Poll:
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reputation feature
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2005 01:02 AM by ElvenKind.)
RE: RE: Reputation feature
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:I see the rating thing as just a way to tell someone that you (don\'t) like a post they made. Isn\'t that what it\'s for? Comments on those posts I vote on will follow in a post, not in a sneakily commented personal attack.
1. When someone gets a rating comment they do not know who it came from, meaning that it could come from someone other than the one who posts below them.
2. When the comment field in a rating comment is empty or a bit \"general\" it\'s hard to know what you did wrong as there isn\'t always a comment that say spesifically what they reacted to. \"Didn\'t like your post\" is quite foggy at best.
3. \"Follow on in a post\", how do you know the next post will be yours? What if someone else posted before you. Should the person who received the negative comment always think it\'s the next poster?

Sorry about a short post, but I haven\'t really got time to elaborate right now Big Grin Nothing personal Evert. Just trying to clear up whats being said so it\'s put in a simple, easy to read/understand way. Not too sure I did that, but that was the plan Big Grin

EDIT : Nothing better than that, Turbo. Hat off to you! :tup:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2005, 01:13 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2005 01:14 AM by =D.C.L.I=TuRb0jUg3nD.)
RE: Reputation feature
No, I mean that the negative gradings I\'ve received have come signed and with an explanation. Hats off to them.
Find all posts by this user
01-29-2005, 01:24 AM
I know I\'m not necessarily the next person in line for a post, but I try to make it clear I (dis)agree with the one I sent a good/bad rating to in my post following theirs. Check my posts, it\'s how I (try to) work.

I\'ve only had 1 or 2 comments with a suiting explanation, but I don\'t get why people would elaborate on something that they might as well share with all the rest, in the interest of stimulating the discussion Smile
01-29-2005, 09:51 AM
I think that another problem is that you see someone with a rep indicator that is negative, like Big Al, or super positive like Turbs, you have no way of finding out why that is.

If I look at Al\'s profile it doesn\'t say anything about his reputation, and why it is negative. If I look at Turbs profile, it doesn\'t say anything about why he has a double green.

While I have been around since the BUF days, and know most all the posters here, if I were new to the mod and the forums I wouldn\'t know why a nice guy like Big Al has a negative rep. Did he type something horrible to humanity? Is he a dill? What?

Or what I am trying to say is, if you are gonna have a post feedback system, maybe it should be more like eBay, and be readable by all. Then people could see what is going on(since we have had some private little wars between some people here), and make a better, and informed choice as to what they think about people.

SC
01-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Smithcraft Wrote:I think that another problem is that you see someone with a rep indicator that is negative, like Big Al, or super positive like Turbs, you have no way of finding out why that is.

If I look at Al\'s profile it doesn\'t say anything about his reputation, and why it is negative. If I look at Turbs profile, it doesn\'t say anything about why he has a double green.

While I have been around since the BUF days, and know most all the posters here, if I were new to the mod and the forums I wouldn\'t know why a nice guy like Big Al has a negative rep. Did he type something horrible to humanity? Is he a dill? What?

Or what I am trying to say is, if you are gonna have a post feedback system, maybe it should be more like eBay, and be readable by all. Then people could see what is going on(since we have had some private little wars between some people here), and make a better, and informed choice as to what they think about people.

SC
that almost sounds like a compliment...

maybe the votes should be shown publicaly?
:\\
01-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Smithcraft Wrote:I think that another problem is that you see someone with a rep indicator that is negative, like Big Al, or super positive like Turbs, you have no way of finding out why that is.

SC
:agree:
01-30-2005, 12:16 AM
Well, at least on a persons profile page.

I just figured out how to find my rep, and am surprised to see 3 positive votes! Two commented, and one uncommented. Amazingly, while appreciated, they mostly mean nothing to me. Personally, I don\'t even expect anyone to even use the system in a few months. It just makes reading the forums too much like work. And that will take all the joy out of it.

SC
01-30-2005, 07:19 AM
wow, I just got another bad vote because someone disagreed with me and didn\'t leave a reason. Terrific. I was at zero, now I\'m at -5 with 1 bad vote. How does this thing work?
01-30-2005, 08:42 AM
And I bet, that other than my giving you 5 positives, there is no way that you can get that changed.

Which again, I think proves my point that the reputation votes should show who made them. It\'s not like you need to be anonymous about it. If you can\'t stand up for it, then don\'t do it!

And for Big Al, yes, that was a compliment!

SC
01-30-2005, 10:19 PM
i agree with smithcraft.