Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Third Reich: Classic
09-16-2011, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2011 01:36 PM by Reno.)
The Third Reich: Classic
[Image: splashclassic-1.jpg]

Initially, I\'d hoped to get this announced sooner, and get some content posted with it, but a few remaining bugs stopped me from getting it together in a timely manner.
Having said that, I\'d like to let everyone know about TTR: Classic.

What is it?
Simply put, it\'s going to be a remastered version of the original TTR. Most of the old content will be directly ported into Torque, and anything absolutely requiring polish will get some TLC to bring everything up to bar. Think in similar terms of HL1 being updated to HL: Source.

In specific terms, many problems that plagued the original TTR due to engine limitations, such as collisions will be properly resolved. The maps will be worked over and tweaked so they all carry a fairly similar level of quality and detailing, and elements that were slated to be included, such as bug fixes and minor gameplay tweaks will be integrated.

Once it becomes more solid, I\'ll follow with a changelog/update list indicating differences between the original and Classic.

I\'d also like to let you all know that TTR Arena will be directly integrated into the game and expanded.

Why\'s this being done?
The new TTR game, that I\'ve been chugging on has been a bit of amorphous creature. Fixes, features, and additions being made to a broad spectrum of areas, from the engine to gameplay, levels to art. Given what the project was going to be, it\'s taking a fair bit of time to assemble, all the more so given the fact that other than occasional contributions, it\'s been a solo job. Its progressing, but it\'s still a ways out yet.

Given it\'s unstructured nature, I decided that it would be a good opportunity to take the existing work, and paring down to match the original TTR gameplay, and get a working rendition of the original, which comparitively, is a smaller product. It makes for a good point of consolidation, a more solid foundation, and a good way to keep things in scope of how TTR was, and will be, even as it expands and updates.
Quickly, this expanded to the point where if I was going to produce TTR99, but in the Torque engine, it\'d make sense to properly migrate it, and give it to you guys.
This gives you something to play, and can more directly contribute to the development of TTR going forward.

As things get closer, I\'ll do a suggestions pass at any minor grievances and bugs that people are aware of, and like to see tweaked/fixed, but feel free to busy up the Ideas and Suggestions board in the meantime.

Feel free to comment, and let me know what you think. Any suggestions for tweaks or improvements on Classic itself should be done in the Ideas and Suggestions section.

Thanks,

-Reno
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Third Reich: Classic - Reno - 09-16-2011 01:34 PM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - Smithcraft - 09-16-2011, 06:06 PM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - Reno - 09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - Smithcraft - 09-17-2011, 05:33 AM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - AN GOF. - 09-17-2011, 05:44 AM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - Reno - 09-17-2011, 06:51 AM
RE: The Third Reich: Classic - Smithcraft - 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM