Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What makes TTR TTR?
08-20-2005, 10:21 PM
RE: What makes TTR TTR?
I think Shift gave the perfect ideas for what to improve on TTR, well done. I could have said the same things.

# Player Numbers <--- whatever you do make sure it plays just as well 1-on-1 Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2005, 12:24 AM
Well airsupport cant be really done as attacking a single spot. Air support would mean asking aircraft to strafe enemy targets in a area. In ww2 that would mean typhoons and such. No large scale bombartments.

Arty support would only be light infantry guns and mortars. Fixed anti tank guns can be added but no 152 mm guns.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2005, 02:39 AM
Quote:Map sizes: This is just part of Torque. The maps extend on infinitely in all directions. While some efforts can be made, it isn\'t reasonable to expect a map that works with 128 players to work with 4, or a map that works with 4 to work with 128. While I can do some magic script-foo, the most I could handle would be to get maps to scale well from, say, 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Small changes like that.

There is a solution for this that I\'ve been yelling for years.

What you do is tell the game to get a count of how many players there are at the end of a round. Based on how many players there are, a certain set of maps open up to be used.

I.E. IF there are 6 people, Himmel\'s Fahrt opens up and everything else closes.

If there are 20 people, Market Garden opens up and every other small map closes.

This way you\'ll never have 4 people only playing market garden.

Tomcat, there was never really close air support the way you think of it. Planes weren\'t just used that way. If they were near, they might help, but it\'s a small chance.

However, there were a lot of Forward Artillery Spotters.
08-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Indeed the problem in reallife is that big artillery would probably never be called in if there was a fullscale attack going on. Lets see Arti before + Arti after an attack, but not near your own troops.

That is just based on what I thought.

Just a mobile/stationary mortar squad would be cool, imagine shooting the mortar straight up and kill your whole squad Smile
08-21-2005, 03:48 AM
RE: RE: What makes TTR TTR?
LivingTarget Wrote:Just a mobile/stationary mortar squad would be cool, imagine shooting the mortar straight up and kill your whole squad Smile

Oh yeah, imagine what we could have done to OG with that back in the day!Big Grin
08-21-2005, 04:06 AM
The_Punisher Wrote:
Quote:Map sizes: This is just part of Torque. The maps extend on infinitely in all directions. While some efforts can be made, it isn\'t reasonable to expect a map that works with 128 players to work with 4, or a map that works with 4 to work with 128. While I can do some magic script-foo, the most I could handle would be to get maps to scale well from, say, 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Small changes like that.

There is a solution for this that I\'ve been yelling for years.

What you do is tell the game to get a count of how many players there are at the end of a round. Based on how many players there are, a certain set of maps open up to be used.

I.E. IF there are 6 people, Himmel\'s Fahrt opens up and everything else closes.

If there are 20 people, Market Garden opens up and every other small map closes.

Tomcat, there was never really close air support the way you think of it. Planes weren\'t just used that way. If they were near, they might help, but it\'s a small chance.

However, there were a lot of Forward Artillery Spotters.
Probably not on the western front... the english never had something like the Il-2
08-21-2005, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2005 04:45 AM by //hugo//::.)
Before i came to TTR:UT i was a massive Strike Force player, the things that made me switch to TTR despite it didnt had a large variety of modern day weapons, were:

- Objectives - specially the conquer territory type of action, and blow up things. They make you feel that you are killing around for a porpuse Big Grin , not just to get points.

- Strategic thinking - Teamplay, and taking key locations were essencial to win a match. Great creativity exercise.

- Weapons look and feel - One of the main things that made me really enjoy shooting around, were the iron-sites, and the feeling that the weapons were almost real and heavy, contrary to infiltration 2.9 weapons that seemed like plastic, most of them anyway, if you played inf2.9 you know what i mean.

