Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
Okey, another shocking news that sounds like a hoax:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/...85,00.html

Quote:Kim Jong-Hwan, the director of the ITRC-Intelligent Robot Research Centre, has developed a series of artificial chromosomes that, he says, will allow robots to feel lusty, and could eventually lead to them reproducing. He says the software, which will be installed in a robot within the next three months, will give the machines the ability to feel, reason and desire.

Ok, so that Joang-Hwan guy looks like a respectable scientist. We can guess that this isn\'t a hoax, anyway it looks like someone is hyping this a bit.

But, well, let\'s think that this is for real, and, as usually happens, this will start an exponential curve that will make pretty usual to have a desktop computer or robot that \"feels\" late in our lifes.

Who the hell wants that????
And most important:
What\'s the point???

Computers and anything related must be tools to help us increase our efficiency at work, or do tasks impossible for a human beign, etc.
Ok, even I can admmit robots with \"feeling emulators\" that you can turn on or off if you want to chatter a bit with a machine. Who knows, maybe that\'s the next wave in the future. Forget about SMS messages or the internet, talk with a robot.

But well, this isn\'t about creating a tool, nor a feelings emulator piece of junk. It\'s about creating some kind of new artificial beign, that will possibly love, think, hate... And it will be created for no reason IMO. Just because \"we can\", I guess.

I\'m not precisely a guy that hates scitific advance, all the contrary. But in this particular case, well, I just don\'t get the point. It won\'t cure any disease, nor help social advance, nor anything.

In short, I don\'t want to see me in a possible future trying to insert my USB stick in my desktop computer and not being able to do it because my computer \"has a headache\" again :roll:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2005, 02:21 AM
RE: Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
Headlines sometime in the future :
\"Car dragged passanger to his death due to lovesickness towards a Train. Car barely survived the encounter and has developed a chronic heartache. Passenger died instantly from Trains refusal to stop and hear Car ask for her wheels in marriage. Passenger was human.\"

Yeah. A bit much.
02-04-2005, 02:27 AM
W00t, there might be a Blade Runner future for me yet! I wanna retire those lovesick bastiges! (hope they all look like Rutger Hauer/Smitty\'s old avatar!)
Find all posts by this user
02-04-2005, 02:29 AM
The problem is that the programming can only be as good as action response. The programming can\'t act on it\'s own accord. It can only do what the programmer tells it to. Or how the programmer tells it to react.
02-04-2005, 02:32 AM
the human body is the holy grail, its the most complex machine and mechanism we know of.. its not so much about wat can we gain from it, its more about finding that holy grail and conquering it.. but i for one will never put that to practical use in my home thank you very much
02-04-2005, 02:43 AM
We\'re gonna need the three laws.
02-04-2005, 02:44 AM
@Pun: Yes, that\'s what actual logic dictates. But reading that stuff it seems to imply that this is the first time where robot engineering can jump over that old problem. I guess that if this wasn\'t the case there would be no news here. Coding feelings emulators are achievable, but that guy isn\'t talking about emulating, but about some level of autonomous decision making (reasoning) and feeling creation (love, hate, lust).
02-04-2005, 02:59 AM
No, you can\'t get past the fact that computers run on programs. Until you find a way around this, computers will never have a consciousness.
02-04-2005, 03:00 AM
RE: RE: Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
The_Punisher Wrote:The problem is that the programming can only be as good as action response. The programming can\'t act on it\'s own accord. It can only do what the programmer tells it to. Or how the programmer tells it to react.

usualy in theory thats correct, but recently some guy pretty much made a brain in a petri dish, took a few bain cells and rebuilt some synapsis electronicaly (i dunno the exact details) they then hooked it up to a flight simulator directly and it learnt how to adapt and fly the plane. Hook it up to any machine and we have an artificaly intelligent machine
02-04-2005, 05:03 AM
That\'d be stupid to give machines feelings. You then can\'t sell your car.

\"Car, I\'m selling you\"
\"You don\'t love me anymore!\"

Drives itself w/ driver off cliff.