[ghc]Games Forums

Full Version: Religion: Murder, aids, abortion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Heres a nice little subject with absolutely no controversial potential:

A study conducted in 18 countries conludes that the proportion of murder, veneral disease and abortions in a given society, is closely connected to the number of religious people in that society. The more religious people you have, the worse it gets.

And before you go for my jugular: These results are published by scientist Gregory S. Paul in the Journal of Religion and Society. His research indicates that modern democracies where a large part of the population is religious, have more social problems than societies that are largely agnostic/atheist.

Japan, the Scandinavian countries and France come out of the comparison with good results, being countries with relaxed and pragmatic attitudes towards religion. We have comparatively few social problems.

On the other side of the spectrum: USA.

Note this: None of the countries in the study are Islamic. All were christian, apart from Japan. (Note 2: Not meant as a christianity vs islam debate).

8)

Discuss, but be nice.
OMG, Turbo... haven\'t you have just posted that this political forums should be closed? Tongue

Quote:Japan, the Scandinavian countries and France come out of the comparison with good results, being countries with relaxed and pragmatic attitudes towards religion. We have comparatively few social problems.
Apart from being the record countries in suicide rates Wink (that goes for Japan and you northern guys, not sure about le France).
It\'s the price to pay for a pragmatical non relligious way of life, I guess. Worth for me, if you ask.
shift Wrote:OMG, Turbo... haven\'t you have just posted that this political forums should be closed? Tongue

Lol, yes, but only because I keep making an ass of myself, not because I\'m offended. And that\'s not really a good reason, is it?

shift Wrote:Apart from being the record countries in suicide rates.

meself Wrote:We have comparatively few social problems.
I noticed before that \"things are generally better\" in Scandinavia, but I never figured the link with religion. Interesting.

But France? Don\'t know, to be honest :\\ Hasn\'t Paris been burning for the last 7 days? And part of that problem there, is religion. Maybe just a small part, but still. When was this study conducted, or over what time? Today\'s situation is totally different from yesterday\'s or tomorrow\'s...

As for AIDS and veneral diseases, it\'s pretty obvious to see a link with religion, so I\'ll refrain of going into that.

And yeah, the suicide rates of the \"good\" countries is significantly more remarkable than other countries\'s...

shift Wrote:It\'s the price to pay for a pragmatical non relligious way of life, I guess. Worth for me, if you ask.
:agree:
WTF happened to my post? Weird.

yes lets not forget that \"welcome to norway\" advert about 1/4 women being having recieved some form of domestic abuse Wink

anyway joking aside, i doubt the correrlation is as direct as that, simply i think the more religious a society the more backlash there is against the religio, leading to all that social crap

*edit*

As of courase as you said the more democtratic the country the more religious the population tends to be. We all know that the more democratic country in the world have more social issues, although the study did bring up some interesting results i doubt the are directly linked Tongue
SoulSurfer Wrote:

yes lets not forget that "welcome to norway" advert about 1/4 women being having recieved some form of domestic abuse Wink

Yeah, i don\'t think the tourist board was in on that one! Tongue

Linky!
Domestic violence is an old sore in all modern Western countries. Amnesty International has the tendency to desperately look for something bad everywhere, instead of focusing on the really awful stuff. I violently (figure of speech, of course Tongue) oppose domestic violence, but in light of genocides, cruel oppressive dictatorships, obstruction of the free presses and the likes, it doesn\'t seem a priority for an organisation such as AI. Buuut that\'s a whole new discussion that\'s not relevant here Smile

I don\'t believe that democratic and religious values are directly proportional. More correct would be: the more democratic a country is, the more tools a population is allowed by the government to explore religion in any way they wish. The most democratic countries in the world are outspokenly secular, because it doesn\'t matter what religious affinity you have to function in the gears of those countries.

And because of that, those countries are generally considered \"better\".
=D.C.L.I=Everest Wrote:Amnesty International has the tendency to desperately look for something bad everywhere, instead of focusing on the really awful stuff. I violently (figure of speech, of course Tongue) oppose domestic violence, but in light of genocides, cruel oppressive dictatorships, obstruction of the free presses and the likes, it doesn\'t seem a priority for an organisation such as AI. Buuut that\'s a whole new discussion that\'s not relevant here Smile

I don\'t think you should see it in that way, I think Amnesty International is big enough to be able to fight both real terrible things and the smaller violences (sp?). In other words, there is always room for improvement.
Yes there is, but like Evert i kind of view these \"domestic\" campaigns from Amnesty as more of an advertisement for themselves. And the use of statistics in the example above is very vague and shady, to say the least. Say a girl at 19 gets hit by her boyfriend once, but never experiences anything like it again for her whole life. She\'ll still be one of the four, so to speak.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's