Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Which is in your opinion the better purchase?
03-19-2005, 09:40 AM
RE: RE: Which is in your opinion the better purchase?
Jognt Wrote:viper, if it says dedicated ram on the 9700, ill believe it has dedicated, otherwise it\'d say shared, and the 9700 is the best gfx chip there is for laptops Big Grin (well.. except for the newest one offcourse Tongue)

Mines a \'dedicated 9700\' and guess what, it uses the RAM Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2005, 03:53 PM
RE: Which is in your opinion the better purchase?
amd laptops overheat
go for the intel
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2005, 04:48 PM
While I don\'t care much for the x86 scene, I would go with the AMD. That is if you are \"working\" with the data then the 64 bit system would do you much better than a 32 bit one would.

But if you are just gonna watch the movies then go with the battery life.

SC
03-19-2005, 11:11 PM
viper, there is a HUGE difference between \"dedicated 9700\" which means it has a dedicated GFX CHIP, and \"9700 with Dedicated ram\" which means it has its own gDDR ram Wink

big-al, Intel CPU\'s nowadays are hotter than AMD\'s and both intel and AMD have pretty decent laptop chips Smile

and as SC said, if you\'re planning on using it for loads of processing tasks, and you will upgrade to a 64-bit OS in the future, then maybe a 64-bit CPU would be better, but you can also get the centrino, and upgrade it to an EMT64 enabled CPU in the future Smile
03-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Jonathan Wrote:So I do intend to "travel" with it, that\'s the whole point why I\'m purchasing a laptop, otherwise I could have just stayed with my desktop.
Ask yourself this: when - and if so, how much - will I ever travel for 2,5 hours without getting a chance to plug the power chord in?
03-19-2005, 11:38 PM
AMD one, that one has more battery life compared to the intel one, as it has a reasonable power saving mode that doesn\'t need cpu-cycle hungry software to work.

The AMD one has lower capacity batteries fitted i suspect
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
Answer these questions....

Are you going to be georeferencing maps?
Are you going to be working with very complex TIN\'s (poly meshes to the non-Geospatial Analyst)?
Are you going to be working on heavy file size images such as RAW or TIFF?

If the answer is yes to any of those questions, take the AMD.
03-20-2005, 12:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-20-2005 12:32 AM by Jognt.)
Crazy_Ivan Wrote:AMD one, that one has more battery life compared to the intel one, as it has a reasonable power saving mode that doesn\'t need cpu-cycle hungry software to work.

The AMD one has lower capacity batteries fitted i suspect

Quote:Acer TravelMate 4002 WLMi
LiOn Battery (estimated 5 hours battery life)

Acer Aspire 1524 WLMi
LiIon Battery (estimated 2.5 hours battery life)

the intel one has twice the battery life than the amd one o_O

Whats the pricing on these laptops? as it is now, id go for the centrino based laptop 100%, if its cheaper than the AMD based laptop, id go for the centrino based one 150% Smile

also, viper, he already said he was going to use it for some work and checking some movies Smile (now i dont know what kind of work he does.. but still Smile)
03-20-2005, 12:56 AM
The retail seller price is +- €1250 for both here in Belgium
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2005, 03:00 AM
Jognt Wrote:and as SC said, if you\'re planning on using it for loads of processing tasks, and you will upgrade to a 64-bit OS in the future, then maybe a 64-bit CPU would be better, but you can also get the centrino, and upgrade it to an EMT64 enabled CPU in the future Smile

Yes! Someone agreed with me!

Otherwise, Jognt, most laptops, not all - just the majority, the CPU is connected directly to the mobo, or maybe, just maybe, a daughter card, and are not in a socket or zif type deal.

SC