Quote this message in a reply
03-16-2005, 12:04 PM
RE: Germany had MINI NUKES in 1945.
Whoa. That\'s scary.
Find all posts by this user
03-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Also BS. The german scientists hated Hitler so much. They purposefully slowed down progress just to dick Hitler over.

For example (just remembering stuff off of the top of my head), had the scientists kept up the pace they were at in 1938, they would have been done around 1942. But at the pace they were at throughout the war, they would have been done in 47 or so.

Just recalling off of an article I read a few years ago.
03-16-2005, 04:24 PM
I remember seeing in a documentary that it was only one scientist, Werner Heisenberg, who sabotaged the nuc program. I just read on a couple of sites that Heisenberg’s post-war claim of sabotage might be a lie.

So the Norwegian resistance sinking a ferry carrying heavy water in Feb. 1944 might have been even more important than is usually thought.

Although, as the article stated: “It has also been pointed out that the United States employed thousands of scientists and invested billions of dollars in the Manhattan Project, while Germany\'s \"dirty bomb\" was allegedly the work of a few dozen top scientists who wanted to change the course of the war.”

Scary though that they came as close as they did.
03-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I saw this in the paper this morning.

Another thing is that when the British where debriefing the German scientists after the war, they only told Hitler that they could make an incredible bomb in order to get funding. They really wanted to make power systems. They had no interest in making weapons systems.

SC
03-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Yeah. Right. I would have said something like that too if I was on the losing team.
03-16-2005, 09:25 PM
The evidence is actually some high radioactivity including extreme concentrations of Cs-137 at each site. Which is a big marker that a nuke was detonated there due to the concentrations....

*background* Cs-137 is a non-natural element (Caesium 137) that is only created by a Nuclear reaction. Scientists using it for dating objects using the half life (50 years) of the element for anything thought to be less than 60 years old (Carbon dating is only effective if it is more than 150y old).
The last injection of Cs-137 into the atmosphere was from Chernobyl in the 80\'s, all other injections came from Nuclear tests.

Finally -
In 1942 the Germans had enough Heavy Water to create atleast 3 small Nukes, they did not produce any more heavy water during the war because in 1942, a joint Norwegian+British commando attack destroyed the Heavy Water Plant at Telemark, Norway.

Vips
03-16-2005, 09:39 PM
the water plant was repaired, but shut down soon after. The remaining heavy water was to be sent to Germany, but the same commando team + reinforcements (if I remember rightly) planted and detonated a bomb aboard the ferry bringing it to shore across the lake from the factory. The norwegian commandos lived all winter in a small hut on the Telemark mountain plateu, and famously had to resort to eating moss when the going got real tough. All very exiting! (TTR map idea, anyone?)
03-17-2005, 01:39 AM
whats so damn hard to believe they had \"dirty bombs\" before the US did?? Seems like some patriots don\'t like the fact they didn\'t get it first O_o
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-17-2005, 05:08 AM
ok think about it europe is like the size of texas, if u light off a nuke im prettyshure someone other than the scientists would of seen it, i mean come on man its a nuke not a stick of dyno.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user