Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hola from Granada
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Hola from Granada
A copy of my post from the DCLI forums :

Well, I\'m on vacation at last. Friday we went straight from Cartagena to Granada and we\'ve been here ever since. We\'ve visited almost everything worth while here in Granada (I\'ll post pictures when I get home as I\'ve sent my laptop back to Norway so I won\'t have to carrie that around aswell as a tourist).

We started our tour of Granada, Saturday, with a long walk (4-5 hours) through the town stopping by an ancient arabic bathhouse, some flamenco clubs, two old churches, a monestary and ofcourse plenty of cervecerias. It was a great way to familiarize ourselves with parts of the city.

Yesterday we did the tourist thing and visited Alhambra. It was simply amazing. Well preserved and majestic. We used a couple of hours to walk through the ancient arabic palace (palacio Nazeria?) trying to figure out what parts of wich walls spelled \"there is no other conqueror than Allah\" wich supposedly is written all over the place Smile.

We went from there to Carlos V\'s palace and did a quick tour of that renessance building. In short it was big, round and greek/roman inspired.

Next we went to see the fortress, the oldest part of Alhambra and to the best lookout point in town. Got som good shots from there.

The last bit of Alhambra we toured was the \"Generalife\", meaning \"the architects garden\" along with the arabic rulers summer palace. Also astonishing.

Note : Forgive my terrible english at this point. I blame the lousy spanish keyboard and my semi-learned spanish influencing whatever I say these days. Even in norwegian. After having spoken a lot of german to a girl in Cartagena I mixed english, german spanish and french into a great language salad that noone seemed to understand. Not even me. So, yeah. Language confusion these days.

Tomorrow we leave Granada for our next little adventure. We\'re going to Cordoba. There we\'re planning on seeing another famous cathedral where the christians for once did not tear down the old mosque but simply converted it to a church and later added more to it to create a cathedral. It is said to be wonderful. After seeing the cathedral of Granada it does have something to live up to.

After two full days in Cordoba we will take the buss back to Granada and from there to Alicante for one last day of sun and beach before our flight leaves for Norway. Still, the sun has been far from missing. I\'ve \"shaved\" my head to have more of a summer cut and received a good sunburn on my first day as a baldie. Still, I\'m not one who cares too much about that as sunburns usually turn into tan on me. Kristine is a bit more worried, being a blonde and all.

About blondes. Wherever we go here in Spain guys will throw remarks at Kristine. Guappa, blondie, \"pretty girl\", \"tasty\" and things like that. Luckily I\'m the sort of guy who takes that as a compliment to myself rather than \"competition\". So far, there has been only one \"true\" incident where some drunk kids got a bit too carried away. Me, with my now bald head, and new \"too cool\" sunglasses seemed to be enough to scare them away when I raised my voice a bit though. Chickens Big Grin

Well, I\'m writing an essay once again. I\'ll get on with summing it all up.

I\'ve now been in Spain for just short of a full month. It\'s been great so far, but I must say I\'m starting to miss home, my new car (that I have yet to drive. It\'s just waiting for me.), finishing touches on my garage, my internet buddies, my work etc. I\'m looking forward to Cordoba and Alicante, but I\'m also looking forward to getting back to business as usual.

Expect to see some piccies once I get my stuff together back home. Another happy announcement is that I\'ll be having broadband in August/September. Yay! 24 hour EK Smile

Miss you all. See you in 6 days Wink
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2005, 01:39 AM
RE: Hola from Granada
man, been busy havent ya Tongue

hope to see ya back here soon(and working Wink )
enjoy the last bit of yer vacation man Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
05-17-2005, 05:21 AM
I\'m too tired and lazy too read a paragraph like that, so I\'ll say have a good time and excuse myself... Big Grin
05-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Hope you\'re having fun EK Big Grin, now get back here and work Tongue Just kidding, enjoy the rest of your holiday Smile.
05-18-2005, 12:01 AM
sounds nice i wish i was away from this school ridden place.
05-19-2005, 02:16 AM
Yeah, just a couple more days and I\'ll be back in the saddle working with spungie to get the new site up and running. As I said, I\'ll have broadband connection in about two months and everything will be so much easier then.

Anyways, I\'ve just had a little look at what the new site will/could look like. I can\'t wait to get back and help fill it with bits and pieces of info, screenies, weapon information etc Wink

You\'ve all got a nice little package coming in not too long Smile
05-19-2005, 03:12 AM
I forgot to add this.

Enjoy this vacation because this is the last one in a while if its up to me.

* tomcat ha grabs his whip
05-19-2005, 05:50 AM
One of my need-to-see destinations
05-20-2005, 12:56 AM
Crazy : Wich one?

As for today, I\'m in the internet cafe solely because Kristine wanted to go shopping, something I don\'t much care for. It\'s actually a relief to be off the streets as the heat here today is waaaay too much for me. We have passed +35 degrees celsuis and still getting warmer. I finally know why the spanish people are so slow. Ma?ana, ma?ana, ma?ana...

Well, in rougly 7 hours we\'re taking the night bus towards Alicante and the beach. 11 hours on a bus is a bit much, but it was the best option out of 3 with getting the most out of Friday aswell. We\'ll arrive around 11:30 tomorrow, get a hotel and head for the beach and some lovely drinks and cervecas.

About spanish beer : Personally I like the San Miguel, but there are a few other alternatives that also goes down the hatch without trouble. Mahou being one of them. The Granada beer, Alhambra (duh) is not my beer for some odd reason and it\'s what you get almost everywhere in Granada unless you want to pay extra for Heineken or Bud (wich I also don\'t fancy too much.)

Anyways, I suspect this is my last \"transmission\" from Spain. I\'ll get on with uploading some piccies once I hit the motherland.

See you all on a more regular basis in a few days. Hasta la vista, baby! (Sorry, couldn\'t resist).
05-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Granada, Alhambra palace

Some of the other ones on the list
Gaudi cathedral Barcelona
Istanbul
Smithsonian institute (aircraft museum)
Simsheim (tupolevs)
Monino airbase (more tupolevs)