Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Good books?
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Good books?
Since I\'m \"recycling\" my current book collection for the x\'th time (read some of my books already 5 times), I\'ve decided to expand my collection a bit with some good books.

Obvious question now is : What books would you (yes, the TTR community member) suggest?

Topics may range from WW2 (or WW1), to good thrillers, interesting science books like \"The Davinci Code\", or fun to read humoristic books like the Dilbert series.

Thx in advance!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2005, 06:48 PM
RE: Good books?
Calling The Da Vinci Code a \"science book\" might get u some steaming reactions both from the Jesus camp and ... well basically everyone. Don?t get me wrong, I think it?s a great thriller; not terribly well written, but intensely paced and with a super fascinating subject matter. But it is fiction, make no mistake about that.

I?ve been consuming books since my early teens so I don?t know where to start ... Satre or Stephen King? I?ve enjoyed both. I need some facts; how old are you and what are the five last good books you read?
Find all posts by this user
02-16-2005, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2005 08:35 PM by -=BYE=-RiptoR.)
Sorry for the description, was awake about 5 minutes Tongue
The Davinci Code indeed isn\'t really a science book, but you know what area of interest I\'m trying to say.

I\'m 23 (see HB thread Tongue), last five books were a Dilbert book, a couple of detectives/thrillers and a book about WW2.
02-17-2005, 04:00 AM
im a big fan of fantasy and find myself reading books from the forgotten relms/dragonlance/ravenloft/greyhawk, prettymuch nething released by TSR (or as people call em these days WotC, BHA!)
02-17-2005, 04:14 AM
I love the lord of the ring books, but I hate how Tolkien is not a good writer.
02-17-2005, 08:12 AM
I would recommend any Gaiman or Pratchett. Cool wierd stuff and cool funny stuff. Overall good stuff really.
02-17-2005, 08:35 AM
Stranger in a strange world by the Master. Make sure you get the uncut version. Starship Troopers is also quite good, and I am sure Pun would agree.

The Bachman Books - One book actually, with four stories in them. Good stories but the last pages of two of the stories are ambiguous and bite it. Still good none the less. Bachman was of course Steven Kings pen name when he wanted to be more experimental in his work. Running Man and The Long Road make it all worth while.

James Burke - Any of his science history books are great! Connections, or Day the Universe Changed. He also has a newer book about, hmmm, well that one is out on loan, and I haven\'t read it yet so I can say quite what it is about.

David Drake - I have only read the Hammers Slammers books. Good to read, but some of the mentions about his time in Vietnam are quite strong.

For shorter reads, maybe...

300 by Frank Miller. Any of Frankies Sin City books are pretty good too.

The Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

That\'s all I can think of, or see looking over my shoulder at some of my books.

SC
02-17-2005, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2005 08:40 AM by Sober.)
The Dune Chronicles by Frank Herbert- Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse: Dune - in that order

There are the the prequels to Dune or Legends of Dune by his son. They\'re canonity (word?) is arguable, but a good read if you\'re not one to catch all the small details the son got wrong with his father\'s work - generally an ok place to start off with the Duniverse.

If you\'re interested though, written by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson: House Atreides, House Harkonnen, House Corrino - written as a trilogy in that order. The Legends of Dune books are: The Butlerian Jihad, The Machine Crusade, The Battle of Corrin.

http://www.dunenovels.com Smile

I myself, haven\'t read any Asimov yet; any good?
02-17-2005, 10:19 AM
Heart of Darkness - Joeseph Conrad
Slaughter House 5 - Kurt Vonnigut
IT- Stephen King
Death Traps - I don\'t know the author, but its a ww2 book about tanks
02-17-2005, 12:16 PM