[ghc]Games Forums
An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Printable Version

+- [ghc]Games Forums (http://forums.ghc-games.com)
+-- Forum: TTR General Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General Discussions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... (/showthread.php?tid=347)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Reno - 05-14-2005 01:09 PM

Alright, this blog focuses alot on about the whole \"engine wars\" thing of late, like \'can it match up to UE3 or source\'
very good points in this blog, so you should read it,
though there is a bit of language to it for you younger community members. just dont sue me.
http://angrydev.blogspot.com/

makes soem excellent points about the whole engine wars thing and what we SHOULD be focusing on(though make no doubts, we\'ll be pushing some newer features into the engine Wink )

Just seemed to strike me.

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - -=BYE=-RiptoR - 05-14-2005 04:21 PM

The guy has some good points, although I have the feeling he bought a Reality license himself :lol:

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - LivingTarget - 05-14-2005 10:05 PM

I think it\'s just the point that a cheap alternative was annihilated. Other then that I wouldn\'t go on saying Reality is much bigger then UE3. I don\'t give a shit about any shaders.

UE toolset > any toolset, that is pretty much a fact. Show me otherwise with images. A nice yes/no chart doesn\'t say too much to me.

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Smithcraft - 05-14-2005 10:48 PM

Graphics are good, but I think that point that is lost on most development teams/companies forget is that Gameplay is the most important part!

But I am sure that the discount on U3 won\'t even be worth while over the total cost of the engine.

Better than EA buying it!

SC

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - delerium10101 - 05-14-2005 11:31 PM

For reference, that is the blog of Pat Wilson, a Garage Games employee who worked on Zap, some T2D stuff, some TGE stuff, some TSE stuff, and also does XBox dev, including XBox 360 dev.

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - tomcat ha - 05-15-2005 12:00 AM

Whats that gamebyro engine? Never heared of it before.

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - =D.C.L.I=Everest - 05-15-2005 06:30 AM

Yeah... Stuff like that leaves me fairly indifferent Smile One question though: where would Torque in that yes/no graph?

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Reno - 05-15-2005 07:05 AM

well kepe in mind that TGE itself obviously will lack alot of those better, more high end features, but quite a few can be added without too much effort, like day/night...*cough*

TSE is still in its early adopters stage, but you can simply head over to the GG site and check out what they have planned for TSE, like dynamic lighting/shadows, better material system(than the one that\'s currently in, which is impressive in and of itself)
So its not entierly fair to compare completed engines alongside a still WIP engine either.
Not even looking at the fact that torque was built around easy modification of the source code, so lets see some of that in these \'higher end\" game engines, such as a procedural custom shader system like in TSE, i dont see that in some engines i know of.....

anyways[/rant]

RE: RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Smithcraft - 05-15-2005 07:09 AM

=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:Yeah... Stuff like that leaves me fairly indifferent Smile One question though: where would Torque in that yes/no graph?

That was a graph from the Reality Engine site, and only has to include what they feel like. Plus Torque might be considered as the little guy, so Reality was most likely only comparing the major heavy weights in the industry.

SC

RE: An interesting blog to make the point about engines.... - Reno - 05-15-2005 11:53 AM

this can be seen in pat\'s blog, but its such an impressive shot i wanna post it here

[Image: env2.jpg]

[Image: water.jpg]

[Image: blackforest.jpg]

All that is is TGE with the latest version of the light pack and mad art skills.

man, thats crazy.
toss a couple shaders on it and you might very quickly mistake it for UE3 stuff, if ya hadn\'tat first Tongue