Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
02-04-2005, 01:45 AM
Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that???
Okey, another shocking news that sounds like a hoax:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/...85,00.html

Quote:Kim Jong-Hwan, the director of the ITRC-Intelligent Robot Research Centre, has developed a series of artificial chromosomes that, he says, will allow robots to feel lusty, and could eventually lead to them reproducing. He says the software, which will be installed in a robot within the next three months, will give the machines the ability to feel, reason and desire.

Ok, so that Joang-Hwan guy looks like a respectable scientist. We can guess that this isn\'t a hoax, anyway it looks like someone is hyping this a bit.

But, well, let\'s think that this is for real, and, as usually happens, this will start an exponential curve that will make pretty usual to have a desktop computer or robot that \"feels\" late in our lifes.

Who the hell wants that????
And most important:
What\'s the point???

Computers and anything related must be tools to help us increase our efficiency at work, or do tasks impossible for a human beign, etc.
Ok, even I can admmit robots with \"feeling emulators\" that you can turn on or off if you want to chatter a bit with a machine. Who knows, maybe that\'s the next wave in the future. Forget about SMS messages or the internet, talk with a robot.

But well, this isn\'t about creating a tool, nor a feelings emulator piece of junk. It\'s about creating some kind of new artificial beign, that will possibly love, think, hate... And it will be created for no reason IMO. Just because \"we can\", I guess.

I\'m not precisely a guy that hates scitific advance, all the contrary. But in this particular case, well, I just don\'t get the point. It won\'t cure any disease, nor help social advance, nor anything.

In short, I don\'t want to see me in a possible future trying to insert my USB stick in my desktop computer and not being able to do it because my computer \"has a headache\" again :roll:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Robots with \"feelings\"... who the hell wants that??? - shift - 02-04-2005 01:45 AM