Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reasons the Axis lost World War II
04-11-2005, 01:42 AM
RE: Reasons the Axis lost World War II
Pun, the B-17 was not particularly a good bomber, granted it was bristleing with defensive armament, that was a good thing, but compared to all other bombers in its class, especially the Lancaster and the B-29, it had a pittiful bomb load capacity.

Also I must correct you over P-80 service in WW2, they NEVER saw combat. The P-80 entered USAAF service in February 1945, by the end of WW2 only 45 had been delivered....

It is true they were sent to europe... but only 4 aircraft, 2 were sent to Italy and 2 were sent to England.... as a result of Major Fred Borsodi being killed due to engine fire when he demonstrated the P-80 to senior military staff when it arrived in England.... the P-80 was grounded and did not have this grounding lifted until after VE/VJ days

Also the Ta-152H.... could out-run any piston engined fighter the allies had. A test pilot was flying a prototype when he ran into an offensive patrol of P-51D\'s, he pulled a 180, engaged the MW-50 and the P-51\'s were just left standing.

The Me-262 had the capacity and the capability to decimate allied air superiority over Europe, however, Hitler demanded that the first production runs be dedicated to ground attack only, it was only when it was too late were they allowed to engage in air combat, and then they were woefully outnumbered.

Vips

p.s. try and query the P-80 thing all you like, I have 6 books that all say the same thing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reasons the Axis lost World War II - viper - 04-11-2005 01:42 AM