[ghc]Games Forums

Full Version: XML
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone of you know something about XML? Maybe even a lot?

I\'m currently working with creating a homepage based on XML and I keep running into small problems - something I see as the whole point of it Smile - and I\'m looking for answers, tips and hints.

At the moment I\'m working on creating a news system based on an XSL style sheet that will display titles/headlines from files in a numbered sequence (F00001.xml -> Fxxxxx.xml). This will ensure a news system that is easily updated by simply uploading a singe file to the server and the XSL style sheet will take care of the rest.

I\'m also working on upgrading my photo gallery to be somewhat similar in function. Basically divide the pictures into galleries and let a XSL sort it out.

The whole consept is based on \"as simple as possible\", no .net functions, no java, no nothing except XML and XSL.

My current \"problem\" to solve is how to select language. I have both norwegian and english titles, descriptions etc in a single file, but I can\'t figure out how to pass that information along to the XSL for processing.

Anyways, just thought I see if anyone here might know a little something Big Grin
*Shudders* Does this mean you are using the dreaded Filemaker?
The what now?
Never mind. (Filemaker, a very boring and complicated program that ultimately produces XML-files.)
I doing everything manually Wink

I learn more that way. Besides I get paid to do this Big Grin
Okay. Things are moving along nicely, but I have a request for some tips/hints regarding vb scripting. Here is the \"problem\" :

1. I have a number of xml-files named n%.xml (where % is a number from 0000 to 9999).
2. I need a single xml-file listing these filenames.

Also, is vb scripting supported on all platforms or is there another scripting language (keeping it simple) better suited for easy tasks like that.

Other functions I need from the scripting :
1. Ability to pass on parameters to another file spesifically for language selection.
Well, after a small test with the help of the =D.C.L.I= Crew I\'ve decided to go with Java instead of VB. It seems to have better support for both browsers and OSes.

I still need to do the same things :
1. Read files with a certain numbering and create a file-list in a new file.
2. Send information to another file depending on event (onClick).

Any help would be good as I\'m quite unfamiliar with Java. If I can make no. 1 happen I could always ommit no. 2 as I could use a file for it. Still, it would be better to have both.

Hopefully some of you can give me some clues as this is all that stands between me and my homepage atm. Thanks guys.
Right. Well, seeing as I\'m a bit new to scripting on web pages I take it some of you guys saw this one coming. I think PHP might be the way to go. It seems to be easier to find the snippets/tips/hints I need to do it aswell as it\'s browser support.

It seems to be the best solution. So yeah.

I\'ve downloaded a free program \"PHP Designer 2005\" and expect to experiment with it for a bit and then get it on. Hopefully you\'ll see a link in here sometime next week to my experimental XML site Smile

Tips and hints to do this are still welcome. I might need some.
Don\'t quit your day job! Tongue
I won\'t! Big Grin

Still, after checking out the PHP manual it seems pretty straight forward. I have after all programmed Pascal, C++ and VB for years. It should have some effect on my learning abilities Wink

Looking good so far. I\'m already busy reading and writing files Big Grin
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's