Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Deep Thought QotW.
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
RE: Deep Thought QotW.
Well, if you people refuse to acknowledge the presence of souls. you can at least try to analyze the question of whether or not they have consciousness.

I.E. Are they aware that they are here?

Like Tomcat is talking about. He thinks that his cats like to be with him and obviously show this.

But is this possibly just programmed responses? The cats like to be petted and know they won\'t be petted at the Vet, so it doesn\'t like to go to the vet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Quote:I.E. Are they aware that they are here?

I\'ve seen daughter guinnea pig stay with her dying mother, I\'ve seen daughter guinnea pig help her paralysed mother through the cage till she got better, I\'ve heared them squeel when something was wrong (we didn\'t know one was sick, 1 week later they all -except for one- died). I\'ve seen cats run away the second I went away, I\'ve seen cats \"ask\" me to labour them, I\'ve seen the same cat punish her kittens after I punished them first like \"now see what you did!\", I\'ve seen the look in an animals eye before dying even if you try to save it. I\'ve seen footage of slaughterhouses where they run for their lives proving they know what happens, have empathy in a way. This and more \"proves\" to me they are aware and if you are aware then you have a intellect. Don\'t think pigeons are very smart though, depends on the animal.

Programmed responses: nah, some, like ours are instincts and programmed. WE as humans are programmed as hell, there\'s psychology to show us that we have many similar behaviours no matter where you are from. Pets don\'t get petted at the vet?? Why don\'t kids like to go to the dentist, they surely get candy when they leave over here (smart move come to think of it). My dog doesn\'t give a shit about the vet, my \"asylum\" cat freaked out when we left to get her cured but then one might think that all the asylum-vet did was give a killshot.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2005, 09:47 PM
RE: RE: Deep Thought QotW.
The_Punisher Wrote:Well, if you people refuse to acknowledge the presence of souls. you can at least try to analyze the question of whether or not they have consciousness.

I.E. Are they aware that they are here?

Like Tomcat is talking about. He thinks that his cats like to be with him and obviously show this.

But is this possibly just programmed responses? The cats like to be petted and know they won\'t be petted at the Vet, so it doesn\'t like to go to the vet.

you just answered your own question.
EVERY animal in this world (including ourselves) can think, you have got smart animals and animals that are less smart (humans are the species with the most variety of dumb/smart people)
If you think about this question, you might aswell start to define what you mean by thinking, because almost everything we do in life, is not done by thinking but my following a scripted event, where your brain remembered what happened sometime else and applies that experience to that moment.

Just because animals dont speak english doesnt mean they cant think.

Humans have to stop claiming theyre sooo friggin intelligent..

by the way, this made me think of Biology class where my teacher said that if we wrote that animals could think in our exam, we\'d fail o_O
After that me and a friend convinced my teacher that they could think :-)
Find all posts by this user
08-17-2005, 10:49 PM
My brother had a operation a while ago. One of our cats which also had a operation not too long before that my lil brother had his.

When he returned he apparantly smelled the Anasthetics or however you spell tranquilaizer drugs and started acting very strangely because he knows that smell from his own operation.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user