To extend the objectives to another level, i dunno if this could be made, or if it has already been done, but here it goes:
- Maybe we could have an actual (atlas)map of europe (like Risk) on a server, that had regions that would be the maps of the game, when allies conquered map \"A\" , then that area of the map would turn to a color or flag. Dont know if im explaining ok, but thats my ideia. Build a larger objective rather than a single game map, that would make thing more interesting for a longer time, i suppose. Tech wise i dont know if is doable, and of course it had to have rules, maybe could work as a TTR ladder or something.
My 2 cents Wink
Peace

edit: oops i forgot - add throw in some vehicles while you\'re at it Big Grin
08-21-2005, 05:17 AM
//hugo//:: Wrote:To extend the objectives to another level, i dunno if this could be made, or if it has already been done, but here it goes:
- Maybe we could have an actual (atlas)map of europe (like Risk) on a server, that had regions that would be the maps of the game, when allies conquered map "A" , then that area of the map would turn to a color or flag. Dont know if im explaining ok, but thats my ideia. Build a larger objective rather than a single game map, that would make thing more interesting for a longer time, i suppose. Tech wise i dont know if is doable, and of course it had to have rules, maybe could work as a TTR ladder or something.
My 2 cents Wink
Peace

edit: oops i forgot - add throw in some vehicles while you\'re at it Big Grin

Lore, another game made with Torque, did exactly that. It\'s well within the range of technically doable, the question is if we\'d want to do it.

As for vehicles, yes, there are some plans to have one or two available to players. The idea is that TTR is largely an infantry sim, so letting some guy just jump into a tank and start wreaking havoc doesn\'t fit in with that very well.

The_Punisher Wrote:There is a solution for this that I\'ve been yelling for years.

It\'s not map to map switching that I\'m worried about. It\'s the fact that we\'re simply not going to have a different map per number of players, or even for every additional 4 players, probably not for every additional 8 players either. While the community will no doubt eventually fill in the gaps, we\'re not going to be releasing TTR with 32 maps unless divine intervention or some serious delays are involved. So, I\'ll be doing some work on getting maps to properly scale from, say, 8 to 16 players so that the map is fun and playable and doesn\'t feel cumbersome in that range. This might mean cutting down on secondary objectives, adjusting weapon and player respawn times, and tweaking the number of static defensive positions. With enough script-foo tweaking, and some well designed maps, we could probably make do with about 10 maps to start. A nice number so it doesn\'t get too repetetive before more maps are released, but not so many that we have to delay.

Keep in mind all the map numbers are for the main release of TTR:Torque. While I wouldn\'t put any big money on it, a playable version might be released shortly after IGC. And by shortly, I mean that if we have a playable at IGC, we aren\'t going to let everyone who went to IGC play it but not the community members who have been waiting patiently for almost a year to see TTR:Torque.
08-21-2005, 06:10 AM
Im touched.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-21-2005, 10:29 AM
One of the things that struck me most about TTR besides what was mentioned already, was the instant immersion.

You could casually jump into a random game, and by the time you picked you team, class, and had spawned, you felt that you where \"in the zone\" and felt highly immersed in the game almost right off, unlike alot of games that take some time for you to feel really into it.
That allowed TTR to really feel like casual gamer\'s dream, while making Hardcore games love it just as much Smile

Also, Del\'s the man with the plan on this sort of thing, as he has far more scripting knowledge than me, though i can agree with most of what he\'s been saying.

Concerning a few feature reccomenedations that have been tossed(even though Del\'s probably covered them already Tongue )

Vehicles: TTR was designed as an infantry sim, and intends to stay that way. Tanks and Airplanes will be off limits from players instead controlled by AI, though there\'s the possiblity of players being able to control jeeps, and maybe even transport trucks.

Airstrikes and artillery:
In hurtgen, there was far to much overhead cover and fog for accurate airstrikes, and artillery was used, as previously mentioned, prior, or after an attack, if at all(to ensure that the enemies didnt know you where coming)
While it\'s possible that we might include the option to have artillery or mortar strikes, it\'ll have to be considered carefully how it can be balanced and kept realistic, possibly including the need for radio men in order to relay the message.

Cant think of any others right off the bat, but that gives some insight to what we\'re thinking for those.

Lots of really good insights to what you guys liked/disliked about TTR, keep it all rolling Big Grin
(and some really interesting game modes included, i like Smile )

-Reno out