Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
An interesting blog to make the point about engines....
05-20-2005, 07:04 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2005 07:05 AM by =D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD.)
RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines....
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:
The_Punisher Wrote:Ha! Anyway, Command and Conquer is the greatest strategy game ever.
For once, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you! Don\'t ask me how that feels, okay Tongue

I was sort of addicted to Red Alert Skirmishes... Man, all those hours I spent building huge armies in Skirmish, only to give up and retry when I started to get slaughtered by my opponents... Ah the good old days Big Grin

Delirium_ Wrote:the total war series are the best strategy games

:con:

So, about those engines. I really like trains! Like the way they go thru tunnels, just like fornication!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2005, 11:10 AM
hehe... GO PAT!
07-22-2005, 01:49 AM
My lada has a 1.5L petrol fuel injection engine...

what\'s this thread about?

oh, game engines for grafhics and stuff.

my question: what is the difference between the graphics engines in the last 3 GTA games? are they all the same engin but tweaked??
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2005, 07:23 AM
they all use renderware, so yes. the graphics in the latest one were toned down to the huge size and lack of loading times.
12-15-2005, 06:11 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2005 06:15 AM by SgtH3nry3.)
Never underestimate Reality Engine.

It\'s not only that Reality Engine is \"so damn good\".

It\'s because Unreal Engine 3.0 is very limited, it\'s limited in polycounts (yeah they can be ridiculously high), the real-time radiosity pipeline is very small (thus no subsurface scattering and stuff), the mapsize is limited, it lacks day and night shifting so you can\'t make games like FarCry out of it...

Never wondered why wonderman Stieglitz was bought over by Epic??
They made so much offers to the guy just to get him working on UE3.0 and even UE4.0 which they are hopelessly are telling everyone only one man is working on it while they are working on it day and night.

It\'s all one pile of bullcrap... Nothing more.

I\'d prefer Reality Engine anyday, even if it\'s only because of the much lower price.

EDIT: GameBryo 2.0 is the engine of Oblivion, it\'s predecessor was NetImmerse engine which powered games like Neverwinter Nights and Morrowind.
It\'s very versatile but lacks the graphics, IMO gameplay is much better than graphics.
But the best is to have both at top-notch scale.

CryEngine is atm. a very good beginner.
Source too, but it just missed the physics breakthrough and SM3.0...
It could be better though.
12-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Oblivion is on GameBryo? I\'m pretty sure that\'s the first game to come out on the Unreal 3 engine. And not only that, it by no means lacks graphics so I don\'t see how it\'s on GameBryo.
12-15-2005, 04:35 PM
I\'m gonna chime in here again, repeating the point the original blog post made. When it comes down to it, the skill, talent, and dedication of the artist matters far more than the engine involved. I\'ve seen truly impressive things pushed through Torque (Torque, not Torque Shader Engine, just your plain \'ol fixed function software T&L Torque) just because the artist was talented enough to create mind boggling scenes. TSE has been used to create some absolutely stunning upcoming games that I\'m really looking forward to (well, if I had a shader card that is). I mean, so what if your game utilizes the extreme power of OpenGL 3.0 and DirectX 11 in tandem with shader model 5.0 operating at a sub fragment level. If your art sucks, your game looks terrible. If your art rocks, the game looks great regardless of all the fancy buzzwords marketing can shove down your throat. All those weapons JoeB has made? We can drop those into Torque, they\'ll look great. Hell, some people have taken the Half-Life 2 textures, dropped those into Torque, and suddenly Torque looked almost as good as Half-Life 2.

And since I\'m ranting about comparing indie engines and commercial engines, have we looked at TSE lately? Its terrain engine can do more than Terragen can and runs in real time. Just last week TSE terrain got support for arbitrary poly-soup meshes created in Max. It works with both OpenGL and DirectX. Its networking model supports play between the XBox 360 and your PC. UE3 can\'t do quite a bit of what TSE does. For a $250 engine compared to a $... eh, no public amount, more than $750,000 though (I personally think it\'s around $1.25 million) this is a pretty huge accomplishment.

And under the careful care of Reno and I, its getting better. indieGrass (ya, that grass thingy that some people love to hate) is next-gen. No engine can claim being able to do that (hell, UE3 was bragging about being able to do stuff I\'ve taken for granted since getting TGE). Then there\'s the stuff I\'ve been working on, and the new projects on the good ol\' to-do list (the scary to-do list from hell). The research papers I have sitting in front of me weren\'t precisely meant for use in games, but that won\'t stop me. Admittedly, the fact that you need graduate level math to understand the prerequisites of the prerequisites of these papers mind hinder me a bit. But ultimately, TTR is a next-gen game. And I am sick and tired of hearing \"next-gen game\" and seeing pretty graphics (that were possible since 2004) with sub-par physics (that have been around since 2001). A next-gen game is a game that actually puts those dual 3.6Ghz cores to good use and makes that X1800 cry like a little girl. Of course, it can\'t *require* that kind of power, but who\'s to say that we can\'t let it use that kind of power if it can?

Are shaders useful? Oh hell yes. Shaders make all sorts of things possible that weren\'t possible before. Are shaders the be all and end all of good graphics? No, no they aren\'t. Are graphics the be all and end all of a good game? God I hope not.
12-15-2005, 04:40 PM
i totally agree with that delerium
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-15-2005, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2005 05:56 PM by SgtH3nry3.)
RE: RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines....
Yellowbelly Wrote:Oblivion is on GameBryo? I\'m pretty sure that\'s the first game to come out on the Unreal 3 engine. And not only that, it by no means lacks graphics so I don\'t see how it\'s on GameBryo.
Nope it uses GameBryo 2.0 with the Havok physics engine and SpeedTree RT.

The very first planned UE3.0 was Unreal Tournament 2007, afterwards came Gears of War (the very first working game on UE3.0), Duke Nukem Forever, and then all the other stuff like Brothers in Arms 3.0, Red Orchestra, a new Men of Valor!?!?!, Turok 4, etc was planned.

But Oblivion actually uses the second version of the NetImmerse engine which Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights used called GameBryo 2.

And btw. it\'s Unreal Engine 3(.0) and not Unreal 3 Engine because Unreal 3 doesn\'t exist, and I doubt the plans don\'t exist as well.
Probably Unreal 3 will be powered by Unreal Engine 4.0...
12-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Afaik, RO is still floating around on UE2.0....
anywho, i think Del nailed it flawlessly, so he gets cookies.
And while i\'m at it, Delirium gets cookies because i dunno if i spelt the name wrong. So just to be safe XD

Also, yes M:ESO is on GameBryo2:
http://www.emergentgametech.com/index.ph...ents-games

Honestly, though, i think i\'ll stick with Torque.
* Reno hugs Torque