Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
What symbolises elegance?
03-22-2005, 02:57 AM
RE: What symbolises elegance?
elegance would be a clean SU 27 [Image: su-27.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2005, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2005 03:35 AM by [JR].)
Ok, serious post.

I have allways found Japanese calligraphy particularly striking, and definately elegant and gracefull.

[Image: calkatana.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
03-22-2005, 05:25 AM
[Image: Puch.jpg]

[Image: ah753267c.jpg]
03-22-2005, 05:30 AM
Now for the off-topic part:
Spunge, don\'t expect people to react positively if you always use that \"I couldn\'t be bothered less\" attitude. I don\'t know if its intended or not, but the fact you always include that and only that smiley in each of your posts, doesn\'t give you the sympathy edge... Sorry to put it like that.
03-22-2005, 05:47 AM
RE: RE: What symbolises elegance?
andius Wrote:But to me elegance is every where. It\'s the way the wind subtly moves a plant, its the look a lover gives to another, its anything thats so small you might miss it, but once noticed can make a world of difference.

I\'m gonna go with Andy, he described it just as I would have =)
03-22-2005, 06:06 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2005 06:08 AM by Jonathan.)
Jonathan Wrote:What item, person, action, plant, ... does in your opinion symbolise elegance.

As an example, i think the classic ballet or a swann symbolises elegance.

How about you...?

Ok, I think I really need some help in understanding what\'s so completely wrong about a such a post...

I\'m beginning to believe some people on these forums must really have too much time & a very very boring life that they waste it on trying to take it off topic and instead start a discussion over their personal preference of a certain fucking smiley, instead of actually contributing something useful that may help someone with the actual question at hand.

Now, most likely we\'ll get another series of perfect examples on how to waste your & other peoples time with useless bickering and taking the thread further off-topic.

SO PLEASE, DON'T.

Either try to come up with a simple and on-topic example or just stay away from this thread. The purpose of the thread is to find out what items, persons, activities, ... symbolise elegance.

W00p Wrote:Spunge, don\'t expect people to react positively if you always use that "I couldn\'t be bothered less" attitude. I don\'t know if its intended or not, but the fact you always include that and only that smiley in each of your posts, doesn\'t give you the sympathy edge... Sorry to put it like that.
I tend to take offense on things like this. I went through the trouble of manually going through all my posts on the forums and counting the number of times I\'ve used the :nag: or :roll: emoticons before... 2, in this post and of course for this topic\'s title. So excuse me if i just say the words What The Fuck???

I could go on to describe my thoughts & feelings about some of the people & their behaviour on these forums. But in the best interest of this therad I\'ll just refrain from it.

At least I can take some consolidation that there\'s still a few members that do care about not making total jerks of themselves.
03-22-2005, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2005 07:26 AM by [JR].)
Its such a shame your not one of them Sad

Learn to understand other peoples humour, and maybe one day you won\'t be such a bitter young man. If you expect a completely serious discussion on the nature of elegance and grace in a forum populated by teenage males, based on a WW2 shooting game, you have another thing coming.

Not to mention the thread was back on the tracks you wanted for it, before your little rant. It was you who has driven it off the rails this time.

Anyway, as far as an on topic post goes; I think Andius has summed it up best so far Big Grin
03-22-2005, 07:43 AM
First of all, as admin & starter of the thread I am in the position, no I have the duty, to make a comment when threads derail, when our moderators fail to.

This thread doesn\'t say, \"please make fun of me?\" \"Turn it into a joke?\" Or did you see that anywhere perhaps?

There\'s a question which is a request to give examples of items, animals, ... that radiate, express or equal a certain elegance.
Now, if you know you\'re not mature enough to participate or make a valid contribution to such thread, have the sense to stay out of it & put your energy into another thread on another subject.

Forums might be accessable to everyone, but there\'s still a set of rules & a general code/guideline of behaviour.
One that pops to mind here is often described as \"no trolling\".
Trying to hide or cover up your mistakes by using youngsters is not the way to go, at least not for an adult moderator...

So please do yourself and everyone else on the forums for that matter, a favour & don\'t post unless you have something on-topic & useful to contribute.

Now, I\'ve made my points and as already requested above, please don\'t take this any more off topic.

As a personal sidenote, I\'d like to add that not everyone is as easy going that they just let insults or attempts to make fun of them slide all the time.
The bottom line is, at least try to make an effort to be nice, and don\'t troll just because the internet or a forum somewhat enables you to.
03-22-2005, 08:07 AM
You seriously, seriously, need to chill out.
03-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Anyway, since I find some of the examples of elegance to be incorrect and falling into natural beauty, or even the little bits of life in general, I went to Dictionary.com and pulled this up.

1 a - Refinement, grace, and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners.

1 b - Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or presentation.

2 a - Restraint and grace of style.

2 b - Scientific exactness and precision.

3 - Something elegant. (Wow! A circular definition! How not elegant!)

And for fans of the wind there was always this.

SC