[ghc]Games Forums
so I started making a map - Printable Version

+- [ghc]Games Forums (http://forums.ghc-games.com)
+-- Forum: TTR General Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: so I started making a map (/showthread.php?tid=841)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: so I started making a map - sono - 05-26-2006 08:17 PM

Yeah congrats on the map so far mate, looks pretty cool Big Grin

RE: so I started making a map - =D.C.L.I=TJ - 05-26-2006 11:31 PM

Good work Roy, that looks top banana. The sky actually looks pretty nice in that video...

Keep it up, I\'d love to see some new TTR maps on the server(s)

RE: so I started making a map - Roy - 05-27-2006 10:44 AM

Thanks. I\'ve finally decided to make my own decorations pack, since it has some sexy things in it that some people might want to try (waving bushes, waving trees, a camo net that yes... is also animated). Basically anything I feel could use some animation will have it, if I complete the map that is.

However I\'m not including these to work with the wind manager. Also some neato 1024x1024 textures and some hacks to make mountains look like mountains. I\'ll post some screenshots later today, or tomorrow, or maybe the day after.

I\'m still trying to figure out how to add sounds for the foliage without needing to use triggers

RE: so I started making a map - Constrictor - 05-27-2006 02:20 PM

Do you want the sound to always be there or for it to be heard when you enter the foliage? It would be a lot easier to just keep the sound there. Use the AmbientSound actor, under Actor->Keypoint->AmbientSound.

RE: so I started making a map - Roy - 05-27-2006 10:42 PM

AHAHAHA I made it.

Zonetrigger + DinamicAmbientSound SEEMS to work perfectly. It also allows me to add several sounds so it doesnt sound repetitive. Now I have to decide whether this should be ClientSide only or if it would be better to replicate it to all players. It\'ll all depend on how it looks

RE: so I started making a map - Big-Al - 05-27-2006 11:17 PM

surely all player sould hear the same stuff at the same time?

RE: so I started making a map - Roy - 05-27-2006 11:51 PM

IF the sound is played within a certain radius and only players inside that area will receive it, then yes. Otherwise no.

RE: so I started making a map - Big-Al - 05-28-2006 01:18 AM

yeah Smile

indeed. still.. good to hear you are doing a new TTR map Smile

RE: so I started making a map - Roy - 06-01-2006 08:43 PM

Little update, as I haven\'t progressed much since I\'ve been pretty busy:

-I tweaked the terrain mesh, there shouldn\'t be virtually any BSP holes (I\'ve spotted 2 which are going to be buried by a rock)
-Still deciding whether I should enable the fog for the whole map or just small zones. The fog has no impact at all in my computer (Athlon XP 2600+ with GeForce Ti4200 <-- quite old) but bullet impacts are not drawn with it enabled (that\'s an UT \"feature\")
-I\'ve made the trigger to work; that is, the trigger that triggers the soundtrigger (by proximity), however the sound still refuses to play for some reason; i\'ll investigate a bit more
-The hedgerows are now cut by distance, so that when you are at a distance > a certain number they are not drawn; I had been able to add a brush that would to the opposite (if distance is < \"X\" then it dissapears) but for some reason I can\'t find the property that made it behave like that. sheet-like hedgerows for long distance, mesh for medium-short distance = better fps
-More decos, and that\'s about it.

At the moment the map is fully explorable and it takes around 2 minutes to go from one side to the other jogging, with no obstacles in it. I\'ll most likely cut several zones from being accessed but I still want to leave a few spots for very long-range sniping.

RE: so I started making a map - Roy - 06-06-2006 01:02 AM

So... I\'m still working on this from time to time. I\'ve added the trenches and a small bunker where the axis is supposed to spawn from. Also the ground is ready for 2 more buildings, and a granary will be one of them hopefully with stairs so there\'s a spot to watch at long distance.

I\'ve also made some neato fences (deco) very farm-like and a brush of the same exact size so it acts as blocker without killing the framerate aaand... well I removed the lighting for now, so the little you may be able to see is just a placeholder until I have all the textures in place.

[Image: ttrgranja05jun068xs.th.jpg]
Keep in mind that the big bald spot in the middle of the picture is where the crops will go, along with some cover etc.