[ghc]Games Forums
Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - Printable Version

+- [ghc]Games Forums (http://forums.ghc-games.com)
+-- Forum: TTR General Forums (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ideas and Suggestions (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) (/showthread.php?tid=20)

Pages: 1 2 3

Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - viper - 01-13-2005 10:43 AM

I had a brainwave tonight, I got hold of a book on all the weapons used in the WW2 today, with full photo\'s and details.

Soo what did I think?

Well basically this, to make TTR more unique and to stand out from the rest of the WW2 crowd how about integrating some \'unique\' weapons alongside some of the more common ones (for example the Garand). These \'unique\' weapons would be infantry rifles.etc that to my knowledge are not implemented in any other WW2 game and not many people would of heard of before.

What do you think, something that little bit special to help TTR stand out?

I\'ll post a list of possible weapons once I get the book back, my father is also a WW2 nut and he has stolen the book to read at this current moment.

Vips Smile

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - Reno - 01-13-2005 02:56 PM

hmmm, sounds rather good.
what does everyone else think?

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - Capone - 01-13-2005 04:02 PM

Uncommon guns would be cool as long as they are fun guns.

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - viper - 01-13-2005 06:06 PM

Ok cool, well here is a few examples of possible contenders (in total this book has 160 weapons in it, all guns Wink)

Rifles
Gewehr 41 (Germany)
Gewehr 98 (Germany)
Kar 98K/42 (RO did have this in early versions but changed to standard KAR for UT2004) {subjecively the better rifle to aim [tunneled front sight]}.
M2 Carbine (America)
P17 (America) [Very Rare in combat]

SMG
MP34(o) (Germany) {looked similar to STEN, spent mags loaded by inbuilt stripper clip feeder}

MG
MG15 (Germany) {More accurate than MG42}

AT
T Geweht (Germany)

Thats just a few,
Viper

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - ElvenKind - 01-13-2005 06:35 PM

Well, I personally think we should consider the validity of these weapons. If they were indeed very rare then what are every other guy on the battlefield doing holding one?

I hope our historians will comment on this.

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - viper - 01-13-2005 07:04 PM

I\'m not suggesting that every other man should have them but for them to be deployed relative to the amount that were in theatre... some of them were more common early on, others (like the M2) were more common later on.

So for that weapon, there would be 1 or 2 slots available on a map for it, so it is proportionally represented. That way giving some variability to the game and hopefully, educating new players that there are more weapons than what you see in the movies, as currently you see the \'big 8\' in computer games and movies.... and alot of people think thats all was in use.... (by big 8 I mean Thompson, BAR, Garand, M1 carb, K98, MP40, MG42, Stg44). Hence making TTR that bit more different from other WW2 games.

Others such as the MG15 were extremely common as they were cheap and easy to produce (Actually the same gun that was in the turrets of the HE-111 with a stock and bipod added). But towards the end of the war when the industry was being smashed to pieces, its all the Army was getting and they had to use them, as reliable as the MG42, more accurate but very very cumbersome.

Vips

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - The_Punisher - 01-15-2005 04:44 AM

That\'s sort of the problem I\'ve always had with the STG. It was not a common weapon, even after it was made. Yet it had such a large role in the Axis loadout, especially on maps where it should not exist.

There are problems with the other weapons (that I know of) too. For example, the G41 was perhaps, one of the shittiest weapons ever designed. It would often break just from firing it. The G43 was a lot better, but still no where near where I\'d put it to be useable in battle.

While I would not think it fun to have jamming and breaking, I think it would be required if you were to use some of these weapons.

The M2 Carbine was not used at all in the European theatre. It hadn\'t even gotten past testing in the Pacific. However, many people did file down the sear pin to make it fully auto. The problem then becomes that the gun would only be Full Auto, and it was more prone to jammings and breakages. Maybe you could possibly make this an option when choosing the M1 Carbine? Make it full auto at the risk of jams and breakages?

Post some more guns...

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - viper - 01-15-2005 04:49 AM

Erm Pun, according to my book, the M2 was used in \'extremely limited\' numbers during the late part of the european campaign during 1945.... the historian says it started appearing late 1944 in 1s and 2s but there were more by 1945, no exact service numbers for the M2 but he suggests, roughly the same as the P17 was in 1944...which was very few.

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - The_Punisher - 01-15-2005 06:15 AM

No, the M2 was not used in the Euro theatre at all. However, it\'s possible he got it confused with an M1c with a filed down sear pin.

Another point I forgot to make was about the Mg42. The German squad operated around the MG42 and it had various forms of Mobility. The LMG42 had a 50 round rotary type thing (as well as LMG34) and was very mobile with a bipod already attached. The MMG42 had a 250 round case with a detaichable small tripod that someone else would carry. It was still rather mobile. However, the HMG42 was not. It was a little bit heavier, and the tripod was extremely heavy and reinforced. It was meant for heavy fortified positions that you don\'t want moving back.

Anyway, as I was saying, just as the M1 Garand was the focus point of the US Squad, the Mg42 was the focus of the German. Take out the STG 44 but make sure the MG42 is in and it\'ll stay balanced, possibly swinging the power to the Germans sometimes.

RE: Thought I\'d get the first suggestion in (a real one at that) - viper - 01-18-2005 12:59 AM

Well as requested, a few more possible guns...

SMG:
MP28 (Germany) [This could also be a possible British weapon if they are ever implemented as they copied it and called it the Lanchester]

Special Mission Weapon:
Stevens Model .22/.410 combination rifle-shotgun. {USA} [carried by 8thAAF crews as a survival weapon... double barreled 1 rifle barrel another a shotgun, could be used for downed airmen on a few maps]

Pistols:
Walther PPK (germany) yes this WAS used in ww2
Radom wz.35 (germany) Polish pistol similar to Colt.45, used by SS Paratroopers.
Luger Artillary Model 1917 (germany) long barreled luger, issued to MG squads, excellent long range accuracy.

It seems the germans used many different weapons in smaller numbers compared the US\'s standardised system hence why there are alot more german weapons cropping up in the book. They utilised weapons from each captured country in the main army and hence why.

Vips

P.S. Actually found a movie where the Germans actually use the MP34.... Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade!!!