Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reasons the Axis lost World War II
06-01-2005, 08:33 AM
RE: Reasons the Axis lost World War II
I got my hands on the AAR for Ta152 vs. Tempest report.

Quote:\"On April 14, 1945, two Hawker Tempests of 486 (New Zealand) Squadron took off from the Volkel airfield in Holland in order to attack the railway yards at Ludwigslust. As they initiated their low-level attack, three Ta 152s of Stab/JG 301 were scrambled against them from Neustadt-Glewe, five miles away. Within minutes, the German aircraft hurriedly fell upon the New Zealanders. Oberfeldwebel Sattler, flying in No. 3 position in the German formation, lost control over his new plane and crashed vertically into the ground. In the following dogfight at almost tree-top level, Sattler\'s comrade Oberfeldwebel Willi Reschke displayed the superior maneuverability of the Ta 152 by out-turning and shooting down the Tempest flown by Warrant Officer Mitchell, who had no chance to survive.\"

The only evidence there is in there is it saying the fight was at tree top level. This means that they were turning and burning. And anybody in a tempest doing this deserved to be shot down. It doesn\'t say anything great about the TA152.

(On a more personal note, the Tempests should have nosed up, hit WEP and gotten a little space before reengaging).

Also, the F8F was a hellofa plane that I only recently learned more about. It held the record of going from stopped to 20k feet that was only later beaten by the F16. It had incredible maneuverability (retaining the F6f form) but did not lose incredible amounts of E when maneuvering because of the powerful engine.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reasons the Axis lost World War II - The_Punisher - 06-01-2005 08:33 AM