like, but if you walk right through tall grass, you really have to work at staying immersed in the game world. iG helps us get around that, without needing certain advanced hardware, such as the PhysX chip.

It is worth mentioning that an iG style system was shown off during the PhysX demonstration at IGC. Except they had about 20 blades of grass and the computer was still moving out of its comfort zone. A dual-core hyperthreaded 3.2Ghz P4 with the PhysX chip, moving out of its comfort zone. Meanwhile we have the same thing that doesn\'t even tax a 733Mhz P3. Technologically speaking, this is tomorrow\'s tech on yesterday\'s computers. Even more so actually, given the original whitepaper was written around 1998 I believe.

We\'ve got more stuff in the works too. It\'s not like iG is the only thing we have to show for the past few months. It\'s just the first officially announced thing. Interestingly enough, iG isn\'t the only thing that was in the PhysX demo that we\'ve got. And they said you couldn\'t do any of it on today\'s computers. Hate to break it to them, but all of it works on my 600Mhz G3 iMac.
10-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Wow, this is pretty innovative. Usually overlooked by most people, but not me! Now I really can\'t wait for TTR: HiH!

I love grass now.
10-15-2005, 06:02 PM
do the blades of grass have shadows?
10-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Quote: Do the blades of grass have shadows

I believe they do, in tse at least.

But to be certain, I\'ll let reno or del answer that in a bit more depth.
10-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Currently, no they do not support their own shadowing, thought they\'ll receive shaowing fine(being in the shade makes them darker and you can tell)
If GarageGames implements shadowmapping as their main shadowing approach, then yes, iG could cast shadows, though i\'m currently unsure of the performance impact Wink