Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Pope dead.
04-03-2005, 05:44 AM
Pope dead.
Pope John Paul II died this evening, around 21.30. I don\'t want to sound too disrespectingly, but: finally. He had been - to use a euphemism - ill for quite some time.

Not that I\'m a believer or anything, but I hope for the Church\'s sake that the upcoming pope is a more progressive one. It\'s about the right time for a spring clean in the Vatican, and the whole Church for that matter.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2005, 06:02 AM
RE: Pope dead.
I think it has to be remembered that during his early years as the pope he bridged religions and did bring the catholic faith into the 20th centurary...

im not religious but he has been the most forward thinking and radical pope in years, they will be hard pressed to find a more forward thinking pope but i do agree reform is needed.

on a side note i am DISGUSTED by the reactions to this news I have seen from the computer gaming community as a whole...
I was on a DC server when the news broke and everyone was going \'haha\' \'cool\', absolutely no respect. 10 minutes later I was on the RO IRC channel and senior members of that community were acting the same way.... kinda says something about these communities.
04-03-2005, 06:06 AM
He is going to a better place. Indeed he was a very progessive pope.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-03-2005, 06:28 AM
im glad he\'s dead actually Undecided i mean, when he was younger, and when he could still *live* to a reasonable degree, he was a great pope, but as everest said, he had been ill for quite a while..

I hope the new pope wont be a bad choice

(no disrespect ment in this post)
04-03-2005, 07:26 AM
RE: RE: Pope dead.
viper Wrote:on a side note i am DISGUSTED by the reactions to this news I have seen from the computer gaming community as a whole...
I was on a DC server when the news broke and everyone was going \'haha\' \'cool\', absolutely no respect. 10 minutes later I was on the RO IRC channel and senior members of that community were acting the same way.... kinda says something about these communities.

I hardly think that reaction is limited to games communities. People of that age in general don\'t care for the pope or what he stood for. I must say I didn\'t really care either, he matters as much to me as any other person would. But I at least had enough respect not to laugh about it.
04-03-2005, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2005 09:41 AM by djs.)
RE: RE: RE: Pope dead.
[JR Wrote:]
viper Wrote:on a side note i am DISGUSTED by the reactions to this news I have seen from the computer gaming community as a whole...

I hardly think that reaction is limited to games communities. People of that age in general don\'t care for the pope or what he stood for. I must say I didn\'t really care either, he matters as much to me as any other person would. But I at least had enough respect not to laugh about it.

JR, do you expect anything less from a bunch of cyber dwelling adolescents? I really couldnt give two **** <insert 4 letter profanity here> what any server dwellings reactions are.. if Ia had stab the asshole in the face via interweb device I wouldn\'t be able to market it for having used my entire stock ;-)

Vips, The pope stood for quite a lot, if you look into it (which I wont go into now)

EDIT: Times where a lot different then, and sadly moral values have gone down the pan

He withstood both Nazi and Russian occupation (becoming a bishop under Stalin russia in Poland was almost a death sentance) It shook the vatican when he became pope - a polish peasant? I am not particlularly religious to any belief, but I admire that guy, and the death of one good man is a loss to us all. :-(
04-03-2005, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2005 10:31 AM by [JR].)
Surely the parts of your post aimed at me and vips are mixed up there djs Tongue

Allthough I do agree with you.
04-03-2005, 09:17 PM
RE: RE: Pope dead.
[color=red]
viper Wrote:I think it has to be remembered that during his early years as the pope he bridged religions and did bring the catholic faith into the 20th centurary...

im not religious but he has been the most forward thinking and radical pope in years, they will be hard pressed to find a more forward thinking pope but i do agree reform is needed.

on a side note i am DISGUSTED by the reactions to this news I have seen from the computer gaming community as a whole...
Oh please. What did you expect? Kids these days don\'t believe anymore. I went to a party yesterday evening, there was a guy with a megaphone and we made him proclaim that \"the pope is dead!\". Everyone had a good laugh about it Tongue

To me, people are free to laugh about it. You can\'t force people into making deeply personal reflections about this pope\'s death, because people just don\'t care. Nothing wrong with that in my book.
04-03-2005, 09:31 PM
he finally got to the guy upstairs, which he had hoped to do all his life.

i dont really know that much bout him, with the exception of the drooling..
but he was a good man, did great things.

teenagers dont realy know anything anymore bout the church n stuff, they just dont care!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2005, 08:39 PM
What, no negative ratings for mocking the pope yet? You people almost disappoint me Tongue