Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
01-29-2005, 01:30 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
[deep_breath]

=D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD Wrote::lies::wall::wacko::wtf:
my computer path so far:
mac < winpc < linpc (?)
Mac is a step back for me Smile

LivingViciously Wrote:About windows update, kinda annoying but heck i\'m sure there\'ll be some offline installers
Some groups have just stated that they\'ll keep offering non-official versions of the Microsoft\'s patches. So, yes, there will be an underground supply for the users of illegal Windows.

1st Sgt. Burke Wrote:What are compatablity issues with other OS\'s and runnign games?
I think this site will be helpful for you:
http://linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

Also the Wine application database:
http://appdb.winehq.org/

Jonathan Wrote:xandros OS is the way to go if yer coming straight from windoze to linux.

Xandros looks really sexy, idd. All the reviews are extremely positive about that... erm.. \"distro\". I was about to purchase it, but isoFlux warnings made me stop. Anyway, I think that I won\'t go Fedora. I\'ll stick to my initial Mandrake idea.

Potential interesting links:
I\'ve been doing a bit homework looking for info about linux, especially in my particular case: windows user wanting to have a look at the linux world.

I\'ve found especially interesting this guide:
http://mc1soft.com/linux/ - this guy talks definitely my language (but I feel that isoFlux won\'t agree too much with that guy Wink).

Also helpful are the Tom\'s Hardware guides: Part 1 and Part 2.

Some interesting reviews on some of the \"former windows user friendly distros\" out there:

Mandrake 10 (actual version is 10.1): http://www.madpenguin.org/Article1040.html - FREE

Xandros Desktop OS 3 Deluxe Edition: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,15...495,00.asp - NOT FREE

Fedora Core 3: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/5670/1/ - FREE

Linspire 4.5 (formerly Lindows): http://www.neolinkcomputers.com/linux/linspire_4.5.html - NOT FREE

Anyway, the ammount of linux distributions is just overwhelming, making really difficult to decide which one is \"your\" distro. As some people say lately: too much information just enhaces opacity.

[/deep_breath]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2005, 06:59 AM
RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
Not a concern of mine, within a short time I\'ll have my own pro license. I\'m working in a computer store now, so I have access to that Smile
01-29-2005, 07:07 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
shift Wrote:
SoulSurfer Wrote:you should be using a mac Tongue
:rofl:

No, really, I meant something to step forward, not backward Tongue
thats an insult to a dual processor G5 (which IMO is the only good apple at the moment)
Find all posts by this user
01-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Well, tell him to join this forums and rep me down then Tongue

Jokes aside, Jonathan came with another interesting distro: ubuntu.

Looks really nice, tbh.
01-29-2005, 10:13 AM
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
shift Wrote:[deep_breath]

=D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD Wrote::lies::wall::wacko::wtf:
my computer path so far:
mac < winpc < linpc (?)
Mac is a step back for me Smile

everyone is entitled to there opinions if you can back them up with real evidence, if you can show your reasons (apart from games, hear it every time, not bothered anymore i got my World of Warcraft i dont care about other games) where macs are in any way inferior to winpc\'s or Linuxpc\'s then i will leave you alone. Oh and price? look at the mini mac Tongue

Thats me a dual G5 owner, signing off, remember...
[Image: macpanthers.jpg]

p.s. flame me if you want PC guys Tongue but i just dislike it when mac\'s are always dismissed as inferior
01-31-2005, 07:23 AM
It\'s kind of like some stereotypes Soul. Macs are made fun of because the suck, not just because we can.
02-01-2005, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2005 10:37 AM by isoFlux.)
http://mc1soft.com/linux/

that guy has a lot of good stuff on the website.

however......
Tongue
desktop/graphical programs running WORSE than on win32 systems? bullshit. i have a dualboot system WinXP and Slackware 10 (Gnome).

i have more problems and more application crashes on WinXP in a week than i do in a month on Linux (and i use linux about 80% of the time.)
and another very important difference: when a linux program takes a dump, its usually very simple and fast to kill it and restart the app. none of that ctrl-alt-del -> end task x5, then the mouse laggs, you can\'t use other applications, then after 2 minutes it decides to close the application.
with linux you just jump into console, type \"killall firefox\" or whatever program that is taking a dump, and poof! then just restart it and you\'re fine.

yes, Gnome and KDE are a tad slower than WinXP. not laggier, but things take a little more time to accomplish (starting your browser, opening your filebrowser). but it soon becomes unnoticable and perfeclty fine.

