Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What makes TTR TTR?
08-30-2005, 07:30 PM
RE: What makes TTR TTR?
And ofcourse spawn points and descriptions of buildings on that map.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2005, 04:31 AM
Sounds like you guys are meaning the minimap style RO uses.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-31-2005, 09:25 AM
i was thinking about what makes ttr ttr, and it hurt because thinking is an action im not accustomed to performing so i had to take a break for a while. but now, a couple aspirin and a mountain dew later, i think i got something.

ttr rocks, man. i remember coming home from school, and jumping right on the computer to play ttr. those were the days, man, \'cause the tactics were changing every week on those maps. i remember on brindisi you\'d be stupid to hang around that window by the canal, and later in the week, you\'d be unbeatable if you did.

the game was just so incredibly fluid in respect to preferred weapon types, favorite maps, badass players and ninja pistol dudes. you could come into the middle of a game, get the crap kicked outta you for a couple minutes, and still love the game because you worked your ass off for every one of your kills.

it was also cool because you had to bandage. realistic... probably not so much - if you\'re bleeding THAT fast, a bandage applied in a couple secs isn\'t gonna stop it - but that made the little time you had to kill other peeps and cap objectives even more precious. also it was great shooting peeps in the legs and watching them bandage their arm.

the nades were fun too. god knows how many times i killed myself with those blasted lil trinkets of devastation, i tk\'ed alot by accident too. but one of the many things that rocked about the nades was how you had to pull the pin b4 throwing it. you scare so many peeps out of hiding by throwing a dead nade, and run into many an ambush if you forget you threw a dead nade.

if you\'re gonna have a crazy interactive envrironment thats cool, and if its more on the sane side i wont be disappointed (i promise (as if you care)) but id be slap happy euphoric with a triple twist and hint of glorious lemon if it just had better graphics. something like a new coat of paint.

but i stray from the point. scratch that, i never knew where the point was. what made ttr jam like a funky... yeah (my metaphors(or similes or analogies? i always get them confused. the story of my life.) need a little work apparently) was how you heard the breathing, had the stamina bar to keep track of, but the breathing told you whether or not you could still run like forest gump if you needed to. that you could crouch and poke your head around a corner, and be more effective than a hippin bar-whore using tracers as substitute for the absence of the vile crosshair.

of course the teamplay aspect was awesome. although i have to admit, that it feels good to charge and kill a whole team of auto-whores with a karbiner and a couple nades, and defend the postition through another wave of itchy fingered automatic wielding crazies. that always feels good, but it also feels good when your team drops a couple objectives at the same time, due to... really cool (sorry, my vocabulary sux, i havent written anything for a while) communication.

RO\'s good, but it doesnt have it. its got graphics and its got nades and its got autos. but, im just not immersed enough to care. although the karma dead physics thing is hilarious. and so are bayonets - mebbe you can get bayonets in there! dude, that\'d be awesome. if u skim over everything i wrote, whoever you are, dont skip this:

BAYONETS (or atleast a good rifle smack)

.... yeah, thats all i got now.
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2005, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2005 02:33 AM by AN GOF..)
great post Moe :tup:

only reason i havnt added my two pence worth before now is that TTR Torque or wotever its gonna be called is almost a tottaly new dev team so i fear that what we loved about TTR:UT wont be \"ported\" accross to this new version.
It was always the maps that impressed me most and most of the best ones were by Seanboy ( prob the best mapper for UT imo)
Dosnt mean im not looking forward to the new version as Spunge and EK will im sure do us proud, Its gonna be a whole new beast so im keeping my fingers crossed Smile
09-01-2005, 05:09 AM
RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
dr.moe Wrote:i was thinking about what makes ttr ttr, and it hurt because thinking is an action im not accustomed to performing so i had to take a break for a while. but now, a couple aspirin and a mountain dew later, i think i got something.

Not used to thinking? Then you must be one of the smartest people around! Big Grin

Quote:the nades were fun too. god knows how many times i killed myself with those blasted lil trinkets of devastation, i tk\'ed alot by accident too.

I remember a certain occasion that was really wonderful.

SC

p.s. Sorry nothing really to add that wasn\'t said before, or by Moe up above.
09-01-2005, 05:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2005 05:38 AM by =D.C.L.I=Everest.)
dr.moe Wrote:ttr rocks, man. i remember coming home from school, and jumping right on the computer to play ttr. those were the days, man, \'cause the tactics were changing every week on those maps. i remember on brindisi you\'d be stupid to hang around that window by the canal, and later in the week, you\'d be unbeatable if you did.
YES! YES! OMG YES!

That\'s definitely a key quality of TTR, but pretty hard to create. I don\'t believe any devs foresaw that it would be like that, it\'s just something that happened. If you try too hard to put it in, you\'ll fail. Better not try too hard if you want it, but I\'m afraid it\'s a lost cause to begin with...

AN GOF. Wrote:fingers crossed Smile
Fingers crossed...
09-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Having all the newbies think the nades aren\'t coded yet cause they throw it and it doesn\'t explode. Tongue

I may be laughing, wait, I am laughing with this, but last TTR sunday I have done the same screwup.
Forgot you had to prime nades before tossing them, unless you\'re hoping to hit someone\'s head hard and knock him unconcious :rofl:
09-14-2005, 05:51 AM
RE: RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
delerium10101 Wrote:
//hugo//:: Wrote:To extend the objectives to another level, i dunno if this could be made, or if it has already been done, but here it goes:
- Maybe we could have an actual (atlas)map of europe (like Risk) on a server, that had regions that would be the maps of the game, when allies conquered map "A" , then that area of the map would turn to a color or flag. Dont know if im explaining ok, but thats my ideia. Build a larger objective rather than a single game map, that would make thing more interesting for a longer time, i suppose. Tech wise i dont know if is doable, and of course it had to have rules, maybe could work as a TTR ladder or something.
My 2 cents Wink
Peace

edit: oops i forgot - add throw in some vehicles while you\'re at it Big Grin

Lore, another game made with Torque, did exactly that. It\'s well within the range of technically doable, the question is if we\'d want to do it.

That would be a great feature for clan matches, methinks! Then again, sometime when there are more than the two \"active\" clans that is. So maybe this is something that could be worked on for the second release when there are hopefully more groups of players going at it.

SC
09-14-2005, 07:53 AM
w00p Wrote:Having all the newbies think the nades aren\'t coded yet cause they throw it and it doesn\'t explode. Tongue

I may be laughing, wait, I am laughing with this, but last TTR sunday I have done the same screwup.
Forgot you had to prime nades before tossing them, unless you\'re hoping to hit someone\'s head hard and knock him unconcious :rofl:

That only happens in Half-life silly Tongue. Stupid feeble minded scientists who f***ed up an experiment, unleashed the aliens, and die when grenades hit their head.

Another thing that makes ttr TTR: watching penguin crawl across \"A Bridge Too Far\" only to be shot by nash after reaching the other side. Big Grin
09-14-2005, 12:40 PM
AN GOF. Wrote:great post Moe :tup:

It was always the maps that impressed me most and most of the best ones were by Seanboy ( prob the best mapper for UT imo)

Which maps were senaboys in original TTR?

Best map ever was Brindisi imo Merkers was up there too, But I also liked a couple of the non so popular ones (names slip my mind) allover every map was great with a full server, so I\'m not so sure it was the maps that made it what it was, I tihnk the unique interface for one, plus the feeling of always looking around you.. life was not cheap in TTR Wink except for you suicide naders GRRRRRr