Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Super Volcano!
04-20-2005, 07:40 AM
Super Volcano!
I just saw an ad on tv for a BBC series called \"Super Volcano\", some sort of disaster movie about a humongous monstrosity of a volcano beneath Yellowstone NP that comes to explosion. Looked mighty interesting, and I had heard about it before, so I decided to dig deeper into the subject.

Here\'s a somewhat doomsdayish but nevertheless informative site I\'ve found: http://exodus2006.com/supervol.html.

Heh. *hums \"REM - It\'s The End Of The World\"*
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2005, 02:07 PM
RE: Super Volcano!
From the article:

The predicted effects of a Yellowstone eruption are the immediate devastation of North America followed by several years of freezing weather for the whole world.

Well that’s a fun thought to end the day with. Either buried under several feet of ash or freezing my tail off in an extra, super cold Canada. Maybe I’ll plan to be in Australia in 2010, just in case.
04-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Australia won\'t save you when that asteroid hits!

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...160&tid=14

SC
04-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Hmm, looks like we have some interesting decades ahead of us then. It\'s about time some of the doomsday predictions came true, otherwise there have been grave calculation errors way back when Tongue In that aspect, I might actually be optimistic this time Smile
04-20-2005, 09:18 PM
hehe, at least we won\'t be bored Tongue

also, april the 13th ey, is that on a friday? hehe
04-20-2005, 10:11 PM
RE: RE: Super Volcano!
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:Hmm, looks like we have some interesting decades ahead of us then. It\'s about time some of the doomsday predictions came true, otherwise there have been grave calculation errors way back when Tongue In that aspect, I might actually be optimistic this time Smile

So I take it you haven\'t head of the rock outcrop island near the Canaries then?
04-20-2005, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2005 11:15 PM by joeb.)
RE: RE: RE: Super Volcano!
viper Wrote:So I take it you haven\'t head of the rock outcrop island near the Canaries then?

ah yes, you mean that thing that if it erupts it\'ll bring a 200m tsunami to the US east coast?:eek:
04-20-2005, 11:22 PM
lol not \'erupt\'... if theres an earthquake in the trench near it, its unstable and slide in the atlantic.... resultant displacement will trigger a mega tsunami that will pretty much wipe out the south west of the Uk (sorry An Gof), spain, portugal will be completely engulfed, and parts of Africa.

The defence against this is in island.... they have employed a guy to sit on the south west coast of ireland looking for a tsunami lol
04-20-2005, 11:38 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2005 11:49 PM by =D.C.L.I=Everest.)
RE: RE: RE: Super Volcano!
viper Wrote:
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:Hmm, looks like we have some interesting decades ahead of us then. It\'s about time some of the doomsday predictions came true, otherwise there have been grave calculation errors way back when Tongue In that aspect, I might actually be optimistic this time Smile

So I take it you haven\'t head of the rock outcrop island near the Canaries then?
Yeah I heard about that, the big rock shelf on La Palma in the Canaries that\'ll send a bulldozing monster of a wave towards the American coasts as well as European coasts, when it slides off. But horribly destructive as it is, I don\'t see it as an extinction level event. If the Yellowstone caldera explodes with the magnitude they predict it will, we\'ll all be dead one way or another.

More info on the mega tsunami: http://www.es.ucsc.edu/~ward/papers/La_Palma_grl.pdf (page 3).

But for an extinction level event, I\'d still put my money on the supervolcano Tongue
04-21-2005, 01:20 AM
RE: RE: Super Volcano!
viper Wrote:a mega tsunami that will pretty much wipe out the south west of the Uk (sorry An Gof), spain, portugal will be completely engulfed, and parts of Africa.

Wtf! Hey, this is starting to be no fun at all Tongue
Isn\'t there any safe place in the world or are we all fookid?

Take your time to answer. Time limit is 2012 Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user