Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Jack Thompson
08-17-2005, 08:49 AM
Jack Thompson
Alright, after reading alot of stuff about Jack Thompson in the past few days, ranging from emails, to stuff about his tv excerts, i wanted to know what all of you think about what Jack Thompson is doing, and what he claims.

Remember, keep it civil.

I, for one, disagree with 99.9% of what he says, i agree that the Hot Coffee mod was stupid for the developers to add, but on the same side of things, it was never meant for release.

Pretty much all of his claims against \"Violent\" video games(which only ever consist of GTA, oddly enough) are hardly, if at all, backed with actual data.

He also doesnt seem to be capable of keeping debates with anyone but the press mature either.

This page has a compilation of stuff Jack has said, quite a bit to different forums members at the Ctrl Alt Del webcomic forum.

http://stopstopkill.com/thompson/darndest.html

It seems pretty immature, from where i\'m sitting, considering he\'s a big name lawyer.

What do the rest of you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2005, 09:56 AM
RE: Jack Thompson
A good read:
http://gr.bolt.com/articles/violence/violence.htm

I think it\'s pretty tough to get mad about adult content in a game that should already be adult only in the first place. They make it sound like we are brainwashing the kids.
08-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh, we aren\'t LT? Someone\'s gotta get the memos out quicker!
08-17-2005, 01:26 PM
This whole GTA deal is a load of crap.

From that 85 year old woman who bought it for her grandson, who was 14, and is suing for millions, to all the other idiots who get don\'t get upset over a game that features prostitution, narcotics, stealing, and wanton murder, who then go ballistic over a poorly rendered and not too accurate sex scene.

Read the freaking ratings people!

SC
08-17-2005, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2005 08:34 PM by =D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD.)
The whole debate is kinda freakish, seen from horny old Europe, where violence and gore is the big no-no, while a pair of tits or a swear word on television will shock no one.

We even let infants prance around on the beaches without grownup swimwear (i.e. naked), but ban the use of guns! How sick and twisted are we? (<<<-- irony alert - fuck dem smilies, I hate them.).

(runs for the ... morally higher ground)
08-17-2005, 07:24 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2005 07:26 PM by w00p.)
Actually, I think europe is quite right with that mentality.
It is proven that sex and sexuality are parts of the human being.
Having no sexuality is like having no concioussness, or no guilt. Fysologically, you\'d be considered a monster without any sexual thoughts, right up there with hannibal lector! Wink

Violence however, don\'t add anything to a productive, healthy life, nor happyness.
Guns may be a sport or hobby, but violence is nothing but:
-an unhealthy and immoral outlet of frustrations.
The healthy outlet would be to talk about it.
-part of a vicious chain (not circle).
A child raised by unfriendly parents knows no better than to make himself feel \"superior\" over others by ways of violence.
This violence is always acted out on someone else and, in certain scale, produces the same effect.
Violence is \"passed on\" as if it was contageous.

Violence doesn\'t contribute to aynthing, sexuality does.

As for that dipstick that shouts all about gaming being the cause of violence children that aren\'t violent, he\'s... well... A DIPSTICK! :angry:
Tongue
08-17-2005, 08:36 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2005 08:37 PM by =D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD.)
Actually, Thompson has a point. GTA made several 14 year olds wanna choke the chicken, I hear. Some even spanked the monkey!
08-17-2005, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2005 09:54 PM by joeb.)
heheh, funny stuff.
08-17-2005, 11:30 PM
Very funny.

C\'mon guys, Jack is digging his own grave. No one cares. If he takes on EA, I\'m on EA\'s side, only to see Jack get blown to smithereenies Big Grin
08-17-2005, 11:50 PM
who wants to bet there\'ll be a hidden \'kill jack thompson\' mission in the next rockstar game..

anyway, for most kids playing video games isnt a way to learn how to kill people, its a way to vent the anger without killing real people.. the ones that go stab their teacher and blame it on a video game are psycho to begin with, games like GTA dont teach you how to kill people, last i checked you cant just walk into a shopping center, click a button, kill a cop, hide in a garage for a while and the cops will stop looking for you. Games dont teach you how to use guns, how to kill a hundred people and get away with it.. at the most they may teach the little overly impressionable kid that running someone over gets you points.. but then that kid is probably too young to be playing the game in the first place, so if he goes and runs someone over then demands he has the right to take their money, his parents shouldve told him running people over isnt good, they shouldnt have let him play the game if they were worried, and they shouldnt have lent him the darn car

[/end rant]