[ghc]Games Forums

Full Version: \"Lest we Forget\"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Its a good bet that the significance of today is not known outside of the UK.

However, today 15th September... is Battle of Britain Rememberance day. The 15th September 1940 was \"Eagle Day\", the day the Luftwaffe attempted to deliver the final blow to the RAF in order to prepare for invasion. It failed, and lead to the most losses ever experienced by the Luftwaffe on a single day.

This day is quite rightly chosen to remember and celebrate the actions of the \"few\" that during that long summer turned the course of the war, in Western Europe atleast. Forcing the cancellation of Operation Sealion and saving the UK mainland from invasion.

So today, Britain remembers its fallen aviators and the sacrifice they made; they didn\'t have the best equipment, or the best training, they had the best tactics and the most courage.. enough to win the battle.

As the RAF\'s Battle of Britain Memorial Flights motto says \"lest we forget\"; and to help this a permanent memorial is to be placed on Victoria Embankment in Westminster.

Over the past week a number of UK events/tributes have been happening... here\'s a few photos from them...(not mine this time)
[Image: IMG_5442.jpg]
[Image: duxb03.jpg]
[Image: duxb13.jpg]
[Image: duxb14.jpg]
[Image: duxb28.jpg]
[Image: duxb32.jpg]
[Image: limage_05_15_3.jpg]

Just thought today deserved a tribute thread, it may help some members of the forum realise that whatever their problems are at the moment they are nothing compared to 65 years ago and without their sacrifice you wouldnt have the chance to live as you do right now.

Viper
well...
things would be different for sure...
but while some of us would never have been born, others amongst us could be doing rather well?
indeed well done vips

[Image: str1pin3.jpg]
GG Wink:tup:

Anyway, I\'m afraid that in my country things would\'ve been exactly the same for 40 years whatever the outcome. Ain\'t it cool? :roll:

[edit]

\"Lets\"? :con:
personaly though, i\'m glad that the nazis didn\'t win however.

good thread viper Smile
I\'ll second that one Al!

Great pics again Vips. Thanks for putting them here for us.

SC
Well the dutch are gratefull for theire offers. This date should be remembered.
Reference URL's