Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
01-28-2005, 06:34 AM
RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
IntRed Wrote:just found out uni students can get MS software for free Big Grin

yeah my uni give codes away free Tongue

isoFlux Wrote:http://gentoo.org

gentoo rocks :tup:

but of course none of this bothers me being an apple user

shift Wrote:Well... erm... how was the Linux status right now for a multimedia pro user?

you should be using a mac Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-28-2005, 07:35 AM
RE: RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
SoulSurfer Wrote:you should be using a mac Tongue
:rofl:

No, really, I meant something to step forward, not backward Tongue

So, what do you think about Mandrakelinux for a n00b? I\'m planning to give it a try in my slave HD.

And, yes, iso, I\'m already using about 90% open source software in my winpc. In fact you only need to pay (or not) just for a couple programs, the rest can be substituted by free stuff.
01-28-2005, 07:54 AM
RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
xandros OS is the way to go if yer coming straight from windoze to linux.
01-28-2005, 08:45 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2005 08:47 AM by joeb.)
how about linspire? works quite neat as well.

edit. Oooh, xandros is optimized for windows compatibility, cool Smile
Find all posts by this user
01-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Anybody use lindows...

What are compatablity issues with other OS\'s and runnign games?
01-28-2005, 12:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2005 12:54 PM by isoFlux.)
i dont reccomend Linspire or Xandros for an intro to linux.

why? they seem to be geared towards windows users, and say that many Win32 programs run on their OS?

because you have to pay for it. last time i checked, Linspire is $90 (USD).

plus, all these \"windows/linux combos\" are the linux kernel, x.org, and a few perks that mean nothing. i would recomend Red Hat Fedora for its ease of installation and verbose use of \"wizards\". RH9.0 is the linux distro that i learned on and it was great. OpenOffice.org provides an improved clone of MS Office, wine allows win32 programs to run reasonable smoothly, and the interface (KDE or gnome) can be configured to be just like a Mac, XP, or anything else. if you want to use Linspire or xandros later on, go for it, but you can download and install Fedora completly free and no-hassle.

and no matter what those distributions say, they cant run windows programs nativley or seemlessly. its a UNIX-based OS, and win32 binaries do NOT run unless extremely heavy modifications are made to the kernel.

game compatabilities are limited on Linux. few games run nativley, but when they do, they run better than windows systems (assuming you have a GeForce. if you have an ATI and wish to game, good luck Wink ). UT-family games run very well, and i guess Torque does also. Neverwinter Nights is another good game on Linux. thats about all i play, and i dont know of any other engines that run nativly on linux.
01-28-2005, 12:55 PM
Hmm.... if I was a pirater (which I definitely not), I\'d be pissed until someone found a way around this.

Looking at an honest customer\'s point of view, great idea. I have an OEM XP. Better not bother me.

Besides, MS finally has a reason for security flaws! You pirate it, you\'ll get backstabbed as bad.
01-28-2005, 01:08 PM
Hehe, good point. What are they going to go to the police with, Microsoft hacked my pirated copy of windows?
01-28-2005, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2005 08:08 PM by LivingTarget.)
It\'s worth to point out that UT to UT2004 can be installed out of the windows box on linux. You\'ll need an installer for UT99, but heck I loved that!

It must be (about) the best game you can get on Linux, I mean you get all those mods with it as well. Enough to please the penguin.

About windows update, kinda annoying but heck i\'m sure there\'ll be some offline installers
01-29-2005, 12:40 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
shift Wrote:No, really, I meant something to step forward, not backward Tongue

:lies::wall::wacko::wtf: