Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 2.33 Average
What is the last thing(s) you bought?
05-22-2010, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2010 08:29 PM by Smithcraft.)
RE: What is the last thing(s) you bought?
Something you find out when you decide to add everymovie you just about can when you set up a HTcomputer, is that you will need storage.

I figured I\'d start with a WD MyBook, which was nice enough to come with Firewire and USB2, and at Costco I picked up three 1TB models over a few months, for a nice price.

Then came the realization that 3TB(or 2.6TB formatted) just isn\'t enough. So, then the search for something I could load with drives, and hook up via Firewire to my system was started. If I wanted RAID and USB, my life would be easy. However, I seem to never do things the easy way! Wink

I looked at [URL=\"http://www.drobo.com/\"]Drobo[/URL] but I wasn\'t sure about them, and their support forums are only viewable if you have purchased one. Also, after asking around, I found out many people thought that they were too loud for HTcomputer use. So I kept looking, and I found plenty of items that I almost wanted.

Finally I found the [URL=\"http://www.caloptic.com/store/\"]CalOptic[/URL] site, and they have a 8 PATA drive enclosure that I was looking at, and it comes with PATA to SATA adapters. I ended up waiting, and waiting, and waiting and then they came out with a four SATA drive FireWire JBoD case! Oh the joy!

Then I saw the price, and figured I\'d wait till the tax return came in.

In the mean time, Frys, wonderful people that they are, had Hitachi 2TB hard drives on sale twice, and I picked up four of them! Big Grin They format out to around 1.82TB, so I\'m looking at 7.28TB of storage!

So, now I\'m copying over files from the MyBooks to the qBOX. Then I\'ll have to re-scrape my [URL=\"http://www.plexapp.com/\"]Plex[/URL] libraries. I expect to be transferring files through out the weekend... :???:

[Image: 1_P1010015.jpg]

[Image: 1_P1010018.JPG]

[Image: 1_P1010020.JPG]

[Image: 1_P1010021.JPG]

[Image: 1_P1010023.JPG]

[Image: 1_P1010024.JPG]

SC
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
damn thats a lot of space.

last noteworthy thing i purchased was a ticket to see sear bliss + Hymir
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2010, 03:23 PM
that thing is cool, how much did it cost all together?
05-30-2010, 03:24 PM
RE: RE: What is the last thing(s) you bought?
tomcat ha Wrote:damn thats a lot of space.

last noteworthy thing i purchased was a ticket to see sear bliss + Hymir

oh sear bliss is a Hungarian band isn\'t it?

I \"might\" have seen them Smile
05-30-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah they are hungarian
05-31-2010, 04:33 AM
be sure to shout out \"Buzmeg\" Big Grin
05-31-2010, 07:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2010 08:01 AM by Smithcraft.)
Big-Al Wrote:that thing is cool, how much did it cost all together?
Well, I picked up the drives on sale over about four weeks. Due to price matching and low price guarantees the drives were USD $109 each, and the case was just under USD $300. If I would have been happy with USB2, I could have used a cheaper case. Plus I didn\'t want RAID which further limited my options for a case. The case isn\'t advertised as FW400/800, so I picked up a FW400 <-> FW800 cable from monoprice, but the bridgeboards in the case had FW400 so I could have just used any of my FW400 cables, and the short jumper FW800 cable to jump link the two bridgeboards.

The drive that has the catalog of DVD/HD rips is almost full, but the drive with the transcoded movie files has space to spare, the teevee and random vid drive has plenty of space. The last drive is still not even named, but I think it will be the second movie drive.

The file transferring took all weekend and into Monday...

SC
Find all posts by this user
05-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Big-Al Wrote:be sure to shout out "Buzmeg" Big Grin

too late, i already have seen them :B