Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
KOTOR II...
02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
KOTOR II...
I have mixed feelings about this one. I just recently bought it and played through it.

Let me start off by saying that the engine is perfection. Imagine the first one\'s engine. Now add ultimate custimizability in everything imaginable.

Add onto that great graphics (even though it wasn\'t a large step up from the first) and you have something awesome to work off of.

But the details sucked. The main characters except two (out of 10) lacked detail. If you remember the first, all the characters had detailed detailed bios that you discovered via exploration and going throughout the worlds with them. Only one character had this kind of detail. Yet it still didn\'t match anything that any character had. The only other semi detailed character spilled everything all at once in one conversation.

Next, the plot line was very aggravating. At times it was so cool. At other times, I literally said out loud, \"What the fuck,\" at how stupid it was.

Next, even though the character detail was lacking, they implemented a reaction system. Based off of what you do or say, your party members will think better or worse of you. For example, I helped out a bum on the street by giving him 5 credits. One character thought this was great and I gained influence with them. Another argued with me that blindly helping these people weren\'t helping them at all. That this person was better off not getting anything and working hard to earn it. I disagreed with this. I lost influence from this character.

Now here\'s the problem with this. The character detail wasn\'t nearly as detailed as it should have been to take advantage of this. There are very few points where the influence affects anything at all.

Next, there is a lot of important plot events that are shown to you the player, but not to your character. This is very aggravating and should have been approached from a different direction. Sometimes you have to show these plot events that don\'t include my character, but most of the time make it so that I have to find out in one way or another.

Next, the worlds aren\'t connected at all. There aren\'t any real quests imbetween the planets. In the first, they had one or two quests that went to different places, but nothing significant. I was just hoping for the best.

The last thing I\'ll go into right here is that the big evil bad guys aren\'t shown in any detail at all or developed. One bad guy I knew nothing about, yet he was going to whipe a planet out which I had to stop. The other, I knew not much more about. What was bad that neither were as important to the actual game story as they should have been. The last one never really had any motives that were clear.

I give the setup a 10/10. Like I said before, the engine is perfect with the ability to upgrade damn near everything.

I give the follow through 5/10. It was quite dissappointing because we know what they could pull off. The story was aggravating at how it wasn\'t great. Nor was it pulled off ingame how I would have hoped it to be.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2005, 09:14 PM
RE: KOTOR II...
good review man, nice in depth without giving away too much :tup:
02-15-2005, 09:15 PM
yeah, interesting. keep it up!
02-15-2005, 10:53 PM
i liked the twist in KOTRI it was wicked, is there anything like this in number two?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-15-2005, 11:35 PM
There\'s a few twists. Nothing really breathtaking though.
02-16-2005, 03:22 AM
Oh! I forgot to mention Lightsaber forms. Along the trip, different people will teach you these forms that have their disadvantages and their advantages.

Like one gives you a +3 defense to everything, but a -3 against the target you are fighting. So if you are surrounded, nothing about the one you are fighting changes, but all those around you have trouble hitting you.

There\'s one form that rocks. I\'ll post my first spoiler. Get the second level Fury feat (+1 attack). Have two swords / sabers (2 attacks). Cast Master quickness power (+2 attacks). Then, one of the forms called Aggression gives you one more attack. This gives you 6 attacks per turn. Very devastating. But the weakness is you are majorly weakened against force powers.

Another problem with the game is that there are no real fight for my life type things. With the exception of one fight (not even one of the end fights), I was in no danger of losing. Even on easy for the first, there was multiple times where I had to stand my characters in a corner for 15 minutes while they regenerated so I wouldn\'t burn the necessary healing packs that i\'d need during battle.
03-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Just finished the game, I am really impressed by it. I am not that big star wars fan and sometimes i had no idea about what they were talking about.. but altho it was a really good rpg and i almost loved it as much as i loved Neverwinter Nights.

Btw, pretty good review punisher.

Wesker
03-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I can admit that I\'ve been drawn back to it again and again.

Al, I think I figured out how to get access to the Droid Factory.
03-17-2005, 05:15 AM
eh only sellouts buy and play new games! give me a 24 of bud and my doomII and im happy for the night........ Tongue