a switch to linux isn\'t like going from Win95 to WinXP. it is usually a long, rough process that involves a lot of learning, and requires an open mind and the will to understand what is going on. be ready to get your hands dirty in console (which isnt as hard as most people think), and don\'t be intimidated by arcane error messages.

http://linuxquestions.org is one of the greatest resources for linux help. unlike MS tech support, you dont sit on hold for 1 1/2 hours listening to muzak and ads, then be forwarded to a guy in India that can hardly speak english and has no idea what hes talking about. there are thousands of knowledable, helpful people who are more than happy to help new users out Smile

if possible, do it on another computer before doing your main one, and back up EVERYTHING Tongue Smile doing a test-run is a very good idea. in any case, just to be safe, set aside at least an entire day, maybe a weekend, to install linux, and make sure you dont have any important papers or anything due for the next week Tongue its better to be safe than sorry.

anyways, Linux is my prefferred OS for many reasons, and once you get into it, it may fit you like a glove, or you may hate it. it all depends on the user (i like a diy-hands-on, low-level OS, so i prefer Slackware). just be open Smile

people trash Mac\'s all the time, and usually for silly reasons.

Macs and Win32 PCs are two different platforms for two different kinds of people. one is only better than the other in the context of applications. if you are an artist, working a lot in Photoshop, or doing heavyduty modeling, or working on movies, etc, Mac is your platform. Anything else, Win32-PC is your platform. it all depends on what you use it for. i have nothing against Macs, and i dont have one just because the stuff i do doesnt require a Mac, and its a lot of money that i won\'t take advantage of.
02-01-2005, 08:57 PM
RE: RE: Microsoft: Legit Windows or no updates
isoFlux Wrote:http://mc1soft.com/linux/

that guy has a lot of good stuff on the website.

however......
Tongue

I knew you\'d love it Tongue

Well, I spent all the weekend installing and set-up (ing?) a couple linux distros on my 2nd HD: Mandrake and Ubuntu.

I had problems installing Ubuntu because of GRUB, it seems to be a bug to SATA/ATA configs like mine. So after 3 reinstalls and a bit of reading I just left Ubuntu for the next April\'s release, where I hope this will be fixed.

So I installed Mandrake. After a couple reinstalls (I have an ATI card, so you can figure Big Grin) I managed to make it work properly. Sadly my old adsl modem isn\'t supported and I had to download an obscure non official driver that I had to compile (heh, good welcome for a first time user Big Grin) but failed to make it work (anyway, no surprise there, almost 90% of people trying to use those drivers failed, it\'s a crappy modem anyway).

So, well, I\'m in the process of changing my actual adsl connection for a new company that offers a wifi adsl router for free (crappy too, but linux friendly). That means that I won\'t touch Mandrake again until I have that stuff.

Once I have my net connection running on Mandrake I\'ll need to install drivers for my Wacom tablet, 2nd ethernet built-in card, built-in sound card, and video card. It promises to be anything but a boring process Tongue Fortunatelly a guy with my same mobo posted an excellent step by step guide to have most of that stuff running.

I can\'t say almost anything about linux by now. The most obvious is that the lack of driver support in some stuff and compatibility with new hardware setups can make the (usually) quite easy install a pain when something fails. So, when this happens, having to mess with the command line thing for starters can be quite overwhelming for most new people.

The other surprising thing was the long wait for an application to start, as you and the guy at that url already said. Sure the application can be restarted really easily if it hangs, but that initial wait gives you a bad impression for a new user. It really looks like linux is really slower than windows (remember that I\'m talking about perception from a new user, that doesn\'t mean that it\'s *really* slower).

Quote:a switch to linux isn\'t like going from Win95 to WinXP

True, it\'s not like that.
It\'s more like a switch from a Mac to a WinPC.

The feelings (and level of frustration) I\'m having in my first steps in linux are being really similar to the times where I switched from Mac (being that the platform where I grow up in computers, that means for years) to a Windows98 PC.

Anyway, as I said, I like to go forward, and linux is a nice challenge. High enough from a window\'s user perspective but possible, with a bit of time and effort. I\'ve always been quite curious about the linux world, I think it\'s a really interesting project, and sooner or later I wanted to try it, at least. I don\'t know if I\'ll use linux at 80%, 50%, 30% or if I\'ll just give up, but I think it\'s worth a try.

And about macs. Most of us already know each other, our likes and dislikes, at least that\'s what I think, and my initial comment, the Pandora\'s box Smile, was a \"reference joke\". I\'m sure that TJ catch it, for example, and probably many others. You like macs? Use them. You don\'t? Don\'t use them. But that doesn\'t mean that you can\'t joke about it, IMHO Smile