Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What makes TTR TTR?
08-21-2005, 02:36 PM
RE: What makes TTR TTR?
Big misconception.

Heavy artillery was presighted in before battle. It\'d be damn too far dangerous to try to do it mid battle (at least during WW2).

So possibly make it so that the Artillery Spotter / Officer preset a zone before play starts and then (if they want) call down one or two salvoes anytime in game.

However, smaller artillery like Mortars were very common and used alot. How you want to approach it though, is another thing.

Do you want to make it a class? A player actually controls the mortar?

Or do you want to keep it in the Artillery Spotter class? A person has to feed coordinates into the game to call in a mortar strike?

I personally think it should be the second one. A person sitting up in a mortar nest didn\'t get to decide what they fired at. They were still told where to shoot.

This way if there\'s a fuckup (like the mortars start raining in on friendly troops) the blame will solely be on the officer / artillery spotter, like it was in WW2. So it\'d be more of an incentive to get a competant officer in charge of your team.

Ivan, the English had the Hurri D. But neither the english nor the soviets used it in the close support role.

They\'d send the planes out to find and kill tanks. Whether or not the tanks were engaged with friendly forces is a bonus, but not a necessity.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2005, 10:34 PM
RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
delerium10101 Wrote:Map sizes: This is just part of Torque. The maps extend on infinitely in all directions. While some efforts can be made, it isn\'t reasonable to expect a map that works with 128 players to work with 4, or a map that works with 4 to work with 128. While I can do some magic script-foo, the most I could handle would be to get maps to scale well from, say, 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Small changes like that.
Best thing to do would be make the maps grow gradually as more players join the game, indeed. And while you\'re at it, how about coupling the number of objectives to all that?

For every x players that join, the map grows/an objective is added*, and for every yx players that join, an objective is added/the map grows* (x being number of players, y being a set multitude of that). Hope that makes sense.

* Whichever would work best.
08-22-2005, 10:57 PM
RE: RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
delerium10101 Wrote:I mean that if we have a playable at IGC, we aren\'t going to let everyone who went to IGC play it but not the community members who have been waiting patiently for almost a year to see TTR:Torque.
tomcat ha Wrote:Im touched.
Ah man, that\'s by far the best representation of the community malaise I\'ve ever seen! Big Grin Right on, tomcat! You da man Tongue
08-24-2005, 04:30 PM
RE: RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:
delerium10101 Wrote:Map sizes: This is just part of Torque. The maps extend on infinitely in all directions. While some efforts can be made, it isn\'t reasonable to expect a map that works with 128 players to work with 4, or a map that works with 4 to work with 128. While I can do some magic script-foo, the most I could handle would be to get maps to scale well from, say, 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Small changes like that.
Best thing to do would be make the maps grow gradually as more players join the game, indeed. And while you\'re at it, how about coupling the number of objectives to all that?

For every x players that join, the map grows/an objective is added*, and for every yx players that join, an objective is added/the map grows* (x being number of players, y being a set multitude of that). Hope that makes sense.

* Whichever would work best.

With TSE we could do that, because TSE terrain supports paging over the network, which is pure unfiltered awesome. TGE on the other hand.... not so much. Objectives could be changed, but the actually map... not in TGE. In TSE though... well, let me put it this way. In TSE we could have, literally, all of Europe be a single map and not even begin to push how much the terrain can handle. Or we could have but a single square meter. And we can scale anywhere in between any time we want.

An update: The ideas are very nice. Especially the game mode w00p suggested. That is currently looking very good for being written up. However, my TTR time has been cut short a bit as of late. TTR doesn\'t pay, and I\'m a tad strapped for cash. To solve this, I have now taken on four contract jobs (all for the same feature, so it\'s like one contract job I send out to four people). This job will probably take up a good portion of the next couple of weeks.

Also, that bit of tech I mentioned in my dev log is getting closer and closer to being Alpha every day. All of the main pieces of code are in, and functioning. There just happens to be so much polish work and minor feature additions to put in that... well, ya. The last 10% takes 90% of the time. I\'m in the last 30% or so. Either way it should be fun.

If you guys happen to be interested in my contract work (most of what I do does manage to find its way into TTR) just ask and I\'ll be more than happy to provide you with the full technical run down, and the price list if you are so inclined.

-Give me money!
08-24-2005, 09:30 PM
The_Punisher Wrote:Ivan, the English had the Hurri D. But neither the english nor the soviets used it in the close support role.

They\'d send the planes out to find and kill tanks. Whether or not the tanks were engaged with friendly forces is a bonus, but not a necessity.

Umm..... *puts cap on and gets out his big big book called \"the hawker hurricane\"*

IIB\'s IIC\'s and some IID\'s were used in the close support role.. mainly in Africa...

IIB\'s packing 12 brownings and bombs were the primary CAS utilised version.
IIC\'s packing 4 30mm were used to harrass enemy reinforcements.
IID\'s the few that were used in the CAS role were on a trial basis (book says a total of 7 used) and were under the direct command of Monty himself. It didnt work well (they were sitting ducks for infantry machine guns) so they were transferred to anti-shipping and Typhoons brought in to be tested... they weren\'t much better in Africa than Hurricanes so weren\'t deployed operationaly.
08-25-2005, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2005 09:36 AM by The_Punisher.)
Quote:IID\'s the few that were used in the CAS role were on a trial basis (book says a total of 7 used) and were under the direct command of Monty himself. It didnt work well (they were sitting ducks for infantry machine guns) so they were transferred to anti-shipping and Typhoons brought in to be tested... they weren\'t much better in Africa than Hurricanes so weren\'t deployed operationaly.

I might be getting the designation messed up...

But the Hurricaine Mk. IID had 2 40mm cannons with AP rounds. The two cannons fired at the same time with 30 rounds total (15rpg). There were several hundred of these used.

They took it then made the Hurri MkIV(b?) . It\'s practically the same plane except you could switch out the 40\'s for 2 500lb bombs. 2,000 (or so) of these planes were made (not sure about used) until 1944 or something. This includes conversions, around 800 originals.

The HurriD did excellent against the early to mid war german tanks (as did the Il2). It\'s just the late war tanks (tiger and king tiger) that proved to be difficult, but not impossible.

I actually think I know the exact book you are talking about. It made practically no mention of the IID.

http://www.vectorsite.net/avhurr.html
08-25-2005, 07:11 PM
Who cares, that\'s not what this thread is about. There was probably way too many specific stuff about that weapons and whatnot to get it all right in one game anyway. Focus on what\'s important, please. In fact, that\'s one of the things that made TTR TTR.
08-26-2005, 09:53 PM
That\'s what I said!

SC
08-27-2005, 05:54 AM
The balance between realism and gameplay is what made TTR so enjoyable. The immersion factor, the emotions (fear, andrenaline, even anger Tongue). Now, i suggest you keep the next gen project \"TTR\". The basics were already in TTR 1.0, its up to the map makers to make the most of the Torque engine, the rest are details. So i say, keep the formula (multiple objectives, respawning) but don\'t be afraid to borrow from other games (Enemy Territory for example). Keep it simple, empower the mappers, and the rest will take care of itself.
08-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Snake Wrote:don\'t be afraid to borrow from other games (Enemy Territory for example).

uhm, is there something good about ET? :eek::con::roll::wtf:Wink