Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Terri Schiavo thing
03-21-2005, 09:25 AM
RE: The Terri Schiavo thing
Gah, why must I always bring the truth to the table?

Terry Schiavo is anything but a vegetable. Think of her more as a child. The chemical imbalance thing that happened caused a lot of brain damage. That doesn\'t mean that she just lies there and drools on herself. That also doesn\'t mean that she\'ll never get better. Just like a child, she needs to relearn how to do things. She\'ll never have the mental capacity of an Adult again.

Terry reacts to those around her. She moves around much like a child who hasn\'t been taught how to move. She is fed through a tube only because she has never learned how to eat. Doctors back in 1991 stipulated that she could easily learn how to eat. But Michael Schiavo (having just won all the insurance money) being the guardian of Terry did not let her recieve any therapy or teachings.

For roughly 12 years, Terry Schiavo hasn\'t recieved any teachings or therapy. Michael is fighting to kill her so he can keep the money. The family wants to become her guardian so that they can heal her.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
:con: wow, your like an even worse version of me.. i hate people, but i rarely try to make everyone seem like theyre just in it for the money..
03-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Look at it this way.

Michael Schiavo knew CPR. But he stood around not even making an attempt.

Michael Schiavo made millions of dollars from the Insurance company for taking care of Terry, but has barely spent a cent to her.

Michael Schiavo immediately fathered 2 children with another woman after Terry went into this state.

Michael Schiavo immediately moved in with the mother of his children.

This is not a right to live / right to die situation. It\'s the right to murder or not.
03-21-2005, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2005 06:53 PM by =D.C.L.I=Everest.)
Wow. I couldn\'t expect anything less from you than a reaction as far away as humanly possible from most of us (not that there\'s anything wrong with that in se), but I definitely didn\'t see anything coming like the nonsensical gibberish about the guy being in it for the money. You\'re actually saying he knew she\'d get irrepairable brain damage, and a hefty settlement for it? Come on! :con:

Edit: also, why would he kill his proverbial cash cow then? If what you\'re saying is true, he could\'ve kept on getting rich on her if he didn\'t try so hard to end her life. Any response to that?
03-21-2005, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2005 08:03 PM by The_Punisher.)
No. He already recieved money from her for her being DEAD.

But anyway, instead of addressing the problem or reading my second post, you attack me.

The real problem here is that people want to let someone who will get better just die because the husband doesn\'t want to try. All the shit about what he did, what he possibly could have done or what he will do takes a back seat to the fact that we are holding a human life in our hands.
03-21-2005, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2005 09:44 PM by =D.C.L.I=Everest.)
[/font][font=Courier][font=Impact]If you feel as if I attacked you, I apologise. I actually sort of praised you for having what most of us would consider out-of-the-way opinions. Too bad you missed that. Anyway, I definitely didn\'t mean any of what I said as a personal attack towards you, but what you said about the money struck me - and still does, pardon me saying again - nonsensical gibberish.

To me, the thing is: to what extent can a person that lives as a plant (persistent vegetative state) still be considered a human being? You say: someone who will get better... I doubt her condition changed much in all those years, lack of therapy/meditation or not.

If she was diagnosed with PVS 15 years ago, it would make sense for her husband to use his right as a guardian to end her - and not to forget his - misery, in order for him to be able to move on with his life. I bet the poor guy still asks himself everyday why she couldn\'t\'ve just died. Instead, he\'s been suffering the loss of his wife for 15 years.

No one could have predicted that she\'d become a vegetable. Well, I guess you might\'ve.
03-21-2005, 11:47 PM
Did you even bother to read what I wrote?
03-22-2005, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2005 12:58 AM by =D.C.L.I=Everest.)
I believe I did address the problem you suggested. But I\'ll try again.

The_Punisher Wrote:Michael Schiavo knew CPR. But he stood around not even making an attempt.
So you\'re saying he deliberately didn\'t help his wife...

The_Punisher Wrote:Michael Schiavo made millions of dollars from the Insurance company for taking care of Terry, but has barely spent a cent to her.
...secretly knowing that she\'d go braindead, and that he\'d strike millions worth of insurance money? Really? :con:

Or are you saying he tried to kill her to get the millions, but fate shit in his face by making her a plant? :con:

It has to be one of those according to you, otherwise the first argument is pointless. If I\'m still wrong, please help me out.

The_Punisher Wrote:Michael Schiavo immediately fathered 2 children with another woman after Terry went into this state.

Michael Schiavo immediately moved in with the mother of his children.
Define immediately. In a period of 15 years, 1 year might be immediate, yes. He knew his wife would never function the way she used to, I imagine he wanted to let go and live on at some point or other. But that right has been taken from him.

The_Punisher Wrote:This is not a right to live / right to die situation. It\'s the right to murder or not.
No, it\'s a right to let die or let suffer situation.

Bah, I hope we get this settled soon...
03-22-2005, 01:05 AM
I still don\'t see where your getting this from pun.

The parents illeagally produces a 4 hour video of her, to try to proove that she could still communicate. According to the article there are but a few seconds in the entire 4 hours where she appears to be responding. That does not make her seem like someone who is acting like a very young child. Even 3 month old babies will react to everything in some way. This is severe brain damage to the point where the woman barely knows what is going on around her.

You also insist that Michael is in it for the money, where the article states he is willing to give the lot to charity.

What are your sources? How do you justify your points? It\'s all very well having a difference of opinion, but be prepared to back it up.
03-22-2005, 04:16 AM
His sources are probably right-wing/republican. Then again, our sources might be left-wing/democrat... I hate how the issue became a political thing.