Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
02-01-2005, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2005 10:37 AM by isoFlux.)
RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
http://mc1soft.com/linux/

that guy has a lot of good stuff on the website.

however......
Tongue
desktop/graphical programs running WORSE than on win32 systems? bullshit. i have a dualboot system WinXP and Slackware 10 (Gnome).

i have more problems and more application crashes on WinXP in a week than i do in a month on Linux (and i use linux about 80% of the time.)
and another very important difference: when a linux program takes a dump, its usually very simple and fast to kill it and restart the app. none of that ctrl-alt-del -> end task x5, then the mouse laggs, you can\'t use other applications, then after 2 minutes it decides to close the application.
with linux you just jump into console, type \"killall firefox\" or whatever program that is taking a dump, and poof! then just restart it and you\'re fine.

yes, Gnome and KDE are a tad slower than WinXP. not laggier, but things take a little more time to accomplish (starting your browser, opening your filebrowser). but it soon becomes unnoticable and perfeclty fine.

a switch to linux isn\'t like going from Win95 to WinXP. it is usually a long, rough process that involves a lot of learning, and requires an open mind and the will to understand what is going on. be ready to get your hands dirty in console (which isnt as hard as most people think), and don\'t be intimidated by arcane error messages.

http://linuxquestions.org is one of the greatest resources for linux help. unlike MS tech support, you dont sit on hold for 1 1/2 hours listening to muzak and ads, then be forwarded to a guy in India that can hardly speak english and has no idea what hes talking about. there are thousands of knowledable, helpful people who are more than happy to help new users out Smile

if possible, do it on another computer before doing your main one, and back up EVERYTHING Tongue Smile doing a test-run is a very good idea. in any case, just to be safe, set aside at least an entire day, maybe a weekend, to install linux, and make sure you dont have any important papers or anything due for the next week Tongue its better to be safe than sorry.

anyways, Linux is my prefferred OS for many reasons, and once you get into it, it may fit you like a glove, or you may hate it. it all depends on the user (i like a diy-hands-on, low-level OS, so i prefer Slackware). just be open Smile

people trash Mac\'s all the time, and usually for silly reasons.

Macs and Win32 PCs are two different platforms for two different kinds of people. one is only better than the other in the context of applications. if you are an artist, working a lot in Photoshop, or doing heavyduty modeling, or working on movies, etc, Mac is your platform. Anything else, Win32-PC is your platform. it all depends on what you use it for. i have nothing against Macs, and i dont have one just because the stuff i do doesnt require a Mac, and its a lot of money that i won\'t take advantage of.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates - isoFlux - 02-01-2005 10:32 AM